1. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 14:08
    @fmf said
    Run the numbers.

Don't you think Beethoven ~ and his music and people playing his music and concerts of his music staged by charities, royalties, donations, benefits, fund-raising pro-bono performances, musicians being employed, paying taxes etc. etc. ~ might have generated more money for the purposes of alleviating poverty than you have? Don't you think Ludwig Van Beet ...[text shortened]... otprint vis a vis the poor and starving might be a bigger one than yours, if one "runs the numbers"?
    Don't be deceived by the put on show by the rich and affluent. Everyone knows we'll never feed the world. But we could if...

It's none of your business how much I give to alleviate the need of the poor, but if everyone in the world that has to give gave the same percentage of their abundance as I there wouldn't be anyone starving to death.
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 14:13
    @fmf said
    When it comes to music, art and literature, would you describe yourself as a philistine?
    Would you describe yourself as hyperbolic poster?
  3. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 14:26
    @fmf said
    And yet at the top of this page, you seem to be suggesting that he should have been doing something when he was alive to help provide food for "the millions and millions of people" that starved to death.
    No. That's what you seem to think I'm saying. You're simply re-juxtapositioning the words, their meanings and intent to arrive at a convoluted meaning not consistent with the context in which they're found for the apparent purpose of furthering your agenda which is to derail coherent, meaningful and purposeful discourse, as well as stroking your sense of intellectual superiority.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 14:33
    @secondson said
    Would you describe yourself as hyperbolic poster?
    No. Not at all. I'd describe my posting as cogent and measured.
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 14:35
    @fmf said
    What is your answer to this question?
    I'd need to know first where the idea that there is a divide between the spiritual and the sensual life came from.

Don't you think?

Is it speculation? Or is there information that indicates there is a divide?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 14:38
    @secondson said
    .It's none of your business how much I give to alleviate the need of the poor, but if everyone in the world that has to give gave the same percentage of their abundance as I there wouldn't be anyone starving to death.
    I am not asking for details. But clearly you are not denying that you might believe your footprint vis a vis alleviating the predicament faced by the poor and starving might be a bigger one than Beethoven's, if one were to "run the numbers", which you asked me to do.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 14:39
    @secondson said
    I'd need to know first where the idea that there is a divide between the spiritual and the sensual life came from.

Don't you think?

Is it speculation? Or is there information that indicates there is a divide?
    I take it you are just not going to answer. Fair enough.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 14:42
    @secondson said
    No. That's what you seem to think I'm saying. You're simply re-juxtapositioning the words, their meanings and intent to arrive at a convoluted meaning not consistent with the context in which they're found for the apparent purpose of furthering your agenda which is to derail coherent, meaningful and purposeful discourse, as well as stroking your sense of intellectual superiority.
    With your comments about yourself, about Beethoven, and about the "millions starving", you appear to be engaging in some very, very odd virtue signalling.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 14:44
    @secondson said
    Don't be deceived by the put on show by the rich and affluent. Everyone knows we'll never feed the world. But we could if...
    When it comes to music, art and literature, would you describe yourself as a philistine?
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 14:46
    @fmf said
    No. Not at all. I'd describe my posting as cogent and measured.
    I'd agree with that, but you also go to unnecessary extremes in the sense that you drift from center and thereby lose the thread of thought relative to the topic of discussion without including a transitional connecting bridge of thought.

The discussion gets out of hand and it seems sometimes as though you're doing it deliberately.
  11. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 14:48
    @fmf said
    Geez! What does being a Philistine have to do with art, music and literature?
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 14:56
    @fmf said
    With your comments about yourself, about Beethoven, and about the "millions starving", you appear to be engaging in some very, very odd virtue signalling.
    This is what I mean by my post above. You go overboard by introducing into the narrative of any given discussion your psycho-babbling and hyperbolical insertions of language not inclusive with a coherent train of thought consistent with the content and context of the topic of discussion.

I think your problem is you think you know too much.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 14:59
    @secondson said
    I'd agree with that, but you also go to unnecessary extremes in the sense that you drift from center and thereby lose the thread of thought relative to the topic of discussion without including a transitional connecting bridge of thought..
    Just because you are talking to me, you shouldn't feel the need to produce word salad like this.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 15:00
    @secondson said
    This is what I mean by my post above. You go overboard by introducing into the narrative of any given discussion your psycho-babbling and hyperbolical insertions of language not inclusive with a coherent train of thought consistent with the content and context of the topic of discussion.
    A question about Beethoven's music has rapidly led to you talking about your own efforts to feed the starving. If that isn't virtue signalling, nothing is.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 15:02
    @secondson said
    Geez! What does being a Philistine have to do with art, music and literature?
    Do you not know what the word "philistine" means?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree