1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 03:00
    There's been a fair bit of discussion here over the years ~ indeed there have been plenty of confident assertions ~ about the Christian God answering the prayers of Christians including specific claims that such prayers were heard and answered and conjecture about the efficacy of other's prayers regarding their gratitude and their needs.

What do you believe or imagine was the Christian God's answer to the prayers of slave owners - in the U.S. for example - in the C17th and C18th - in which they expressed gratitude for their prosperity, where they asked for protection of their property, and perhaps asked that their slaves would work harder and give birth to lots of children who would also be slaves?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 03:43
    @fmf said
    There's been a fair bit of discussion here over the years ~ indeed there have been plenty of confident assertions ~ about the Christian God answering the prayers of Christians including specific claims that such prayers were heard and answered and conjecture about the efficacy of other's prayers regarding their gratitude and their needs.

[b]What do you believe or imagine was t ...[text shortened]... ked that their slaves would work harder and give birth to lots of children who would also be slaves?
    Or indeed the prayers of the slaves themselves ...
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 03:56
    @wolfgang59 said
    Or indeed the prayers of the slaves themselves ...
    It'd be harder to argue that the prayers of the slaves were heard and answered unless they were praying for the American Civil War in the C19th.

The question is about the Christian slave owners' prayers because many of them earned their prosperity partly because of the slaves they owned and those slaves did have children who became slaves too.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 04:23
    @fmf said
    It'd be harder to argue that the prayers of the slaves were heard and answered unless they were praying for the American Civil War in the C19th.
    The slaves, of course, in theory, might have been asking, through their prayers, that they remain in slavery and that their children would also be the chattel property of those who owned them.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 06:08
    Why are people thumbing down these posts?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 06:27
    @divegeester said
    Why are people thumbing down these posts?
    Do you have an opinion about the OP you'd like to share?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 06:29
    @suzianne said
    Do you?

divegeester's question is interesting.

What are your thoughts on the OP.?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 06:39
    @suzianne said
    [Chomp]

Got one of them...
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 06:401 edit
    @suzianne said
    I’m mulling it over as I often do, I’ll get back to the thread with my thoughts sometime today, thank you for your interest in my opinion on this.
  10. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 08:04
    @fmf said
    Do you?

Hahahahahahahaha ...
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 08:11
    Philokalia, I have 6 Thumbs Down for this OP. Things are really, really going pear-shaped, it would seem. One of them may or may not be from Kegge. What does this all mean?
  12. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 12:40
    @fmf said

What do you believe or imagine was the Christian God's answer to the prayers of slave owners - in the U.S. for example - in the C17th and C18th - in which they expressed gratitude for their prosperity, where they asked for protection of their property, and perhaps asked that their slaves would work harder and give birth to lots of children who would also be slaves?
    my observation is going to be a tangential reply -
    i personally imagine that the Omniscience that i call God, or Allah, or any of another thousand names,
    answers all prayer with a figurative pat on the head of the asking human

it is my opinion the we humans must answer our own questions
    to the best of our ability, knowledge, wisdom, common sense
    and then God, or Allah, or the Entity behind the all the names humans give to the Entity, judges us upon our own answers to our own questions

in general, i think that folks 'way back when' that owned people as property did not care what the property thought of being owned

and if that were generally true,
    and what i think about God answering prayer by requiring humans to answer their own prayers is true
    then God will look harshly upon the ones who own other people as property

dammit i hope my early morning ramblings make a smidgeon of sense
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 17:041 edit
    @fmf said
    Do you?

Since you asked...
    I think it's more-of-the-same Christian trolling you engage in here on a regular basis.

If you don't believe in the efficacy of prayer, why else would you care about anyone's prayers? The OP is just a fishing expedition for quotes you can hang over people's heads for the next six months. Your target? Christians, of course.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '20 17:12
    @suzianne said
    Since you asked...
    I think it's more-of-the-same Christian trolling you engage in here on a regular basis.

If you don't believe in the efficacy of prayer, why else would you care about anyone's prayers? The OP is just a fishing expedition for quotes you can hang over people's heads for the next six months. Your target? Christians, of course.
    But earlier on this page you were asking me to respond to the OP while all the time you weren’t intending to yourself...
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 06:23
    @divegeester said
    But earlier on this page you were asking me to respond to the OP while all the time you weren’t intending to yourself...
    Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree