73% of tuition recipients will spend to travel and dine

73% of tuition recipients will spend to travel and dine

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lake Como

Moves
14 Nov 22

@no1marauder said
That the bellhop stole $2 doesn't change the fact that 30-5=25. There is no "missing dollar".

The simplest way to look at it is that each man should have paid $8.33 which is 1/3 of $25. Instead they paid $9 which was $8.33 apiece for the room and 67 cents apiece or $2 to the bellhop.
Yes, I am sure your numbers are quite correct. I majored in English myself, so not much on numbers.
But that is not the issue, is it. This thread shows that you fellows cannot stay with an issue. Where is the dollar? That is the only question. And this is based on demonstrative evidence. Clerk, bellhop, 3 men, and 30 real dollars, which all have started at the desk.
This is all just for fun after a couple incendiary weeks on the forum. Just for fun, please don’t get mad at average Joe. Let’s get some creative answers. 😙

Lake Como

Moves
14 Nov 22

@kilroy70 said
Yes, the cost of the room is $25. But the 3 men don't know that. After getting back $3 they would naturally assume the actual cost to be $27.

The three men believed the cost of the room is $27 after paying $30 ($10 each) and getting back $3. But the actual cost of the room is $25. They wouldn't know the reimbursement should have been $5 instead of $3 unless the bel ...[text shortened]... of the room is $25. But you can't get to $25 from $27 by adding $2, you get there by subtracting $2.
I hate it man, but the fallacy here is that what the men think about things is really not relevant . You could interject other thoughts, a great one, being that they beat up the bellhop in the hallway. But let us remember he only has two dollars in his pocket, because the men got the other three.

K
within reason

Moves
14 Nov 22

@averagejoe1 said
I hate it man, but the fallacy here is that what the men think about things is really not relevant . You could interject other thoughts, a great one, being that they beat up the bellhop in the hallway. But let us remember he only has two dollars in his pocket, because the men got the other three.
If there is a correct answer I can't wait to see what it is. Until then I'll stick to my assertion that there is no missing dollar.

There's nothing I can see in the riddle that points to where that dollar went. The manager doesn't have it, the 3 men don't have it, the bellhop doesn't have it... so where is it?
Is there really an answer showing where that dollar is? I think we can both agree it didn't fly out the window, or get sucked into an interdimensional vortex and dropped into a parallel reality.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
14 Nov 22

@averagejoe1 said
There is no "missing dollar". After the actions taken in your scenario, the money is allocated as follows:

The Hotel: $25 (the original $30-$5 refund)

The Bellhop: $2 (the money he pocketed)

Guy A: $1 (the portion of the refund the bellhop gave him)

Guy B: $1 (same as Guy A)

Guy C: $1 (Same as Guys A and B).

So 25 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 30

K
within reason

Moves
15 Nov 22
2 edits

@averagejoe1 said
$27 was never the true cost of the room.

$25 was the true cost. $2/bellhop plus $3/men subtracted from $30 for the room equals $25.

In the riddle the bellhops $2 was not added to the true cost of the room. If it was added to the true cost ($25) there would be no "missing" dollar.

$27 was a perceived cost, but not a true cost.

K
within reason

Moves
15 Nov 22

@averagejoe1 said
Yes, I am sure your numbers are quite correct. I majored in English myself, so not much on numbers.
But that is not the issue, is it. This thread shows that you fellows cannot stay with an issue. Where is the dollar? That is the only question. And this is based on demonstrative evidence. Clerk, bellhop, 3 men, and 30 real dollars, which all have started at the desk.
...[text shortened]... on the forum. Just for fun, please don’t get mad at average Joe. Let’s get some creative answers. 😙
"Where is the dollar? That is the only question."

Where do I start looking for a dollar that doesn't exist?
Is this a snipe hunt?
A wild goose chase?

Lake Como

Moves
15 Nov 22

@kilroy70 said
"Where is the dollar? That is the only question."

Where do I start looking for a dollar that doesn't exist?
Is this a snipe hunt?
A wild goose chase?
I think Marauder is onto something. I have to re read the question. If it is that easy why is it an un fathomable riddle?

