1. Joined
    22 Sep '10
    Moves
    06 Mar '21 20:18
    Please forgive me if this is spoken in ignorance, or is an already considered change but.... It would be nice if I had some way to see how many more vacation days an opponent has left. I sometimes have games against opponents who seem to use the vacation flag an awful lot and for long periods of time (while continuing to play some of their games ... just not mine). It would be easier to be patient with them or decide to resign the games if I knew how much vacation they had left for the year. So far I've not figured out how to determine this.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Apr '21 09:51
    @jmwinrider said
    Please forgive me if this is spoken in ignorance, or is an already considered change but.... It would be nice if I had some way to see how many more vacation days an opponent has left. I sometimes have games against opponents who seem to use the vacation flag an awful lot and for long periods of time (while continuing to play some of their games ... just not mine). It wo ...[text shortened]... ew how much vacation they had left for the year. So far I've not figured out how to determine this.
    As yet there is no way.

I support the suggestion however.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    16 Apr '21 13:09
    @jmwinrider said
    Please forgive me if this is spoken in ignorance, or is an already considered change but.... It would be nice if I had some way to see how many more vacation days an opponent has left. I sometimes have games against opponents who seem to use the vacation flag an awful lot and for long periods of time (while continuing to play some of their games ... just not mine). It wo ...[text shortened]... ew how much vacation they had left for the year. So far I've not figured out how to determine this.
    It has been suggested in the past but not implemented.
    I also agree it could be useful.
    Looks like Russ is really busy with other stuff and it would be low priority I would think.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    22 Apr '21 09:021 edit
    @venda said
    It has been suggested in the past but not implemented.
    I also agree it could be useful.
    Looks like Russ is really busy with other stuff and it would be low priority I would think.
    Well he did some changes quickly in the past, if it was easy to implement.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 Apr '21 17:471 edit
    The vacation days remaining was considered potentially sensitive data to be public when the vacation system was built. I suspect this was never the case, so I will message all subs, and if no one objects, I'll make the data public on a player's profile.
  6. Atlanta, Ga. USA
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 09:31
    The internet is everywhere.. Vacation days are used to slow down games. Vacationers pick and choose the games they move in. If you use vacation time you shouldn't be allowed to move in any of your games. 36 days is excessive. To answer the question YES it should be public.
  7. Subscribertharg
    Tharg The Mighty
    Betelgeuse
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 09:35

Removed by poster

8. Subscribertharg
    Tharg The Mighty
    Betelgeuse
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 09:35
    @tombeatenbaugh said
    The internet is everywhere.. Vacation days are used to slow down games. Vacationers pick and choose the games they move in. If you use vacation time you shouldn't be allowed to move in any of your games. 36 days is excessive. To answer the question YES it should be public.
    Absolutely agree on this idea. Vacation days are not free timebank.
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 09:45
    @tombeatenbaugh said
    Although this is a separate issue to the one under discussion, I agree, and believe 21 days max would have even been more suitable back when the vacation system was introduced. 36 was, and now definitely is, too much.

Two spin-off discussions (which could be put to a vote for all subscribers) -

- Reduction of vacation days.*
    - Prevent moves being made when vacation flag is up. This one is obviously the most contentious, but if an overwhelming majority of subscribers agree, I'm happy to implement it.

* Any change to vacation days could only happen at year end (start of 2022)
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 10:05
    @Russ I agree with all the suggestions. Less days, make days left visible, no moves while flag is up.
  11. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 10:091 edit
    @Russ

No travelling recently due to COVID, but I would like to be able to vacation where the internet isn't sometimes without having to lose all my existing games. It's a good feature that shouldn't be got rid of just because people abuse it.

Loads of people on this site do the thing where they don't move for the max. possible time in clearly losing positions so you have to learn to just be with that. I sometimes make notes of my ideas now in anticipation.

Edit: totally agree with no moving while flag is up.
  12. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 10:09
    @russ said
    Although this is a separate issue to the one under discussion, I agree, and believe 21 days max would have even been more suitable back when the vacation system was introduced. 36 was, and now definitely is, too much.

Two spin-off discussions (which could be put to a vote for all subscribers) -

- Reduction of vacation days.*
    - Prevent moves being made when vacation flag ...[text shortened]... appy to implement it.

* Any change to vacation days could only happen at year end (start of 2022)
    As has been said - the internet is everywhere, so reducing the number of days available shouldn't be a problem.
    Even if you reduce it to 21 - over the new year you could end up with 42 days immunity.

If you're taking a break away from the games you have going - then you should take a break. Not allowing your opponent the timeout option but still allowing you to move when on "vacation" has always seemed unfair.

So, yes reduce the number of days for vacation and when the flag is up - block moves as well. This needs to be done in a way that doesn't allow for quickly going off holiday to make a move then straight back on vacation again.
  13. Victor, New York
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 10:25
    I have a different opinion. I use the vacation time when I am on vacation or in a place where I might not have the time or inclination to keep all of my games current. (Also, even though the internet seems to be everywhere, it’s not effectively that way. Think cruise ships where internet is an additional charge.) when I use vacation, I like to make moves if I can so that I don’t lose valuable time out. I consider vacation time my “play if you want, don’t play if you don’t”.

I have no objection to making total vacation time public but don’t you really want to know how much longer the current vacation flag is?

As for the other issues, 36 days is fine with me. 21 is a little short (I’m retired and used to vacation a lot.) I want to be able to move during vacation time due to the number of games I carry. Would the restriction on moves also restrict my actions as a club and clan leader?
  14. Standard memberHomer1Simpson
    The REAL UK Homer 😁
    Here, obviously!
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 10:301 edit
    @tombeatenbaugh said
    Whenever I've used my vacation days, it's ALWAYS applied to all my games as it should. To use vacation days as a way of slowing down a particular game/s is despicable and and is a form of cheating. Therefore, when a player uses their vacation days it should apply to ALL of their games, surely?
  15. Utrecht Netherlands
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 10:45
    I guess that it is an excellent idea.

Whenever I take time off, this would disturb the flow for my opponent.

Since it is in the end the two of us that are 'colleagues' in the game, I believe that it is more than fair to inform him of my time off.

So totally subscribing to the idea of making it public.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree