Has religion served its purpose?

Has religion served its purpose?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
11 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
Disagreeing with you doesn’t mean I the one mistaken.
No it doesn’t, it that is yet another non sequitur … isn’t it.

Here is what you said, and my reply.

@kellyjay said
I don't deny words of scripture as you.

divegeester replied
You just avoid replying to posts which contain one’s which show your prior assertions to be mistaken.

Which is what you did, several times when I quoted Matthew to you demonstrating that your claim that people’s sins are eternal.
You were demonstrably shown to be mistaken so you deliberately ignored the scripture hence you are shown to be someone who in fact does, on occasion, deny the words of scripture.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
11 Jan 22

@suzianne said
Have you heard that God loves all of us and is desirous that none fall astray and become lost?

Why would such a God be willing to torture those same for all of eternity? Is there a purpose for this? I argue that there is not, and he is not.

Perhaps your certitude that these will be your neighbors and not you causes you to have this blasé attitude about it, but the Go ...[text shortened]... cerned that my view is a minority view. But you are wrong in assuming it has no scriptural support.
Blasé?

You're projecting.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

I won't be so presumptuous as to think I can comprehend that kind of love. There is only one that can love like that, and that is God.

You presume to think I am blasé about the fate of others because I think I have fire insurance. Don't be so shallow.

The argument is over the interpretation of "perish" and "eternal life".

Obviously no one is going to argue about what eternal life means, are they?

I would like to believe as you do that the "second death" means annihilation because the idea of eternal punishment is as unimaginable as death.

There's no file for it in our being. We weren't created to experience death.

But death reigns nonetheless.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Jan 22

@josephw said
I would like to believe as you do that the "second death" means annihilation because the idea of eternal punishment is as unimaginable as death.

There's no file for it in our being. We weren't created to experience death.

But death reigns nonetheless.
Isn't the idea of eternal punishment also unimaginable when applied to the actions of a loving God? Have you thought about that? I mean, really thought about it?

Believe in me or be eternally punished. Is that really the God you worship?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
11 Jan 22

@divegeester said
No it doesn’t, it that is yet another non sequitur … isn’t it.

@kellyjay said
I don't deny words of scripture as you.

divegeester replied
You just avoid replying to posts which contain one’s which show your prior assertions to be mistaken.

Which is what you did, several times when I quoted Matthew to you demonstrating ...[text shortened]... ipture hence you are shown to be someone who in fact does, on occasion, deny the words of scripture.
Show me they are temporary that they vanish on their own? We are held accountable for them or through Christ taking care of them He resolved them for us. That was done by the Son of God’s redemptive work, they don’t just disappear due to the passage of time. You have not thought about that much, you only see it as an opportunity to find fault with another, again.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
11 Jan 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Isn't the idea of eternal punishment also unimaginable when applied to the actions of a loving God? Have you thought about that? I mean, really thought about it?

Believe in me or be eternally punished. Is that really the God you worship?
No.
Yes.
Yes.

You've mischaracterized. It's "believe in me and live forever."

Presuming to accuse God of being unjust is folly and the consequence of erroneous thinking.

By your own logic can that which is perfect be flawed?

Is God flawed because He so loved the world that He gave His Son to die in our place so that we who believe will have eternal life?

And is God flawed because He metes out justice to those that reject the author of life?

Get your head screwed on straight.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Jan 22

@josephw said
No.
Yes.
Yes.

You've mischaracterized. It's "believe in me and live forever."

Presuming to accuse God of being unjust is folly and the consequence of erroneous thinking.

By your own logic can that which is perfect be flawed?

Is God flawed because He so loved the world that He gave His Son to die in our place so that we who believe will have eternal life?

And ...[text shortened]... He metes out justice to those that reject the author of life?

Get your head screwed on straight.
I find it unfathomable that anybody (with their head screwed on correctly) can see no disconnect between a loving and omniscient God and one who would meat out eternal punishment.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
11 Jan 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I find it unfathomable that anybody (with their head screwed on correctly) can see no disconnect between a loving and omniscient God and one who would meat out eternal punishment.
Its what the church does to the mindless masses. Jesus said that God can destroy souls. Yet churches preach that souls are immortal and hence there is no such thing as complete annihilation and anyone who does not believe is tormented.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
11 Jan 22

@rajk999 said
Its what the church does to the mindless masses. Jesus said that God can destroy souls. Yet churches preach that souls are immortal and hence there is no such thing as complete annihilation and anyone who does not believe is tormented.
You should read the whole Bible.

Grass Farmer

Moves
11 Jan 22

religion has a place as much as santa. at some point you grow out of it.

Moves
11 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
Show me they are temporary
Temporary is not the opposite of eternal.

I never said sins were temporary.

Moves
11 Jan 22

@divegeester said

That's fine. You're just one guy in a vasty Cosmos.

Moves
11 Jan 22

@divegeester said

If you have difficulties escaping from the paper bag of your own self-involvement, please just say so.

Moves
11 Jan 22

@divegeester

Look, it's not as if we are going to strap you down and inject you with Haldol to help you see things "the right way".

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Jan 22

@divegeester said

Well, eternal is forever, temporary is not, one means one thing, while the other means something else. You don't seem to understand what all-inclusive means. Now you are struggling with the difference between eternal and temporary. If sins are not eternal, they are not, which means temporary because they will not last forever or eternally. Are you purposely being dull, or don't know or grasp things said to you so that you have to have every word explained to you in precise detail, so you understand?

Moves
12 Jan 22
1 edit

@kellyjay said
Well, eternal is forever, temporary is not, one means one thing, while the other means something else. You don't seem to understand what all-inclusive means. Now you are struggling with the difference between eternal and temporary. If sins are not eternal, they are not, which means temporary because they will not last forever or eternally. Are you purposely being dull, or do ...[text shortened]... id to you so that you have to have every word explained to you in precise detail, so you understand?
God forgives sins and tells us that he has put our sins as far away from him and us as the east is from the west.

We are also told in Matthew (the scripture which you are doggedly trying to ignore since I first posted it) the there is only ONE sin which will not be forgiven in eternity and that is to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit.

It is disappointing to see your pridefulness preventing you from acknowledging that you are mistaken in claiming that all of people’s sins are “eternal”.