73% of tuition recipients will spend to travel and dine

73% of tuition recipients will spend to travel and dine

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z

Moves
13 Nov 22

@metal-brain said
It is not fair and that is obvious. What about the students that paid their debt and are seeing people get relief they didn't. I didn't like the 1.9 trillion stimulus bill either. 90% of it went to wealthy people.

Do you have a problem with government providing free education for all Americans? Are you too far to the right for that?
"It is not fair and that is obvious. What about the students that paid their debt and are seeing people get relief they didn't"
For people that aren't sociopaths it's not that obvious. You are basically saying getting rid of asbestos in building is unfair for all the people that got sick from it. That it is unfair for all who died of diabetes that insulin got invented

Lake Como

Moves
13 Nov 22
1 edit

@no1marauder said
Since you guys like simple minded analogies so much:

Guy A is scheduled to pay $100,000 in taxes over the next ten years. The government cuts his taxes by 20% saving him $20,000.

Guy B is scheduled to pay $100,000 in student loan debt payments over the next ten years. The government decides to forgive a portion of that debt saving him $20,000.

Describe how this would have different effects on A) Government revenue and B) Overall economic activity.
Guy A is not 'paying back' a loan. So we cannot compare the two. we can't.
You might as well include Guy C in the scenario, who owes $100k in fines to govt. The govt reduces his debt to $80k.

So, the definition, the concept, the status of each 80K is different.

Guy A, paying his earned money to govt.
Guy B, paying govt money BACK to them. Whew.
Guy C, paying money to govt which is even different.
There are many sources of money, but you say the tuition money is altogether different. Why is it different?
As to economic activity, I guess it would be negatively affected, given our treasury shortage of which you speak. You do see the treasury is short $20K?

This is true double speak, you are reaching.

MB

Moves
13 Nov 22

@no1marauder said
No, that would be unfair to those who had to pay for their education according to the logic you just used in the first paragraph.

How you can write such blatantly self-contradictory nonsense is hard to fathom.

But anyway doing Thing A doesn't prevent one from doing Things B, C, D, etc.
Because education should be a human right.
You are just a moderate republican DINO. You are more like Average Joe than you will ever admit.

Lake Como

Moves
13 Nov 22

@averagejoe1 said

Guy C, paying money to govt which is even different.
Another point. Certainly you are aware that A is putting HIS money into the treasury, which money, follow me here, will be given right out to debtors like our student.
SO, when student does not pay it back, he in effect used the money of Guy A to further his life. Marauder?

Lake Como

Moves
13 Nov 22

@metal-brain said
Because education should be a human right.
You are just a moderate republican DINO. You are more like Average Joe than you will ever admit.
He is obviously educated, and surely has logic and rationale, common sense. Like my very post here. So, what is his game?? That feller is trying to stir us up and he is succeeding!

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Nov 22

@averagejoe1 said
Guy A is not 'paying back' a loan. So we cannot compare the two. we can't.
You might as well include Guy C in the scenario, who owes $100k in fines to govt. The govt reduces his debt to $80k.

So, the definition, the concept, the status of each 80K is different.

Guy C, payi ...[text shortened]... speak. You do see the treasury is short $20K?

This is true double speak, you are reaching.
We're not talking about the $80,000 each winds up paying but the $20,000 they don't.

It's the same thing in It's effect whether you right wingers understand and/or admit it or not.

Lake Como

Moves
13 Nov 22

@zahlanzi said
"It is not fair and that is obvious. What about the students that paid their debt and are seeing people get relief they didn't"
For people that aren't sociopaths it's not that obvious. You are basically saying getting rid of asbestos in building is unfair for all the people that got sick from it. That it is unfair for all who died of diabetes that insulin got invented
You need to brush up on analogies. Marauder's, though fraught with nonsense above,. was darn good

Lake Como

Moves
13 Nov 22
1 edit

@no1marauder said
We're not talking about the $80,000 each winds up paying but the $20,000 they don't.

It's the same thing in It's effect whether you right wingers understand and/or admit it or not.
well, then, you are not very convincing about the 20k.

For example, Guy A gets to spend his (earned)$20k, buy a car. But can you tell me, is he part of a select group who don't have to pay the $20k? My neighbor may get the break, but I won't. An example of your incomplete reasoning.
Then, consider Guy B will buy a car, but it will be at the expense of Guy A, as I mention above ......govt simply GIVES him the money.

So this is my take on the $20k. Am I wrong?

Lake Como

Moves
13 Nov 22

I hope you all will enjoy this, Marauder's mind will answer it!!!!!

Three men checked into a hotel room and were charged $30 for which they paid $10 each. The next day, the manager realized that the men had been overcharged since the real price is $25 for the room. The manager gave the bellhop $5 to return to the three men. On the way to their room the bellhop decided to keep $2 for himself so he wouldn't have to make change. The bellhop gave $1 to each man. The three men had now paid $9 each, or a total of $27. This, plus the $2 the bellhop kept for himself, makes a total of $29. What happened to the other dollar?

MB

Moves
13 Nov 22

@averagejoe1 said
He is obviously educated, and surely has logic and rationale, common sense. Like my very post here. So, what is his game?? That feller is trying to stir us up and he is succeeding!
Jimmy Dore agrees with him. The court blocked student debt relief.
This will get no1 riled up.

https://rumble.com/v1tsqik-court-blocks-bidens-student-debt-relief-as-unconstitutional.html

Lake Como

Moves
13 Nov 22

@metal-brain said
Jimmy Dore agrees with him. The court blocked student debt relief.
This will get no1 riled up.

https://rumble.com/v1tsqik-court-blocks-bidens-student-debt-relief-as-unconstitutional.html
He will realize that we can’t afford it . Did you see where he says it is not much money? Problem with that reasoning, libs keep spending. He says it like, that will be it. Do you think Marauder just might get behind some new program, maybe a solar panel on every house. Only a few billion.
Naaa he ain’t no DINO, he is the real tamale.

MB

Moves
14 Nov 22

@averagejoe1 said
He will realize that we can’t afford it . Did you see where he says it is not much money? Problem with that reasoning, libs keep spending. He says it like, that will be it. Do you think Marauder just might get behind some new program, maybe a solar panel on every house. Only a few billion.
Naaa he ain’t no DINO, he is the real tamale.
If Cuba can afford free education the USA can. Unless the national debt is too high, but if that is the case why aren't we being told it is a problem?

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
14 Nov 22

@metal-brain said
If Cuba can afford free education the USA can. Unless the national debt is too high, but if that is the case why aren't we being told it is a problem?
There's no such thing as 'free' in the way you abuse the word. You should use 'state funded' remembering that the state doesn't fund anything without taking it from someone else.

It would be 'free' if it were given free from force and threats of force. It does happen but the more the goobermint takes on the role the less people become free and the less they give freely.

The welfare state kills the noble virtue of genuine benevolence.

Lake Como

Moves
14 Nov 22

@metal-brain said
This is stuff for another thread . Keep your eye on the sparrow, we have No1 cornered.

Lake Como

Moves
14 Nov 22

@wajoma said
There's no such thing as 'free' in the way you abuse the word. You should use 'state funded' remembering that the state doesn't fund anything without taking it from someone else.

It would be 'free' if it were given free from force and threats of force. It does happen but the more the goobermint takes on the role the less people become free and the less they give freely.

The welfare state kills the noble virtue of genuine benevolence.
It always kills real Yale-like educations. Another thread-worthy subject.
What hell happened to Marauder? I don’t think they do street marches on Sunday.