When should Christians pray for someone's death?

When should Christians pray for someone's death?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Dec 19

@moonbus said
A Christian should be praying for one thing only: the salvation of his soul. A Christian far advanced along the path to sainthood prays for the salvation of the soul of humanity.
I would differ, a Christian is someone who has given their life to Jesus Christ, we are saved in Him. It is the starting point, sanctification where our lives are transformed into Holy lives should be the focus of prayer from then on, repentance isn't a one time thing it is daily as we come to know God's ways over ours.

Moves
02 Dec 19

@moonbus said
A Christian should be praying for one thing only: the salvation of his soul. A Christian far advanced along the path to sainthood prays for the salvation of the soul of humanity.
This may sound ideologically pleasant, but it is not a stance which is supportable in scripture.

Moves
02 Dec 19

@kellyjay said
I would differ, a Christian is someone who has given their life to Jesus Christ,
I don't think this phraseology or spiritual/physical dynamics is supportable in scripture either.

Über-Nerd

Moves
02 Dec 19

@divegeester said
This may sound ideologically pleasant, but it is not a stance which is supportable in scripture.
Scripture is merely the tertiary means by which the Holy Spirit makes known to man the will of God.

Moves
02 Dec 19

@moonbus said
Scripture is merely the tertiary means by which the Holy Spirit makes known to man the will of God.
What are the primary and secondary means? And on basis do you number them?

And besides I maintain that what you claimed earlier may sound ideologically pleasant, but it is not a stance which is supportable in scripture, and whether scripture is tertiary or not.

Über-Nerd

Moves
02 Dec 19

@divegeester said
What are the primary and secondary means? And on basis do you number them?

And besides I maintain that what you claimed earlier may sound ideologically pleasant, but it is not a stance which is supportable in scripture, and whether scripture is tertiary or not.
Christianity is much more than what is contained or mentioned in Scripture. Scripture is the menu, not the meal. These are not merely my personal opinions about Christianity. This has been essential Christian doctrine for 2,000 years. You won't believe it if I tell you, so may I suggest you get yourself to a bishop (one who can trace his lineage back to one of the Twelve -- it's called "Apostolic Succession" ) and allow yourself to be instructed in the elementary tenets of Christianity.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
03 Dec 19

@moonbus said
Christianity is much more than what is contained or mentioned in Scripture. Scripture is the menu, not the meal. These are not merely my personal opinions about Christianity. This has been essential Christian doctrine for 2,000 years. You won't believe it if I tell you, so may I suggest you get yourself to a bishop (one who can trace his lineage back to one of the Twelve -- i ...[text shortened]... postolic Succession" ) and allow yourself to be instructed in the elementary tenets of Christianity.
"Apostolic succession" is not entirely biblical.

Moves
03 Dec 19
1 edit

Moves
03 Dec 19

@moonbus said
Christianity is much more than what is contained or mentioned in Scripture. Scripture is the menu, not the meal. These are not merely my personal opinions about Christianity. This has been essential Christian doctrine for 2,000 years. You won't believe it if I tell you, so may I suggest you get yourself to a bishop (one who can trace his lineage back to one of the Twelve -- i ...[text shortened]... postolic Succession" ) and allow yourself to be instructed in the elementary tenets of Christianity.
Your somewhat snooty and very convoluted dodge of my bang-on-target question to you is noted.

Moves
03 Dec 19

@divegeester said
Sonship have you and/or people from your church ever prayed for anyone to die early for any reason at all?
Bumped as did not get a response.

Yes or no sonship?

Über-Nerd

Moves
03 Dec 19

@sonship said
@FMF

sonship recently offered several times to pray [along with some of his prayer group friends] to expedite/speed up my death when I refused to speculate about whether my intelligence was the reason for me not believing the same things as he does.

Is this normal, Christian discourse?

No I offered to pray to expedite your going to that realm of death to find out if the bible is true or not.

That is what I offered. Go back and read it.
In other words, you wished (not prayed) that God would prove FMF wrong and you right.

God is not Santa Claus; granting wishes is not the programme.

Moves
04 Dec 19

@sonship said
@FMF
By the way. You really don't know HOW I mention you in prayer. And of course you'd be eager probably to inform me of your apathy about it.
Sonship have you and/or people from your church ever prayed for anyone to die early for any reason at all?

Über-Nerd

Moves
04 Dec 19

@divegeester said
Your somewhat snooty and very convoluted dodge of my bang-on-target question to you is noted.
Here's how it is with you and the rest of the Scripture freaks here: you're like someone who has bought a bed from IKEA, but instead of assembling the bed and sleeping in it, you obsess about the assembly diagram. Whenever anyone points out to you that beds are made for sleeping or asks you why you still sleep on the floor while the bed remains packed in the IKEA box, you demand to know where in the assembly diagram it says anything about sleeping.

I dodged the question because you wouldn't believe me if I answered it. You wouldn't believe me because a) you suppose that I, a non-Christian, couldn't possibly know what Christianity is about, and b) because I can't point out a passage in Scripture to support the answer. But it isn't my answer at all; it has been established Christian doctrine for 2,000 years that not everything Christian is in Scripture. You evidently missed that bit of the religion, like the IKEA bed still in the box.

Go to church, (not some wacko cult that stockpiles assault rifles and grooms 13-yr old girls for multiple sister-marriages, etc. etc.) -- they'll put your carriage back on the rails.

Moves
04 Dec 19

@moonbus said

I dodged the question because you wouldn't believe me if I answered it.
OK.

Über-Nerd

Moves
04 Dec 19
1 edit

@divegeester

Here is the order of priority:

1. The Holy Spirit is the primary channel through which God's will is made known to man. This takes precedence over all others, including Scripture.

2. The body of Christ in the world, meaning the Church, meaning the mainstream Church (as defined by Apostolic Succession, churches founded by the Apostles, not wacko sects and heretics), is the secondary channel through which God's will is made known to man, and specifically ecumenical councils.

The Ecumenical Council of Nicea determined (in the 4th c.) which scrolls were to be canonized; that is, an ecumenical council determined what is Scripture and therefore ecumenical councils are prior to Scripture, both in temporal order and in order of precedence/authority.

3. Scripture.

This is not my personal opinion. This has been established Christian doctrine since Jesus sent his Apostles to spread the word, since before the NT was written.

If you still doubt this, ask any bishop. I mean a bishop who can trace his lineage back to one of the Apostles, not some flakey, heretical, 'Kentucky Colonel', self-ordained, tv-evangelist Inc., wanna-be-bishop.