1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 07:47
    @suzianne said
    Sounds familiar, doesn't it?
    Not at all, because unlike you I don’t duck out of direct debate about what I do or don’t believe.

So no, not familiar at all.
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 12:07
    @divegeester said
    Why are people thumbing down these posts?
    Because FMF's inferences are presumptuous, misleading and smack of intellectual quackery.

I didn't thumb down. I gagged while reading the OP.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 14:19
    @divegeester said
    Not at all, because unlike you I don’t duck out of direct debate about what I do or don’t believe.

So no, not familiar at all.
    I see no debate about it. What I do see is you claiming I don't want to answer when I've talked about this many many times. If you couldn't be arsed to listen the first five or six times, what will you not listening a seventh time accomplish?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '20 15:18
    @suzianne said
    If you don't believe in the efficacy of prayer, why else would you care about anyone's prayers?
    Why? Because I am interested in the views of people who DO believe in the efficacy of prayers specifically in the context of the moral issues surrounding Christians owning slaves.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '20 15:26
    @suzianne said
    The OP is just a fishing expedition for quotes you can hang over people's heads for the next six months. Your target? Christians, of course.
    Well then, if you are a Christian who might say something about Christians owning slaves ~ and about the possible efficacy of their prayers ~ that's difficult to defend morally speaking, then watch out. Go defensive. Dont give any "quotes". Deflect. Lash out at the motives of the person who's asking the awkward question. Oh, wait. This is exactly what you have done.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '20 15:29
    @suzianne said
    I see no debate about it. What I do see is you claiming I don't want to answer when I've talked about this many many times. If you couldn't be arsed to listen the first five or six times, what will you not listening a seventh time accomplish?
    I see, so what you are now claiming is you have had 5 or 6 full on debates in this forum and I have missed them all.

I see.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '20 15:30
    @secondson said
    Because FMF's inferences are presumptuous, misleading and smack of intellectual quackery.
    The only 'presumption' in the OP is that Christian slave owners did pray to give thanks to their God and to ask for His support and blessing. There's nothing "misleading" about it. But if the question has you stumped, so be it.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '20 15:431 edit
    @secondson said
    I gagged while reading the OP.
    What is it about Christian slave owners praying to their God, or speculating about the content and efficacy of their prayers, that made you "gag"?
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Jul '20 21:451 edit
    @fmf said
    There's been a fair bit of discussion here over the years ~ indeed there have been plenty of confident assertions ~ about the Christian God answering the prayers of Christians including specific claims that such prayers were heard and answered and conjecture about the efficacy of other's prayers regarding their gratitude and their needs.

[b]What do you believe or imagine was t ...[text shortened]... ked that their slaves would work harder and give birth to lots of children who would also be slaves?
    According to the bible God hears and responds to, the prayers of the righteous and those who keep the commandments of Christ. God ignores the prayers of the wicked and sinful. The act of owning slaves is not a sin in the bible. What is a sin is ill-treating slaves.
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    30 Jul '20 22:09
    @rajk999 said
    According to the bible God hears and responds to, the prayers of the righteous and those who keep the commandments of Christ. God ignores the prayers of the wicked and sinful. The act of owning slaves is not a sin in the bible. What is a sin is ill-treating slaves.
    'The act of owning slaves is not a sin in the bible.'

Maybe the bible got that one wrong, then.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Jul '20 22:16
    @indonesia-phil said
    'The act of owning slaves is not a sin in the bible.'

Maybe the bible got that one wrong, then.
    I doubt it.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '20 22:30
    @rajk999 said
    Thanks for your straightforward answer.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '20 23:45
    @suzianne said
    I see no debate about it.
    So has Rajk999 settled the debate with his take on it, to your way of thinking?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 06:38
    @fmf said
    So has Rajk999 settled the debate with his take on it, to your way of thinking?
    Do not take my words out of context. To do so cheapens them (no doubt your aim) and thereby, you.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 06:48
    @suzianne said
    Do not take my words out of context. To do so cheapens them (no doubt your aim) and thereby, you.
    Do you think Rajk999's take on it is correct?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree