1. Standard memberKilroy70
    within reason
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 05:281 edit
    @no1marauder said
    Same as a tax cut; the government is saying it will take less from the People.

I thought you guys liked tax cuts?
    Okay. So the government will give back by taking less after frittering away the money they took to give it away (after calling it a loan) to someone who doesn't have to pay it back to anyone, and tax payers will receive benefits flowing to them because like it says in the Bible cast your bread upon the waters and it will come back to you... or something like that. The bit about benefits flowing my way sounds a bit vague and fuzzy.
  2. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 09:031 edit
    @no1marauder said
    A book on economics by a guy who wasn't an economist and, in fact, only briefly attended college.

Impressive.

It's too bad that the student loan program wasn't in effect when Hazlitt was young; he might have been able to afford to get an education and probably wouldn't have adopted such crackpot ideas.
    You've left a few items out of Hazlitts resume', his accomplishments despite his education are indeed impressive it reminded me of a Mencken quote:

"It is the classic fallacy of our time that a moron run through a university and decorated with a Ph.D. will thereby cease to be a moron."
    H. L. Mencken

Go on No1 fess up you have a PhD don't you, it'd be too perfect :^)

No1: Hilariously in this case the government is foregoing taking money from private citizens yet you are so ignorant that you think this is some expansion of government power.

The broken window fallacy is precisely for people like you. You need to take a step back for the whole picture you're ignoring the time, effort and resources that went into their education. Remember goobermint doesn't create anything it has to take that money from someone else, a someone that might like to have directed that money to their own education, their boat isn't being floated, it's being scuttled.
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 09:131 edit
    @wajoma said
    AKA "The Broken Window Fallacy"

During the night a vandal smashes the window of the bakery, the people of the town stand around tsk, tsking how bad it is, then the town ijit Roughslow speaks up, it's not so bad, think of the glazier, he's going have new business repairing the window, and then there's the glass manufacturer, and all the suppliers to the glass manufacturer, t ...[text shortened]... on who smashed the bakers window.

Get your head straight: Henry Hazlitt "Economics in One Lesson"
    Libertarians don’t understand economics on a macro level their last big ideas were the invisible hand and trickle down economics. 😂
    Unfortunately they didn’t factor in irrational human greed that causes the rich to amass more and more wealth thus starving the actual economy of fuel.
  4. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 09:221 edit
    @kevcvs57 said
    Libertarians don’t understand economics on a macro level their last big ideas were the invisible hand and trickle down economics. 😂
    Unfortunately they didn’t factor in irrational human greed that causes the rich to amass more and more wealth thus starving the actual economy of fuel.
    As accessible as Hazlitt tried to make his economics alas it is still over kevs head. :^/
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 11:10
    @kevcvs57 said
    You actually said something I agree with you on.

Unfortunately both major political parties in the USA are running the economy like libertarians. The libertarians are just honest about it. The dem and repubs are just lying if they say different. Their serving the oligarchy gives them away.

The Rockefellers run my country. They have been running this country since they put William McKinley in power. It is no coincidence that we became an empire at the same time and started invading some of Spain's colonies to make them our own. That is why William McKinley was assassinated. Then T. Roosevelt took over where he left off. It changed nothing.
  6. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 11:33
    @soothfast said
    You really think dropping cash out of helicopters will achieve the same results as the student loan forgiveness program? Do you have an 8-bit brain or something? Because that is remarkably unnuanced thinking.

But yeah, I get it, you're trolling for attention. You can get that just waving your willy at the bus station, so get going.
    Soothfast...It would indeed certainly be more fair. You libs like fair. Right now, only people in college get this free money to do with as they will.
    Since they can do what they want to with it, then, yes, the helicopter-drop would be a more proper and fair delivery of the money. You can deride this logic all you'd like, but it is correct.
  7. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 11:38
    @no1marauder said
    Same as a tax cut; the government is saying it will take less from the People.