Lake Como

Moves
15 Nov 22

@no1marauder said
I'm sure you wouldn't. Here's some help from an anarchist website:

"Anarchists define "private property" (or just "property," for short) as state-protected monopolies of certain objects or privileges which are used to exploit others. "Possession," on the other hand, is ownership of things that are not used to exploit others (e.g. a car, a refrigerator, a toothbrush, et ...[text shortened]... sing out grants of land to his family or cronies (often those most successful at murdering for him).
Many thanks for Marauder joining in the fun.
But this, you can't kid a kidder. Anarchist dictionary? The 'State'?
Tell us, is this a more proper definition of property? Or yours, the stuff about being a possession or whatever?

Private property is a legal designation for the ownership of property by non-governmental legal entities. Private property is distinguishable from public property, which is owned by a state entity, and from collective or cooperative property, which is owned by a group of non-governmental entities. Wikipedia

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
15 Nov 22

@averagejoe1 said
Many thanks for Marauder joining in the fun.
But this, you can't kid a kidder. Anarchist dictionary? The 'State'?
Tell us, is this a more proper definition of property? Or yours, the stuff about being a possession or whatever?

Private property is a legal designation for the ownership of property by non-governmental legal entities. Private property is di ...[text shortened]... ollective or cooperative property, which is owned by a group of non-governmental entities. Wikipedia
That definition is useless for our discussion; no one objects to anyone owning a toothbrush which would fit it.

K
within reason

Moves
15 Nov 22

@averagejoe1 said
I think Marauder is onto something. I have to re read the question. If it is that easy why is it an un fathomable riddle?
It's a good riddle, but hardly unfathomable. My starting point was to realize there was no missing dollar.
I mean come on... in the course of doing math operations a material object seems to mysteriously disappear?

It's a magic trick, and the slight of hand occurred when something was added when it should have been subtracted.

K
within reason

Moves
15 Nov 22
2 edits

K
within reason

Moves
15 Nov 22

@kilroy70 said
It's a good riddle, but hardly unfathomable. My starting point was to realize there was no missing dollar.
I mean come on... in the course of doing math operations a material object seems to mysteriously disappear?

It's a magic trick, and the slight of hand occurred when something was added when it should have been subtracted.
Here's what happened

The three dollar reimbursement is subtracted from the $30 payed for the room ($27). The bellhops $2 is then added to that $27 bringing the total up to $29, and your question is "what happened to the missing dollar?"

But look what happens if you subtract the $2 from $30 and then add the $3. The total is $31, so the question now becomes "where did the extra dollar come from?"

You should either start with the highest number ($30) and subtract until you reach the lowest number ($25), or start with the lowest number and add until you reach the highest number. Either way there is no missing dollar or extra dollar.

I rest my case

MB

Moves
15 Nov 22
2 edits

@athousandyoung said
The Democrats have consistently brought down deficit spending over the last few decades which is necessary to reduce the debt don’t let the MAGA propaganda fool you
That is absurd. The only person that is being fooled by propaganda is you.

I remember when Bill Clinton was boasting about how he balanced the budget. He did not decrease the national debt, but people like you thought that is what it meant.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/0bd7d5f6-6ee5-33bb-a38c-5c68c8124937/student-loan-cancellation-in.html

Lake Como

Moves
15 Nov 22

@kilroy70 said
Here's what happened

The three dollar reimbursement is subtracted from the $30 payed for the room ($27). The bellhops $2 is then added to that $27 bringing the total up to $29, and your question is "what happened to the missing dollar?"

But look what happens if you subtract the $2 from $30 and then add the $3. The total is $31, so the question now becomes ...[text shortened]... ither way there is no missing dollar or extra dollar.

I rest my case https://youtu.be/L_IOsLYVKkY
Great Kilroy. Interesting take on it, sharpening all of our minds. We need to be at our best when Marauderites devise and implement their move to restructure the ownership of ‘property’ in this country. I will be hurt the most, I have a bunch of it! First query, will they give me FMV for it, or nationalize it, or something in between?

MB

Moves
15 Nov 22

@AverageJoe1
It will probably be taken to the SCOTUS.
A lower court ruled it unconstitutional, but I don't see why it would be. I get a tax refund every year and it is more than taxes withheld. If student loan relief is unconstitutional then the child tax credit is unconstitutional. It is an obvious contradiction.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/0bd7d5f6-6ee5-33bb-a38c-5c68c8124937/student-loan-cancellation-in.html