1. Joined
    22 Sep '10
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 14:371 edit
    I'm happy to see that this suggestion has generated some interest. I rarely use the vacation flag but when I use it, its because I am in a place or situation where my ability to keep up my games will be questionable. For example this last spring we lost all power and cell capability for over a week (so no the internet was NOT everywhere). I had to drive to town to find a spot in a parking lot with wifi if I wanted to move. Being able to use this flag and still move in my games from time to time was/is a nice feature. However not everyone uses this flag in a considerate way. When I made this suggestion I was very frustrated with an opponent who was clearly using the flag as a way to manage a large number of active games. I would prefer not to play people like that. I feel it would be VERY helpful if I could see how much longer an opponent might be on vacation in the given year. I personally see no privacy issues here since having set this flag in no way gives away the actual actions or availability of its user. I feel 36 or 21 is just some arbitrary number I don't really care which it is.
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 14:38
    i advocate for 28 days vacation
    moves should be allowed during vacation
    privacy of the data should be an option for the player
  3. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 14:42
    @Russ

I think vacation should remain a subscriber only feature. I do wish that the timebank only hardcore tournaments were exempt from the vacation system, as they, like blitz, have a maximum specified playing time (Game = 21 days apiece).

I think that the total vacation days should be reduced to four weeks (28 days) per year. Those who travel more often or have medical needs have the option to play the long haul and glacial events.

I only use the vacation flag when I am uncertain of internet access or be relying on mobile data where I have limited megabytes. This doesn't always mean I am actually on a vacation so I think moves should be allowed. If the timebank or timeout clock stopped during vacation I would argue otherwise.

I have no real objection to having my remaining vacation balance being displayed on my profile but, as I play a fair number of games against non subscribers via open invites, I am concerned they may be put off playing seeing it displayed in black and white so to speak.
  4. Joined
    26 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 15:43
    @Russ I agree 36 is too many. I don't agree with no moves on vacation. One doesn't always know if you'll have the time/means to play and the safest way is to use vacation time to prevent timeouts. I think we can all agree playing chess is relaxing and vacations aren't always so relaxing so a break can be helpful. In that case, I choose the games with the least time remaining. Waiting for a game to finish is really only a problem for people with a restriction on the number of games other than the frustration that engenders. As for making information on length of vacations public, as long as we're all anonymous that's fine, but it's easy for some hackers to figure out who's who and that may present a problem. I don't want to sound paranoid, but it's something to consider. Thanks
  5. Here
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 16:12
    Last year and the year before I spent quite a bit of time in Hospital
    I ran out of vacation time so lost a lot of games
    I am due to go into hospital again to have a kideney removed and I hope to use my vacation time not to lose games
    If you intend to reduce the vacation time you should have a stop on the clock
    So that it doesn't run down
  6. Northumberland UK
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 16:16
    This should NOT be made public as it potentially a way for criminals to know how long you will be away from home for. You are already advised to not put the fact you are on holiday on FB etc, the only way to stop being timed out on games here is to announce that you are away, however, the criminals do not know if that is for 1 day or 2 weeks, don't make it easy for them!
    I have absolutely no issue with how long my opponent may be away for. Its just part of the game. What difference would it make to me to know they are away for 2 weeks or 2 days? I still log in daily to see who has moved and respond accordingly. Please DO NOT make this public.
  7. Martintown Ontario
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 16:51
    I have no objection to having my remaining vacation days posted. I noted in comments that some players make moves while on vacation. I am one of those. Our cabin is somewhat remote and does not have internet/tv or phone service but if I am in town for supplies and stop at some place with wifi I may log in to make some moves. Otherwise I may have no access for a considerable length of time.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 16:521 edit
    This is a good idea.

My thoughts
    - visible vacation remaining is fine I think
    - 25 days should be sufficient, I’d be happy with 20 tbh, any more just gets abused too often
    - should “vacation” protection be removed for clan games and tournaments?

-
  9. Joined
    29 May '04
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 18:14
    Sou a favor da divulgação dos dias faltantes e acho 36 dias de férias suficientes.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 18:54
    @luizandre said
    Sou a favor da divulgação dos dias faltantes e acho 36 dias de férias suficientes.
    Dat kist doe nou wel zeg'n, moar ik geleuf nait dat dien maining hier wat woard is.
  11. Frederick MD USA
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 20:23
    I am OK with making public the time that I am booked on vacation. When it is booked.
  12. Joined
    22 Sep '10
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 21:24
    @Gremlings
    Respectfully I have to disagree with you here three points.
    1. this setting has absolutely nothing to do with your actual activities (away or otherwise). It is simply an indication that you may not be playing your games for some number of days. The only information you are providing any 'hacker' is how likely you are to move in a chess game.
    2. All I am asking for is to know how many remaining vacation days an opponent has for the current year, if for no other reason then so I can decide if I want to wait them out or resign.
    3. The reason I care is because some players use this setting as a way filtering which games they move in and which games they make wait. I have seen it in cases where the player has a large number of active games. You may not care that you have to wait over a month for some to move in some tournament game but I find it pretty tiresome.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 22:02
    @gremlings said
    This should NOT be made public as it potentially a way for criminals to know how long you will be away from home for. You are already advised to not put the fact you are on holiday on FB etc, the only way to stop being timed out on games here is to announce that you are away, however, the criminals do not know if that is for 1 day or 2 weeks, don't make it easy for them! ...[text shortened]... ? I still log in daily to see who has moved and respond accordingly. Please DO NOT make this public.
    What's your address?
  14. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 22:46
    @Russ
    I have no objection to the number of vacation days remaining being made public on a player's profile.
  15. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 23:29
    @tombeatenbaugh
    In my opinion, 36 days is not excessive. I’m sure that many players are retired and/or well off and can afford to get away for more than 21 days. Also, and especially with COVID, many players may have serious medical issues.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree