1. Standard memberKilroy70
    within reason
    Moves
    12 Nov '22 01:311 edit
    @averagejoe1 said
    But this does not change the concept. A guy borrows money. You support a movement to relieve them, Willy Billy, from the debt.
    Your post here points out remedies, debt relief, bkrptcy,, but fact remains you are quite liberal to do do this when there are alternative ways to spend this money for people that really need it.
    In all of these posts, you have never wan ...[text shortened]... head and talk to your circles and throw in bankruptcy court, etc. but what I’m saying is what it is.
    Given that the student loan forgiveness program has been blocked, because the Department of Education exceeded its authority, there might not be any payouts.

Time will tell, but it doesn't matter one way or the other for Democrats because the mid terms are over. The promise alone of another free money give away prior to mid terms would be enough to influence some voters.
    No actual give away needs to happen now, because the promise alone would be enough to give Dems a favorable bump in the mid terms... and it most likely did.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Nov '22 03:38
    @averagejoe1 said
    But this does not change the concept. A guy borrows money. You support a movement to relieve them, Willy Billy, from the debt.
    Your post here points out remedies, debt relief, bkrptcy,, but fact remains you are quite liberal to do do this when there are alternative ways to spend this money for people that really need it.
    In all of these posts, you have never wan ...[text shortened]... head and talk to your circles and throw in bankruptcy court, etc. but what I’m saying is what it is.
    Does it really need to be said that doing A doesn't stop you from doing B, C, D, etc. etc. etc.?
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Nov '22 03:39
    @kilroy70 said
    Given that the student loan forgiveness program has been blocked, because the Department of Education exceeded its authority, there might not be any payouts.

Time will tell, but it doesn't matter one way or the other for Democrats because the mid terms are over. The promise alone of another free money give away prior to mid terms would be enough to influence some voters. ...[text shortened]... mise alone would be enough to give Dems a favorable bump in the mid terms... and it most likely did.
    A forum shopped judge in Texas.

We'll see how long his injunction against the program lasts.
  4. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    12 Nov '22 11:51
    @kilroy70 said

Time will tell, but it doesn't matter one way or the other for Democrats because the mid terms are over. The promise alone of another free money give away prior to mid terms would be enough to influence some voters. ...[text shortened]... mise alone would be enough to give Dems a favorable bump in the mid terms... and it most likely did.
    Sure it did. And Biden no authority to do it anyway, as we all know. It was all a sham. The Democrats live a lie.
  5. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    12 Nov '22 11:53
    @no1marauder said

Marauder, a fair question. Do you think it is OK for Biden to succeed with getting what he wants in the way of tuition forgiveness, given that it is only an action that can be done by the Congress?
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '22 11:58
    @no1marauder said
    If people decided they'd be better off without a college education that's on them. Their past choices should have no influence on what is wise public policy now.
    If people decided they'd be better off with debt to get a college education that's on them. Did they not know it would be a burden? They must be really bad at math.

Are you sure those are the people you want in college?
    Don't you support free education for all people in the USA instead?
    Is Cuba generous or is the USA cheap?
  7. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    12 Nov '22 12:161 edit
    @no1marauder said

Oh, you will win all of your sick policies in the end, as I have always said. We’re just chatting here.
    I could think up the most outlandish policy that I could think of, and you could justify every bit of it. How do y’all do that?
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    12 Nov '22 12:21
    @metal-brain said
    If people decided they'd be better off with debt to get a college education that's on them. Did they not know it would be a burden? They must be really bad at math.