I thought you guys liked tax cuts?
    No, no, no.....The govt is taking less from SOME of the people. They are thus discriminating, being selective.
    Some of the people, Marauder, Some of the people. I wonder, what should the govt tell the unfortunate people who are passed over for free money, who never had a shot at college? Do you think there should at least be a formal explanation from the Oval Office?
  8. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 11:43
    @kilroy70 said
    Okay. So the government will give back by taking less after frittering away the money they took to give it away (after calling it a loan) to someone who doesn't have to pay it back to anyone, and tax payers will receive benefits flowing to them because like it says in the Bible cast your bread upon the waters and it will come back to you... or something like that. The bit about benefits flowing my way sounds a bit vague and fuzzy.
    The lib logic in this thread is non-existent.
    I will credit them,, however, for not mentioning Trump, and for keeping at least one foot on the track. One might have said.." What if the helicopter crashes' or some lame line like that.
  9. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 11:47
    @averagejoe1 said
    Some of the people.
    SOME
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 12:05
    @wajoma said
    You've left a few items out of Hazlitts resume', his accomplishments despite his education are indeed impressive it reminded me of a Mencken quote:

"It is the classic fallacy of our time that a moron run through a university and decorated with a Ph.D. will thereby cease to be a moron."
    H. L. Mencken

Go on No1 fess up you have a PhD don't you, it'd be too perfect ...[text shortened]... ave directed that money to their own education, their boat isn't being floated, it's being scuttled.
    Maybe you would go to a heart surgeon who skipped all that unnecessary education.

A better educated populace is a positive externality and money spent to educate the People is well spent. It was created and maintained by the democratically elected representatives of the People.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 12:19
    @averagejoe1 said
    No, no, no.....The govt is taking less from SOME of the people. They are thus discriminating, being selective.
    Some of the people, Marauder, Some of the people. I wonder, what should the govt tell the unfortunate people who are passed over for free money, who never had a shot at college? Do you think there should at least be a formal explanation from the Oval Office?
    So what? A tax cut on income or dividends or capital gains benefits "some of the People", too.

AFAIK, the student loan program was available for anyone to apply to. If some people decided not to take advantage of it, that was their choice. That hardly means we should cut off our nose to spite our face by not taking advantage of the obvious benefits of the program and of the partial foregiveness of student loan debt.
  12. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 12:27
    @no1marauder said
    So what? A tax cut on income or dividends or capital gains benefits "some of the People", too.

AFAIK, the student loan program was available for anyone to apply to. If some people decided not to take advantage of it, that was their choice. That hardly means we should cut off our nose to spite our face by not taking advantage of the obvious benefits of the program and of the partial foregiveness of student loan debt.
    So, is this process, the bailout by the govt, what you mean when you mention 'safety net' all the time? You and Sooth ought to open separate threads on Safety Net and Greed, respectively.
    I hope you begin yours by telling us who qualifies for govt safety nets. Why, I bet I could justify a case for myself.
  13. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 12:41
    @no1marauder said

Wow. You equate the giveaway program, which is for Some of the people, with the broad-based collection of taxes under our tax laws which apply to every citizen?
    Your lack of logic is shining.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 12:50
    @averagejoe1 said
    Wow. You equate the giveaway program, which is for Some of the people, with the broad-based collection of taxes under our tax laws which apply to every citizen?
    Your lack of logic is shining.
    Joe, I can't help that you're a simpleton who believes whatever right wing media tells you.
    If you can't understand my post, that's your problem; there is varying treatment of certain types of income in the tax laws whether you're aware of this or not.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 13:06
    @no1marauder said

" If some people decided not to take advantage of it, that was their choice."

But they made that choice before they knew they could get student loan forgiveness. That means people who declined because it was too much money are being penalized for not being foolish and you are rewarding people with poor judgement and/or intellectually challenged. Aren't the former the people you want in college rather than the latter?

The obvious solution is for government to provide free education.
    If Cuba can afford it the USA can.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree