1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '19 06:48
    Brunei is enacting strict new laws that make gay sex and adultery punishable by stoning to death.

Is this "evil" according to your moral outlook?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Apr '19 07:04
    @fmf said
    Brunei is enacting strict new laws that make gay sex and adultery punishable by stoning to death.

Three issues here;
    the criminalizing of a persons sexuality
    the sentence for that "crime" : death
    the method: stoning

All 3 are immoral.
    I cannot see any justification for any.
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Apr '19 07:35
    @fmf said

Based on my own morality, fashioned from the society I grew up in and the experiences, influences, and education that have shaped my moral outlook, I would view such a punishment as wrong and immoral.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '19 07:411 edit
    @fmf said

Absolutely; it’s a horrific attack on human rights and the civilised world should protest in the strongest terms.

On a note of protesting, I find it astonishing that none of the vocal contributors to the debates forum started a thread on this topic. There are recent threads on Trumps German father buffoonery, how to use swear words on RHP without getting modded and Fox News on Mexican counties, but nothing at from the liberal community on this as there wasn’t on Corbyn and the antisemitism row.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Apr '19 10:04
    @fmf said

Yes.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Apr '19 10:07
    @divegeester said
    Absolutely; it’s a horrific attack on human rights and the civilised world should protest in the strongest terms.

On a note of protesting, I find it astonishing that none of the vocal contributors to the debates forum started a thread on this topic. There are recent threads on Trumps German father buffoonery, how to use swear words on RHP without getting modded and Fo ...[text shortened]... ut nothing at from the liberal community on this as there wasn’t on Corbyn and the antisemitism row.
    This is the first I've heard of this, Junior.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Apr '19 10:08
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Based on my own morality, fashioned from the society I grew up in and the experiences, influences, and education that have shaped my moral outlook, I would view such a punishment as wrong and immoral.
    That's all any of us have, Ghost.
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Apr '19 11:13
    @suzianne said
    That's all any of us have, Ghost.
    I thought you also had a moral law giver?

🙄
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Apr '19 11:20
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I thought you also had a moral law giver?

🙄
    I thought you didn’t
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Apr '19 11:241 edit
    @kellyjay said
    I thought you didn’t
    I don't.

(I said 'also' as 'in addition to' that which Suzianne referenced).
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Apr '19 11:25
    @fmf said

You are asking if this is evil? Don’t you really mean if people approve or not, aren’t you just asking for opinions?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '19 11:271 edit
    @kellyjay said
    I thought you didn’t
    So whose "north star" should we set our "compasses" for? The Sultan of Brunei's, Ghost of a Duke's or KellyJay's?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '19 11:31
    @kellyjay said
    You are asking if this is evil? Don’t you really mean if people approve or not, aren’t you just asking for opinions?
    I am asking you if you think it is "evil"? You can dodge the question if you want to. It's your prerogative.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '19 12:33
    @fmf said
    I am asking you if you think it is "evil"? You can dodge the question if you want to. It's your prerogative.
    Is that not Sharia law?

Do you think Sharia law is evil?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '19 12:52
    @whodey said
    Is that not Sharia law?

Do you think Sharia law is evil?
    Some of it is OK. Some of it strikes me as "evil", yes. I oppose capital punishment; I don't think homosexuality, in and of itself, is immoral; and I don't think adultery is any of the government's business aside from the courts presiding over contested divorces. Do you think the Sultan of Brunei's new laws are "evil"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree