Is Atheism Dead ?

Is Atheism Dead ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Dec 21

@divegeester said
The shut up speaking to me, you’re obsessed with gaining my attention.
I'm only replying to your posts to me.

And anyone else if I so choose.

Sorry to see you so upset.

Moves
31 Dec 21
1 edit

@josephw said
Sorry to see you so upset.
Thanks, your sincerity and love of Jesus flows through your “spiritual muscles” like an energy.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
31 Dec 21

@kellyjay said
If I decide what I value want or believe is best, I can therefore justify any action or inaction, I alone am the sole measure of all things. If it is always an internal question with out regard to anything other than me, it will never be anything else.

All things that can be justified given motivation, desire, taste, and anything else the drives me. If we all do this tha ...[text shortened]... a different person, since we all choose there is no standard that all are held to without absolutes.
This might make sense to a sociopath, but otherwise it really doesn't. As I've been saying, one develops morals and ethics through learning and experience. One doesn't just decide what things are good and what are bad. One judges the consequences of one's actions; invariably, sane people will find that actions which cause suffering to others are unsatisfactory.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Dec 21
1 edit

@avalanchethecat said
This might make sense to a sociopath, but otherwise it really doesn't. As I've been saying, one develops morals and ethics through learning and experience. One doesn't just decide what things are good and what are bad. One judges the consequences of one's actions; invariably, sane people will find that actions which cause suffering to others are unsatisfactory.
I believe we would more than likely agree on what we would call good and bad, that which we would approve of and reject. That said we are talking about everyone, all ideas of right and wrongs.

We either have some standard that applies across the board or we don’t. If we don’t then only personal tastes can be used to look at someone else’s morality.

You may feel yours is highly developed another may feel ours are simply a means to repress him from following hid heart desires caring nothing for how he harms someone less than.

What do we say to such a one, think like us, we are better than you?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Dec 21

@avalanchethecat said
And how would someone who is flying down a dark road know it,if it’s all they know?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
31 Dec 21

@kellyjay said
I believe we would more than likely agree on what we would call good and bad, that which we would approve of and reject. That said we are talking about everyone, all ideas of right and wrongs.

We either have some standard that applies across the board or we don’t. If we don’t then only personal tastes can be used to look at someone else’s morality.

You may feel yours i ...[text shortened]... he harms someone less than.

What do we say to such a one, think like us, we are better than you?
I disagree. It's not 'personal tastes'. You are still banging that same drum as though it is possible to choose what one sees as morally right. There are of course social mores among other groups which I would consider morally wrong but which within those contexts are considered morally right. These are not 'personal tastes' though, they are learned morals.

"You may feel yours is highly developed another may feel ours are simply a means to repress him from following hid heart desires caring nothing for how he harms someone less than."

If this hypothetical person wishes to commit acts which cause suffering to others simply to satisfy their own personal desires then I would say their moral standards are inadequate. They may disagree, but if they are a member of a social group, I suspect their disagreement may not avail them much. I think what we say to such a one is what we actually say to such a one; "that's against the law, don't do it or we'll (chop off your hands/ deprive you of your liberty/ some other sanction appropriate to our social mores)."

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Dec 21
1 edit

@avalanchethecat said
I disagree. It's not 'personal tastes'. You are still banging that same drum as though it is possible to choose what one sees as morally right. There are of course social mores among other groups which I would consider morally wrong but which within those contexts are considered morally right. These are not 'personal tastes' though, they are learned morals.
...[text shortened]... off your hands/ deprive you of your liberty/ some other sanction appropriate to our social mores)."
That’s your opinion one I would agree but outside of our taste and those of likeminded there could also be many who agree satisfying their baser desires are more important than consequences to others. If there are no common standards to both sets what makes one the better choice by what means do we measure them, they are apples and oranges.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
31 Dec 21

@kellyjay said
That’s your opinion one I would agree but outside of our taste and those of likeminded there could also be many who agree satisfying their baser desires are more important than consequences to others. If there are no common standards to both sets what makes one the better choice by what means do we measure them, they are apples and oranges.
Human beings are social animals. A moral code such as you paint here is obviously antithetical to living within a society. The society within which a person lives agrees the common standard.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
01 Jan 22

@avalanchethecat said
Human beings are social animals. A moral code such as you paint here is obviously antithetical to living within a society. The society within which a person lives agrees the common standard.
You saw the zebra video correct?

Moves
01 Jan 22

@divegeester said
Thanks, your sincerity and love of Jesus flows through your “spiritual muscles” like an energy.
Yours makes my chest and back hair stand on end and crackle with sublime love lightning.

J/K -- but who is this @josephw character, anyway?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
01 Jan 22

@kevin-eleven said
Yours makes my chest and back hair stand on end and crackle with sublime love lightning.

J/K -- but who is this @josephw character, anyway?
Josephw is a born again and Spirit filled believer.

Contrary to what you may encounter in this forum based on what some posters may say.

I'm beginning to get the impression that you are too.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
01 Jan 22

@divegeester said
You have no idea, but I want you to.

Moves
01 Jan 22

@josephw said
You have no idea, but I want you to.
Are you a zombie?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
01 Jan 22

@kevin-eleven said
Are you a zombie?