1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 17:04
    @secondson said
    No single individual, no matter how wealthy in goods, talents and resources he may be, can feed millions and millions of starving people.I do what I can, and if every individual in the world did equally, I think there wouldn't be one person that starves to death.
    On a thread about music, the spiritual, the sensual, and Beethoven, how is this not anything other than virtue signalling of a peculiarly ostentatious and obtrusive kind?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 02:31
    SecondSon, I see [from your OP for "The Devil is Ambidextrous"] that your feathers are well and truly ruffled.

Come on now, you backed yourself into a weird corner on this thread with your contempt for Beethoven and your perculiar "self emulating" comments about your own contribution to "feeding the world".

It has been your own doing.

There really is no credible mileage in trying to blame a mythological supernatural being called "The Devil" for it.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 07:39
    @fmf said
    There really is no credible mileage in trying to blame a mythological supernatural being called "The Devil" for it.
    Galveston75 and Robbie Carrobie used to enjoy telling me I was a "son of Satan" when they felt I had been misbehaving; i.e. ruffled their feathers. I felt this direct approach was refreshing in it's frankness, albeit a little overplayed.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 11:53
    @divegeester said
    Galveston75 and Robbie Carrobie used to enjoy telling me I was a "son of Satan" when they felt I had been misbehaving; i.e. ruffled their feathers. I felt this direct approach was refreshing in it's frankness, albeit a little overplayed.
    'Wayward son of Satan' would have carried more punch.
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 14:55
    @fmf said
    SecondSon, I see [from your OP for "The Devil is Ambidextrous"] that your feathers are well and truly ruffled.

Come on now, you backed yourself into a weird corner on this thread with your contempt for Beethoven and your perculiar "self emulating" comments about your own contribution to "feeding the world".

It has been your own doing.

How pathetic! My "feathers" aren't "ruffled". I'm not in a "weird corner", and your inference that I have "contempt" for Beethoven is a construct of your imagination.

And you're probably just upset that you didn't coin the term "self-emulating" or think of it first.

Since you think you won't be accountable to what you think is a mythological being, your creator, you think you have carte blanche to say and make up anything you want, including fouling up this thread by insinuating I said things I didn't say or meant things I didn't mean.

You've either done it deliberately, or your cognitive ability to process words is severely damaged.

You made the shet up.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 15:02
    @secondson said
    How pathetic! My "feathers" aren't "ruffled". I'm not in a "weird corner", and your inference that I have "contempt" for Beethoven is a construct of your imagination.
    You described him as a man delirious with himself because he has a disproportionate sense of the importance of his own thoughts, ideas and the noise he makes. They are your words. Verbatim.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 15:04
    @secondson said
    Since you think you won't be accountable to what you think is a mythological being, your creator, you think you have carte blanche to say and make up anything you want, including fouling up this thread by insinuating I said things I didn't say or meant things I didn't mean.
    What you've said on this thread is still all there for people to see. I haven't made any of it up.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 15:19
    @secondson said
    How pathetic! My "feathers" aren't "ruffled".
    You may very well feel more composed now but your fur was very much rubbed up the wrong way yesterday. Hence your Galveston75-esque petulant and rather silly "Devil is Ambidextrous" lead-balloon of a thread.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 19:51
    @secondson said
    Too bad Lugwit's music wasn't food for the millions and millions of people that starved to death.
    Yes what a bastard he was.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 20:47
    @secondson said
    The longer I live the less impressed I am with the accomplishments of men and the lauding of the same.

Too bad Lugwit's music wasn't food for the millions and millions of people that starved to death.
    Are you sure about the second statement? If starvation in the world is something you feel passionately about you can put on a concert of Beethoven's music and donate the proceeds to feeding them, or better still ensuring non-interference in their means to sustain themselves.
  11. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    15 Jan '20 13:20
    @fmf said
    You described him as a man delirious with himself because he has a disproportionate sense of the importance of his own thoughts, ideas and the noise he makes. They are your words. Verbatim.
    I wasn't describing Beethoven. I was giving my opinion of the "adage" in your OP. And what you said above is not verbatim of what I said. It is only a part of what I said, and it's a mischaracterization of my intent, which was to answer the question you posed.

"What do you think of Ludwig van Beethoven's adage?"

My reply: "Supercilious. Like most of what I hear coming out of men's mouths. A lot of sound with little substance. A word mask that hides a man delirious with himself because he has a disproportionate sense of the importance of his own thoughts, ideas and the noise he makes."

I stand by it.

"Beethoven is widely considered one of the greatest, if not the single greatest, composer of all time. Beethoven's body of musical compositions stands with William Shakespeare's plays at the outer limits of human brilliance.

And the fact Beethoven composed his most beautiful and extraordinary music while deaf is an almost superhuman feat of creative genius, perhaps only paralleled in the history of artistic achievement by John Milton writing Paradise Lost while blind."

I have no beef with the man, just that pithy quote.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '20 13:35
    @secondson said
    I wasn't describing Beethoven. I was giving my opinion of the "adage" in your OP. And what you said above is not verbatim of what I said. It is only a part of what I said, and it's a mischaracterization of my intent, which was to answer the question you posed.
    You described his adage as "supercilious". And then you described him as "a man delirious with himself because he has a disproportionate sense of the importance of his own thoughts, ideas and the noise he makes".
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '20 13:39
    @secondson said
    "Beethoven is widely considered one of the greatest, if not the single greatest, composer of all time. Beethoven's body of musical compositions stands with William Shakespeare's plays at the outer limits of human brilliance.

And the fact Beethoven composed his most beautiful and extraordinary music while deaf is an almost superhuman feat of creative genius, perhaps only ...[text shortened]... paralleled in the history of artistic achievement by John Milton writing Paradise Lost while blind."
    And yet, when I asked you about his music on page 2 you said: "The longer I live the less impressed I am with the accomplishments of men and the lauding of the same." It's too late for you to be "lauding" him now on page 6.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '20 13:501 edit
    SecondSon, what you've said on this thread is still all there for people to see. Stop being so low-integrity. If you have changed your mind, just say so.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '20 17:43
    @fmf said
    "Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." Ludwig van Beethoven

Is it?

What else is?
    You really should not be using a guitar that way.

Sicko

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree