1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 13:32
    @metal-brain said
    " If some people decided not to take advantage of it, that was their choice."

But they made that choice before they knew they could get student loan forgiveness. That means people who declined because it was too much money are being penalized for not being foolish and you are rewarding people with poor judgement and/or intellectually challenged. Aren't the former the p ...[text shortened]... e obvious solution is for government to provide free education.
    If Cuba can afford it the USA can.
    I'm not even going to bother with the immense illogic of this post; no we don't want people in college who don't want to be there.
  2. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 14:23
    @no1marauder said
    I'm not even going to bother with the immense illogic of this post; no we don't want people in college who don't want to be there.
    Marauder, could you please reckon with MB comment that when the loan decisions were made, they did not anticipate that they would get this forgiveness?
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 14:401 edit
    @averagejoe1 said
    Marauder, could you please reckon with MB comment that when the loan decisions were made, they did not anticipate that they would get this forgiveness?
    Did them corporations that received those tax breaks from Trump anticipate them when they formed themselves into corporations?
    The same corporations that squeeze a profit from the education and skills those students had to pay for instead of getting apprenticeships from them corporations?
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 14:40
    @no1marauder said
    If they looked into a student loan they wanted to be there. They only declined because of the high cost. If they had known student loan forgiveness was in the future they would have borrowed the money. Now you have people in college that are not smart enough to do a competent cost/benefit analysis. Not the brightest of students.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 14:43
    @averagejoe1 said
    No, because it is pointless.

People who decided not to go to college would not have made a different decision based on the off-chance that at some indefinite time in future there might be some limited forgiveness of some part of student loan debt that they might or might not take out.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 14:451 edit
    @metal-brain said
    If they looked into a student loan they wanted to be there. They only declined because of the high cost. If they had known student loan forgiveness was in the future they would have borrowed the money. Now you have people in college that are not smart enough to do a competent cost/benefit analysis. Not the brightest of students.
    If people decided they'd be better off without a college education that's on them. Their past choices should have no influence on what is wise public policy now.
  7. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 14:50
    @kevcvs57 said
    Did them corporations that received those tax breaks from Trump anticipate them when they formed themselves into corporations?
    The same corporations that squeeze a profit from the education and skills those students had to pay for instead of getting apprenticeships from them corporations?
    Great . Let’s discuss that issue, which first means of course we have to list totally irrelevant factors not related to the issue at hand. Certainly you do not think that the legislators, when looking at these two issues involving money , would have the same common denominators.
  8. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 14:52
    @no1marauder said
    If people decided they'd be better off without a college education that's on them. Their past choices should have no influence on what is wise public policy now.
    There you go again. You think people years ago, sat down and made an educated decision on whether or not to go to college, having decided they would be better off if they did not go to college. Is that what you are saying?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 14:55
    @averagejoe1 said
    There you go again. You think people years ago, sat down and made an educated decision on whether or not to go to college, having decided they would be better off if they did not go to college. Is that what you are saying?
    Yes.

There's been ample funding for people who wanted to go to college in the US for at least 50 years.
  10. Standard memberKilroy70
    within reason
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 16:45
    @no1marauder said
    Maybe you would go to a heart surgeon who skipped all that unnecessary education.

A better educated populace is a positive externality and money spent to educate the People is well spent. It was created and maintained by the democratically elected representatives of the People.
    Of course, what better way to maintain control over "the People" than to be in control of their education. And if the lessons don't stick the government should also provide (at the taxpayers expense) centers of re-education.
  11. Standard memberKilroy70
    within reason
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 16:501 edit
    @averagejoe1 said
    The lib logic in this thread is non-existent.
    (I recently posted this in the GF. It bears repeating here)

I blame the government subsidized (i.e. controlled) educational system. A college degree used to mean something, now it's just an expensive trophy to hang on the wall.

YouTube
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 16:52
    @kilroy70 said
    Of course, what better way to maintain control over "the People" than to be in control of their education. And if the lessons don't stick the government should also provide (at the taxpayers expense) centers of re-education.
    If you would continue this post with "they should just watch fox news or breitbart for real education" i would complete my "dumb crap conservatives say" bingo card
  13. Standard memberKilroy70
    within reason
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 17:09
    @zahlanzi said
    If you would continue this post with "they should just watch fox news or breitbart for real education" i would complete my "dumb crap conservatives say" bingo card
    China has government funded centers for re-education. It seems to work for accomplishing the Chinese governments goals, so maybe it could work for us as well.

What do you think, comrade? In time we might be able to completely eradicate all right wing news sources.
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 17:14
    @averagejoe1 said
    Great . Let’s discuss that issue, which first means of course we have to list totally irrelevant factors not related to the issue at hand. Certainly you do not think that the legislators, when looking at these two issues involving money , would have the same common denominators.
    But they are exactly the same why were corporations given tax breaks that they couldn’t possibly of anticipated, if I had know about the tax breaks I might have started a corporation.
    Just trying to get you to see how utterly stupid your stance is Joe we pay our money and make our choices.
    My point about apprenticeships was deadly serious though
  15. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 17:41
    @zahlanzi said
    Tell us something you have heard on Breitbart that is fake news. I can’t wait to hear it. But you won’t send it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree