73% of tuition recipients will spend to travel and dine

73% of tuition recipients will spend to travel and dine

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Nov 22

Since you guys like simple minded analogies so much:

Guy A is scheduled to pay $100,000 in taxes over the next ten years. The government cuts his taxes by 20% saving him $20,000.

Guy B is scheduled to pay $100,000 in student loan debt payments over the next ten years. The government decides to forgive a portion of that debt saving him $20,000.

Describe how this would have different effects on A) Government revenue and B) Overall economic activity.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Nov 22

@averagejoe1 said
He is telling us it doesn’t exist. If 1000 of us lived on an island and our tax vault loaned $1000 to Mott, he would pay it to XYZ College for his tuition. Marauder says when they tell him not to pay it back, no harm is done? So, the money went out, XYZ got it. Marauder says to NOT replenish the treasury, suggesting the assets in treasury have not been affected. Yet, the ...[text shortened]... is, in fact, $1000 short.
If Marauder is still here, you will not understand his explanation.
So...

Is XYZ College on the island and staffed by islanders?

K
within reason

Moves
13 Nov 22

@no1marauder said
Since you guys like simple minded analogies so much:

Guy A is scheduled to pay $100,000 in taxes over the next ten years. The government cuts his taxes by 20% saving him $20,000.

Guy B is scheduled to pay $100,000 in student loan debt payments over the next ten years. The government decides to forgive a portion of that debt saving him $20,000.

Describe how this would have different effects on A) Government revenue and B) Overall economic activity.
Guy A is required to pay the government a tax based on his earnings.

Is Guy B required to pay a tax based on any portion of the 100,000 dollars loaned (or given) to him by the government?

K
within reason

Moves
13 Nov 22

@athousandyoung said
So...

Is XYZ College on the island and staffed by islanders?
Yes. It's a liberal arts college, and a degree in basket weaving only costs one thousand clams... plus tax.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Nov 22

@kilroy70 said
Guy A is required to pay the government a tax based on his earnings.

Is Guy B required to pay a tax based on any portion of the 100,000 dollars loaned (or given) to him by the government?
That's not relevant to my questions. Neither Guy A or Guy B gets taxed on the $20,000 the government's actions saved them.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Nov 22

@kilroy70 said
Yes. It's a liberal arts college, and a degree in basket weaving only costs one thousand clams... plus tax.
On a primitive island such a degree is invaluable. Encouraging such education would create a powerful basket production industry which could be taxed to refill the treasury. Problem solved.

K
within reason

Moves
13 Nov 22

@no1marauder said
That's not relevant to my questions. Neither Guy A or Guy B gets taxed on the $20,000 the government's actions saved them.
You didn't ask any questions. You set up a scenario where it appears both Guy A and Guy B both benefited from the governments actions.

If you take a ten dollar bill from my pocket then I'm out ten dollars. But now you're giving me back 2 dollars and calling it a benefit.
Oh happy days, lucky me!

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
13 Nov 22
1 edit

@no1marauder said
It's debt owed to the government itself.

Would you make the same argument if the government forgave $30 billion in taxes owed?
Somebody has to pay for their education. As I have said Hazlitts 'broken window' applies directly to this situation. You need to take another step backward to get the whole picture in. You're looking at the Glazier and the window manufacturer, and the window manufacturer supplier but you're missing the baker who has to pay for the window. The "Broken Window Fallacy" was written specifically for you. And when you grasp what's happening you'll see it can be applied in many situations.

Hazlitt made it accessible, he explains it 20 times better than myself, too bad you'll never read him because he left school before you.

MB

Moves
13 Nov 22
2 edits

@no1marauder said
The question now is it in the best interests of the country to forgive at least a portion of the debt. Until you actually get to that question, this discussion is pointless as you haven't really raised any substantive criticism of the policy except to suggest it's not "fair". That's a subjective opinion whereas the benefits of the policy are fairly obvious; it will incre ...[text shortened]... , but $30 billion a year is really an insignificant amount compared to the overall Federal spending.
It is not fair and that is obvious. What about the students that paid their debt and are seeing people get relief they didn't. I didn't like the 1.9 trillion stimulus bill either. 90% of it went to wealthy people.

Do you have a problem with government providing free education for all Americans? Are you too far to the right for that?

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
13 Nov 22
3 edits

@soothfast said
Actually, dumbass, this was one of the very arguments in favor of the student loan forgiveness program: it was projected that it would result in an infusion of money for goods and services, thereby buoying the economy, increasing tax revenue, and raising all boats.

Jesus, you are a hopeless dolt.
that's not right, regardless what they say, as it is a net sum gain of zero as these monies are not created on the printing press.
If this tuition forgiveness did not happen, the lending institutions will still get theirs,
and the government would simply spend those monies elsewhere. Take from one sector give to another.

so simple, even a liberal can understand it.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
13 Nov 22

Oh, and I would much rather they applied those dollars to paying off some of America's debt.

that would be something to behold

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Nov 22
1 edit

@wajoma said
Somebody has to pay for their education. As I have said Hazlitts 'broken window' applies directly to this situation. You need to take another step backward to get the whole picture in. You're looking at the Glazier and the window manufacturer, and the window manufacturer supplier but you're missing the baker who has to pay for the window. The "Broken Window Fallacy" was wri ...[text shortened]... ins it 20 times better than myself, too bad you'll never read him because he left school before you.
I'm educated enough (unlike you and maybe Hazlitt) to realize that advanced education has positive externalities to society unlike a smashed window. And I've already considered the cost v. the benefits of the loan forgiveness program, so I'm not "missing the baker" as you say.

What you seem to be missing is that the measure is akin to a tax cut for the middle and working class. I would think with your innate hostility to government you would think this a "good thing" but apparently your resentment of these people because they are better educated than you and Hazlitt has fogged your thinking on this.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Nov 22

@earl-of-trumps said
that's not right, regardless what they say, as it is a net sum gain of zero as these monies are not created on the printing press.
If this tuition forgiveness did not happen, the lending institutions will still get theirs,
and the government would simply spend those monies elsewhere. Take from one sector give to another.

so simple, even a liberal can understand it.
You could make the same argument for any measure which reduces government revenue but I never hear right wingers use it when they push for tax cuts - the bulk of the benefit of Republican ones always accrues to the wealthy of course. At least this will primarily benefit the middle and working class.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Nov 22

@kilroy70 said
You didn't ask any questions. You set up a scenario where it appears both Guy A and Guy B both benefited from the governments actions.

If you take a ten dollar bill from my pocket then I'm out ten dollars. But now you're giving me back 2 dollars and calling it a benefit.
Oh happy days, lucky me!
"Describe how this would have different effects on A) Government revenue and B) Overall economic activity."

Both Guy A and Guy B are ahead $20,000 more than they expected to be due to governmental action. Why do you people think it has different effects?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Nov 22
1 edit

@metal-brain said
It is not fair and that is obvious. What about the students that paid their debt and are seeing people get relief they didn't. I didn't like the 1.9 trillion stimulus bill either. 90% of it went to wealthy people.

Do you have a problem with government providing free education for all Americans? Are you too far to the right for that?
No, that would be unfair to those who had to pay for their education according to the logic you just used in the first paragraph.

How you can write such blatantly self-contradictory nonsense is hard to fathom.

But anyway doing Thing A doesn't prevent one from doing Things B, C, D, etc.