When should Christians pray for someone's death?

When should Christians pray for someone's death?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
01 Dec 19

@sonship said
That's interesting. You spoke of 60,000 some posts.
Most of them seemed to me prideful wriggling to me.
You should call it as you see it, as I do.

F

Moves
01 Dec 19

@sonship said
If there is no absolute moral standard then how can you condemn as bad "un-Christian" behavior?
You can perhaps just answer the question according to your own subjective moral standard.

F

Moves
01 Dec 19
1 edit

@sonship said
The condemning of bad "un-Christian" behavior would be no more than someone's personal taste.
How does offering to pray to speed up someone's death sit with your personal taste?

You may feel, on reflection, that it was a "bad idea", but do you personally feel it was "un-Christian" according to your own subjective perception of Christian standards?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Dec 19
1 edit

@FMF

You can perhaps just answer the question according to your own subjective moral standard.

And you could, perhaps, explain what is your ground to deem your personal judgment of bad un-Christian behavior is meaningful.

And I think the opposite is what you should have - a long elongated as possible life as an atheist.

In other words I think rather than less time, more time is what should be my prayer for you.

By the way. You really don't know HOW I mention you in prayer. And of course you'd be eager probably to inform me of your apathy about it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Dec 19

Now, is it that you really want me to say I am capable of un-Christian behavior ? Is that what you need?

In twelve years have I ever claimed I wasn't capable of un-Christian behavior? I don't think I ever claimed that. Correct me if I err.

But, to make you feel good - Jack Wilmore - me - is capable of un-Christian behavior. I have had a few right here on this Forum. I expect I will have some more.

Do you have what you want now? Still working on another question there?

F

Moves
01 Dec 19

@sonship said
And you could, perhaps, explain what is your ground to deem your personal judgment of bad un-Christian behavior is meaningful.
My personal judgement is shaped by my subjective moral compass, informed by my lifelong experience of Christianity and interaction with Christians.

If you deem my criticism of your behaviour not "meaningful" to you, so be it.

If you deem the criticism of your behaviour by your fellow Christians on the first two pages not "meaningful" to you, then that is your prerogative.

F

Moves
01 Dec 19

@sonship said
And I think the opposite is what you should have - a long elongated as possible life as an atheist.

In other words I think rather than less time, more time is what should be my prayer for you.
Then why did you offer to pray to expedite my death? What drove you to make that offer - three times - in public?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Dec 19

Oh, FMF, just in case you are interesting, a man who sometimes has "un-Christian behavior" ALSO can have the Spirit flowing though and out of his innermost being as rivers of living water.

But you're permitted a few "Gotcha!" moments.

F

Moves
01 Dec 19

@sonship said
Now, is it that you really want me to say I am capable of un-Christian behavior ? Is that what you need?

In twelve years have I ever claimed I wasn't capable of un-Christian behavior? I don't think I ever claimed that. Correct me if I err.

But, to make you feel good - Jack Wilmore - me - is capable of un-Christian behavior. I have had a few right here on this Forum. ...[text shortened]... I will have some more.

Do you have what you want now? Still working on another question there?
If you have actually said, unequivocally, that your behaviour was "un-Christian", I have missed it. According to your belief system as it pertains to right and wrong, do you believe it was "Satan" who gave you the "bad idea"?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Dec 19

@FMF

Then why did you offer to pray to expedite my death? What drove you to make that offer - three times - in public?

And I said "Nevermind FMF".

You're saying that should have been accompanied with a formal apology?

I think a few days ago I gave apologies to a few posters here, including you, for saying things I wish I had not.

It sounds like my "Nevermind FMF" is working the opposite for you. You wish to cling to the offense and get as much mileage out of it as you can.

Your prerogative.

F

Moves
01 Dec 19

@sonship said
Oh, FMF, just in case you are interesting, a man who sometimes has "un-Christian behavior" ALSO can have the Spirit flowing though and out of his innermost being as rivers of living water.
What evidence do you have that you have "the Spirit flowing through and out of [your] innermost being as rivers of living water"? Is it just the stuff you type and copy-paste? Is that the evidence that substantiates your claim?

F

Moves
01 Dec 19
1 edit

@sonship said

You're saying that should have been accompanied with a formal apology?

I think a few days ago I gave apologies to a few posters here, including you, for saying things I wish I had not.

It sounds like my "Nevermind FMF" is working the opposite for you. You wish to cling to the offense and get as much mileage out of it as you can.

Your prerogative.
Have you actually come out and said that your behaviour was "un-Christian" or are you sticking with the fact you said "Nevermind" and that it was a "bad idea" because it gave rise to this thread?

F

Moves
01 Dec 19
1 edit

@sonship said
Did you mean for that apology to apply - pre-emptively - to all future things and not just the things you'd said up to that point?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
01 Dec 19
1 edit

@sonship said
@FMF

Sonship have you and/or people from your church ever prayed for anyone to die early for any reason at all?

Über-Nerd

Moves
01 Dec 19

@fmf said
Eladar, several times, talked about praying for U.S. Senator John McCain's death a year or two prior to McCain's passing in August last year. It seemed harsh to me, but could it be justified in terms of Christian faith-in-action?
A Christian should be praying for one thing only: the salvation of his soul. A Christian far advanced along the path to sainthood prays for the salvation of the soul of humanity.