1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 10:50
    @avalanchethecat said
    I did yes.
    The herd isn't a good signpost; it will go after anyone who stands out from them. This doesn't mean that they are standing out is for good or bad reasons, but keeping in line is a real thing; it also isn't necessarily a good thing either as the old saying goes, if everyone is walking off the cliff are you going to join them? Looking at the crowd for acceptance isn't even weighing what is good or bad by any standard; it is more of self-preservation than anything else. What is true or false is not always found within us; most of the truths we look for in the world are what is going on, not by opinion but by reality. We can assert what we think, what is good and bad if it is by the crowd we are hanging around with, well bad company can corrupt good morals, but that assumes there are good morals, and corruption is ruining something by some standard.
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 10:59
    @kellyjay said
    The herd isn't a good signpost; it will go after anyone who stands out from them. This doesn't mean that they are standing out is for good or bad reasons, but keeping in line is a real thing; it also isn't necessarily a good thing either as the old saying goes, if everyone is walking off the cliff are you going to join them? Looking at the crowd for acceptance isn't even wei ...[text shortened]... orals, but that assumes there are good morals, and corruption is ruining something by some standard.
    As I said, individuals within a society - the sane ones anyway - develop a conscience, learn a moral code which while maybe not compelling certainly urges them to avoid actions which cause suffering to others. A society composed largely of these individuals develops a consensus moral and ethical outlook. It's not a perfect system, but it is the system we all live by.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 11:06
    @avalanchethecat said
    As I said, individuals within a society - the sane ones anyway - develop a conscience, learn a moral code which while maybe not compelling certainly urges them to avoid actions which cause suffering to others. A society composed largely of these individuals develops a consensus moral and ethical outlook. It's not a perfect system, but it is the system we all live by.
    Not debating the system we live by, I'm sure it's a little more peaceful in your cities, not so much here. Culture is turning away from holding some responsibility for their actions today while condemning others for actions that took place hundreds of years before they were born. What is good and bad, our morals, cannot be judged by what society is doing at the moment, that is just following the herd. You cannot tell if something is heavier than something else without a means to measure that treats each one equally. If not then you may as well try to settle a discussion with people arguing which is better blue or 9, because blue is my favorite color, against 9 is larger than 2.
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 11:302 edits
    @kellyjay said
    Not debating the system we live by, I'm sure it's a little more peaceful in your cities, not so much here. Culture is turning away from holding some responsibility for their actions today while condemning others for actions that took place hundreds of years before they were born. What is good and bad, our morals, cannot be judged by what society is doing at the moment, that ...[text shortened]... le arguing which is better blue or 9, because blue is my favorite color, against 9 is larger than 2.
    I must be failing to make myself clear.

Individuals develop and learn morals and ethics as they mature. They are consquent to an individual's conscience. When a [sane] person commits an act which they later realise caused suffering to others, they experience discomfort and regret, and consequently amend their future behaviour to avoid doing so.

A society composed of individuals forms a moral and ethical consensus, which enables the projection of those values on non-comformist members. Unfortunately, it is true that the development of personal morality and ethics can be perverted by various means.

There are significant problems in our society today which I believe stem from conscious and deliberate manipulation of our moral and ethical fabric mainly via the medium of advertising in order (largely) to maximise profits by corporate entities. I think the fact that the techniques utilised by these organisations have proved so effective tends to argue against the existence of the absolute morality in which you prefer to believe.

Are you familiar with Adam Curtis's work? I'd recommend that everybody should at least watch his documentary "The Century of Self".
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 16:59
    @avalanchethecat said
    I must be failing to make myself clear.

Individuals develop and learn morals and ethics as they mature. They are consquent to an individual's conscience. When a [sane] person commits an act which they later realise caused suffering to others, they experience discomfort and regret, and consequently amend their future behaviour to avoid doing so.

A ...[text shortened]... is's work? I'd recommend that everybody should at least watch his documentary "The Century of Self".
    I believe we can agree to disagree here; nothing wrong with that. I can wait until you see I'm right, your wrong on this point. 🙂 I want to thank you for your thoughtful posts.
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 17:16
    @kellyjay said
    I believe we can agree to disagree here; nothing wrong with that. I can wait until you see I'm right, your wrong on this point. 🙂 I want to thank you for your thoughtful posts.
    I think we must for the time being at least agree to disagree. It has been very pleasant exchanging views on these matters without the snipery and rancour that is customary on this board.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Jan '22 18:462 edits
    A worthwhile video imo dealing with the question -

Is there written in the Bible scientifically wrong information ?

The Ancient Cosmos: Cultural Context of the Biblical World
    ( I agree with a lot of it)

YouTube&ab_channel=InspiringPhilosophy
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Jan '22 23:14
    @avalanchethecat said
    I think we must for the time being at least agree to disagree. It has been very pleasant exchanging views on these matters without the snipery and rancour that is customary on this board.
    <<It has been very pleasant exchanging views on these matters without the snipery and rancour that is customary on this board.>>

And which you sadly create when you tell one of your whoppers and get called out on it…

Or when you make a bold assertion, get asked for evidence and start flipping and flopping like a fish on a dock.

Ain’t that right, skipper?
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 07:05
    @pb1022 said
    <<It has been very pleasant exchanging views on these matters without the snipery and rancour that is customary on this board.>>

And which you sadly create when you tell one of your whoppers and get called out on it…

Or when you make a bold assertion, get asked for evidence and start flipping and flopping like a fish on a dock.

Ain’t that right, skipper?
    Lol, not getting enough attention in the other threads? How's your mother? Maybe you should give her a call.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 07:07

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 07:18
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I see you, Dr PB1009. Go reconnect with your family.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 08:42
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    What makes him "sick and demonic" to your way of thinking?
  13. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 08:50
    @fmf said
    What makes him "sick and demonic" to your way of thinking?
    Just don’t respond to PB1022.
    He appears to be a sad and embittered individual, desperately trying to uphold his faith but with limited intellectual acumen. His only response to attempts at discussion are childish playground personal ‘ad hominem’ attacks.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 08:57
    @pianoman1 said
    Just don’t respond to PB1022.
    He appears to be a sad and embittered individual, desperately trying to uphold his faith but with limited intellectual acumen. His only response to attempts at discussion are childish playground personal ‘ad hominem’ attacks.
    Wise advice. He'll probably implode and cop a permanent forum ban at some point just like he did in 2018.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree