1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 13:50
    @pb1022 said
    I wouldn’t answer personal questions on here (nor advise anyone else to) since personal info only ends up being used for trolling purposes.
    The questions you were responding to were rhetorical.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 13:50
    @fmf said
    You, you, you, you.
    No, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.

If He’s not at the center of a Christian’s life, He should be. He is not only their Saviour, but their Lord as well.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 13:51
    @fmf said
    How does your "two-way street ... relationship" with Jesus affect your demeanour and behaviour here?
    I don’t answer personal questions on here because personal info only ends up being used for trolling purposes.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 13:53
    @pb1022 said
    No, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.

If He’s not at the center of a Christian’s life, He should be. He is not only their Saviour, but their Lord as well.
    The centre of your life, your saviour, your Lord...

Your everlasting life, your salvation, indwelling "Holy Spirit" in you, your supernatural transformation...

You, you, you, you.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 13:54
    @pb1022 said
    I don’t answer personal questions on here because personal info only ends up being used for trolling purposes.
    I am not asking "personal questions". I am asking you about claims you have made in public here and your demeanour and behaviour here in public.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 13:55
    @fmf said
    The centre of your life, your saviour, your Lord...

Your everlasting life, your salvation, indwelling "Holy Spirit" in you, your supernatural transformation...

You, you, you, you.
    I think you’re missing the boat, but nice chatting with you.

Have a great day! 🎉 🎊 🎈
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 13:55
    @fmf said
    I am not asking "personal questions". I am asking you about claims you have made in public here and your demeanour and behaviour here in public.
    Have a great day! 👋
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 14:101 edit
    @fmf said
    If such hopes play some part in giving your life meaning and structure, so be it.
    If no hope in salvation and eternal life is part and parcel of how your life is structured, and if the absence of belief in the eternal plays a part in giving your life meaning, then may you find the security, peace and happiness you're pursuing in this lifetime in this world.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 14:14
    @josephw said
    If no hope in salvation and eternal life is part and parcel of how your life is structured, and if the absence of belief in the eternal plays a part in giving your life meaning, then may you find the security, peace and happiness you're pursuing in this lifetime in this world.
    While I think religion still has a purpose to serve in terms of society [as mentioned on page 1], for me personally, Christian beliefs have already served their purpose.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 16:13
    @fmf said
    Christian beliefs have already served their purpose.
    An interesting perspective.

Are you referring to your personal experience, or are you suggesting that "Christian beliefs"(which beliefs are you referring to?) are no longer a viable alternative in today's world?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 16:32
    @josephw said
    Are you suggesting that "Christian beliefs"(which beliefs are you referring to?) are no longer a viable alternative in today's world?
    Of course I'm not. Have you not been reading this thread?
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 17:26
    @fmf said
    Of course I'm not. Have you not been reading this thread?
    "...for me personally, Christian beliefs have already served their purpose."

So for you personally "Christian beliefs" are no longer viable. They "serve" no "purpose".
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 17:55
    @josephw said
    So for you personally "Christian beliefs" are no longer viable. They "serve" no "purpose".
    My Christian past forms a significant part of my "nurture". And it's "nurture" and "nature" that combine to form one's moral compass. So, for me personally, Christian beliefs have already served their purpose.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '22 01:22
    @fmf said
    While I agree with the sentiment that "...morality is [or should be] about reducing suffering in the world.... and spirituality is [or should be] about questioning and looking for answers"... I am inclined to think that religion continues to have a cohesive and meaning-creating purpose for most people in most cultures and societies.
    Ghost of a Duke [on another thread]: "I think the whole religion thing is limited in scope and that it is time for humanity to collectively put away childhood things and look to the future of science and exploration. There is still a huge amount we do not know, but that cognitive knowledge isn't going to be found looking backwards."

The question is this:

Religious values are transmitted via "nurture" ~ i.e. what people experience that contributes hugely to the formation of their moral compasses.

Those values are absorbed as we grow and help us to govern our behaviour and they act in favour of social cohesion, how is this process replaced exactly if the values-baby is possibly thrown out with the religionist bathwater?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree