Motivation of Atheists and Christ Deniers?

Motivation of Atheists and Christ Deniers?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Mar 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
You religious chaps are holding us back as a species. It's time to put away childish things.
How can anything hold you back if there is nothing to shot for? Don’t you simply do what you want?

F

Moves
20 Mar 23

@kellyjay said
How can anything hold you back if there is nothing to shot for? Don’t you simply do what you want?
But your religious views don't "hold you back", do they?

In 2022, you described yourself, more than once, as being just "as evil as a rapist".

Now I have no reason to think that you are.

But morally speaking, I think your assertion [about yourself and, by extension, everybody] is ludicrous - and I would say "childish" too if I thought children could understand what "rape" and "rapist" actually meant.

Why should everyone subscribe to your ludicrous thoughts on morality? Run that past me again.

F

Moves
20 Mar 23

@kellyjay said
Don’t you simply do what you want?
People are governed by their consciences. Their consciences are shaped by their human environments. Their human environments encompass formative influences like families, societal norms and values, laws, religion, and a myriad of other factors.

Our moral compasses restrict us and restrain us. When they don't, we may rightly be seen as criminals, maladjusted and sociopaths - or, at the very least, jerks.

Now, you can attribute people's "nature" and their consciences to your God figure if you choose.

You can attribute the rules that have evolved among human societies - so that we can survive and prosper as social creatures - to divine revelation if you choose.

But don't expect everyone around you to make the same attributions.

P

Moves
20 Mar 23

@divegeester said
They don’t believe it to be reality.
I don’t believe rainbow-colored hippopotamus to be reality. That doesn’t mean I would spend inordinate amounts of time arguing with someone who did.

P

Moves
20 Mar 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I answered your OP. Religion is holding us back as a species. If you were spouting belief in the Earth being flat I would challenge that as well.
How is the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ holding human beings back?

P

Moves
20 Mar 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
If it were truly good news it would effortlessly withstand scrutiny.
It does, for those who understand the Bible. And not on a carnal level (because it can’t be understood on a carnal level) but on a spiritual level.

P

Moves
20 Mar 23
1 edit

@medullah said
How about these three.

The pure hyprocisy that they might perceive - We have a 6th commandment "though shalt not kill" and Christians line up at war time to do just that?

There is the prohibition again idolatory, and every Sunday many of "the faithful" can be seen going into a building where they either themsleves bow or watch others bow before idols.

And if you are ...[text shortened]... , are politics compatible with a Christian fait in practice?

or am I being unfair, and if so why?
I don’t think you’re being unfair. Those are good points. To your first two points, I’d say Christians aren’t under the Law. To your third point, I’d say I don’t think so, other than voting and *maybe* donating money to candidates whom they support.

P

Moves
20 Mar 23

@fmf said
People cannot simply decide to believe claims about supernatural things that they do not find credible or are not convinced by.
No one’s asking atheists to believe them. But why do atheists spend so much time arguing against them?

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
20 Mar 23

True athiests and Christ deniers do not argue. By the very nature of the subject; that God and Christ do not exist, it’s pointless to argue.

We are absolutely unmotivated to argue what does not exist.

P

Moves
20 Mar 23

@fmf said
Topics like morality and the nature of faith, the part that belief systems play in the human condition, the effects psychology and anthropology have on human nature, and other spirituality-related issues are interesting to debate and discuss. That's why.
How many debates and discussions on Christianity reflect what you’ve written?

P

Moves
20 Mar 23

@hakima said
True athiests and Christ deniers do not argue. By the very nature of the subject; that God and Christ do not exist, it’s pointless to argue.

We are absolutely unmotivated to argue what does not exist.
Thank you.

That makes complete sense to me.

Which is why I find it interesting that so many atheists and Christ deniers feel compelled to argue against the existence of God and that Jesus Christ is the Messiah.

If someone on here posted that the moon was made of green cheese, I wouldn’t waste my time arguing with him because I think such a proposition is so obviously false as to be ridiculous.

F

Moves
20 Mar 23

@plantermoo said
I don’t believe rainbow-colored hippopotamus to be reality. That doesn’t mean I would spend inordinate amounts of time arguing with someone who did.
Things like morality, the nature of faith, and the human condition are interesting to debate and discuss. "Rainbow-colored hippopotamuses" are not.

F

Moves
20 Mar 23

@plantermoo said
How many debates and discussions on Christianity reflect what you’ve written?
Pretty much all of them.

F

Moves
20 Mar 23
1 edit

@plantermoo said
No one’s asking atheists to believe them. But why do atheists spend so much time arguing against them?
The related issues are interesting to discuss. And this forum, which is not a Christian Forum, is a good place to debate and discuss them.

Moves
21 Mar 23

@plantermoo said
No one else in the world believes rainbow coloured hippos either, but billions of people do believe in a god of some sort and their associated beliefs impact those around them, often in negative ways.

But I see what you tried yo do there.