Make your mind up MB your all over the place here.
    What you want and what you can get very really coincide but do you or don’t you think student debt forgiveness is a good idea, if not why not.
    I would have paid for it by a special tax on big corporations and employers rather than making it a burden for the general tax payer but this versos better tan nothing because the advantages to any economy of a well educated work force is a no brainer
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '22 12:35
    @kevcvs57 said
    What you want and what you can get very really coincide but do you or don’t you think student debt forgiveness is a good idea, if not why not.
    I would have paid for it by a special tax on big corporations and employers rather than making it a burden for the general tax payer but this versos better tan nothing because the advantages to any economy of a well educated work force is a no brainer
    I don't like it when people cherry pick which kind of debt they choose to forgive. All debt is a burden. It is not fair to other people with a different kind of debt.
    The problem is the cost of higher education.

Either find a way to lower college costs or have government pay for it all. Cuba did the latter so we know it is possible.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Nov '22 13:05
    @averagejoe1 said
    Marauder, a fair question. Do you think it is OK for Biden to succeed with getting what he wants in the way of tuition forgiveness, given that it is only an action that can be done by the Congress?
    Congress already authorized the President to do this in the HEROES Act:

"The HEROES Act grants the Secretary of Education (“Secretary&rdquo😉
    the authority to “waive or modify any statutory or regulatory provision
    applicable to the student financial assistance programs under title IV of
    the Act [20 U.S.C. 1070 et seq.] as the Secretary deems necessary in
    connection with a war or other military operation or national
    emergency.” § 1098bb(a)(1)".

Trump used that provision to pause all student loan payments. No Trump appointed judge ruled he lacked the authority to do so.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Nov '22 13:12
    @metal-brain said

The question now is it in the best interests of the country to forgive at least a portion of the debt. Until you actually get to that question, this discussion is pointless as you haven't really raised any substantive criticism of the policy except to suggest it's not "fair". That's a subjective opinion whereas the benefits of the policy are fairly obvious; it will increase economic activity and reduce a significant burden on many middle and working class families enabling them to use their extra funds in more productive ways. The only negative is its cost, but $30 billion a year is really an insignificant amount compared to the overall Federal spending.
  12. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    12 Nov '22 17:36
    @kevcvs57 said
    You think corps and employers should bear all these private debts. What in the hell? Any others, like mtgs or car insurance premiums? How do y’all decide.? None of this is in the constitution, but in any event, how do you decide? And if you pay for some losers tuition, and I ask you to pay for my rich nephew’s tuition and you don’t, that is discrimination . You will be punishing my nephew for his success.
    There is no question that if this tuition thing goes through, then it is only natural for liberals to find something else to have the government pay off. you fellows don’t ever stop. I wish you would have never discovered the streets to march in.
  13. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    12 Nov '22 17:44
    @no1marauder said
    The question now is it in the best interests of the country to forgive at least a portion of the debt. Until you actually get to that question, this discussion is pointless as you haven't really raised any substantive criticism of the policy except to suggest it's not "fair". That's a subjective opinion whereas the benefits of the policy are fairly obvious; it will incre ...[text shortened]... , but $30 billion a year is really an insignificant amount compared to the overall Federal spending.
    There's right and wrong, moral and immoral. Curtailing a persons ability to pursue the education of their choice in order to pay for loan defaulters is both wrong and immoral, whether $30 or $30 billion.
  14. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    12 Nov '22 17:46
    @wajoma said
    There's right and wrong, moral and immoral. Curtailing a persons ability to pursue the education of their choice in order to pay for loan defaulters is both wrong and immoral, whether $30 or $30 billion.
    Not sure why I replied to No1's post, I expect to now hear the same 'elected officials' blah blah and a link to a near dead site spoodge.com
  15. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    12 Nov '22 18:09
    @wajoma said
    Not sure why I replied to No1's post, I expect to now hear the same 'elected officials' blah blah and a link to a near dead site spoodge.com
    His posts, confusing at best, so absolutely cerebral, are difficult to follow. He simply cannot address a. Issue like one might if sitting together chatting at Starbucks. Throw in a dash of superiority complex, and watch him go!
    Secretly tape his ruminations at the Starbucks table, and take it home and show it to your friends! I Will admit to taking my computer to coffee to show the boys the way liberals (don’t) think logically.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree