1. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 03:58
    @Very-Rusty

Incidentally, the fighter named Guglielmo Papaleo on your list was better known as Willie Pep.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 04:57
    @chaney3 said
    Don't ruin another thread with your FMF like antics.
    Even if he wasn't beneath contempt as a human being, Mike Tyson would not be my subjective and not-overly-interested-in-boxing pick as the 'best fighter ever'. My choice would be Jack Johnson.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 05:301 edit
    @very-rusty said
    I would disagree Ali would have beat him when they were both in their Prime and later. I watched pretty well all of both their fights at the beginning and during their boxing careers. Only think is if Tyson hit Ali it could be a KO...I just don't think he could have connected Ali was just to quick on his feet. Around the end of career when he started the rope-a-dope stuff he should have retired, as he had slowed down considerably.

-VR
    I watched most of their fights too and based on nothing more than gut instinct my money in a fight based on their early form, would be on Tyson landing one of those KO blows you mention.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 05:321 edit
    @chaney3 said
    Okay then, apologies.

Tyson's case was unique for me. He obviously had enough stats along with heavyweight champ to be considered one of the greats, but for me it was his menacing walk to the ring putting warranted fear into his opponent that did it for me.

It was the fact he was so feared that attracted people to want to see him destroy his opponents.

I don't think any other fighter in history had that quality to the degree Tyson did.
    He was feared in the ring for a period because of his brute strength and punch power, but he lacked longevity to be classed as the best HW boxer ever. That has to go to Ali.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 06:01
    @divegeester said
    He was feared in the ring for a period because of his brute strength and punch power, but he lacked longevity to be classed as the best HW boxer ever. That has to go to Ali.
    I think his longevity was affected by his trainer dying, who was like a father figure, his terrible marriage, and his likely drug problems. Not to mention getting involved with Don King.

Had his personal life not unraveled the way it did, he would have beaten Douglas and history would be different.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 08:02
    @chaney3 said
    Best fighter ever?

I think so.
    No.

Muhammed Ali.

He was The Greatest.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 09:58
    @suzianne said
    No.

Muhammed Ali.

He was The Greatest.
    No doubt about it.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 10:25
    Ali seems to be the popular vote right now as the best fighter ever.

I think so too especially in his prime He was unbeatable. As I've said I think he hung around too long and got too many punches to the head which may have caused his medical issues later in his life.

He use to brag alot with his poetry....remember an expression he used float like a butterfly sting like a bee. He mosly did back up his bragging though in the ring.

Muhammad Ali: Heavyweight Champion of the World
    After winning his first 19 fights, including 15 knockouts, Clay received his first title shot on February 25, 1964, against reigning heavyweight champion Sonny Liston (1932-1970).Dec 16, 2009.

Like Ali, I believe Sonny Liston also fought longer than he should have! I would have liked to see that fight when Sonny was in his Prime.

-VR
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 10:272 edits
    @divegeester said
    Based on what criteria?
    Having an ear fetish.

All the greats had one like Van Goh
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 10:34
    @handyandy said
    @Very-Rusty

Incidentally, the fighter named Guglielmo Papaleo on your list was better known as Willie Pep.
    Thanks Andy he was a bit before my time I just looked up his stats.

Willie Pep - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Pep
    Guglielmo Papaleo (September 19, 1922 – November 23, 2006) was an American professional boxer, better known as Willie Pep who held the World Featherweight championship twice between the years of 1942 and 1950.
    Total fights‎: ‎241 Wins‎: ‎229
    Wins by KO‎: ‎65 Losses‎: ‎11

I see why he made the list Impressive career!

I may check out u-tube see if I can find some of his fights.

-VR
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 10:46
    @fmf said
    Even if he wasn't beneath contempt as a human being, Mike Tyson would not be my subjective and not-overly-interested-in-boxing pick as the 'best fighter ever'. My choice would be Jack Johnson.
    Jack Johnson didn't even make the top 8 list.

How do you see him as being the "best fighter ever'?

-VR
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 10:48
    @chaney3 said
    Had his personal life not unraveled the way it did, he would have beaten Douglas and history would be different.
    By “not unravelled” do mean him not rapping someone in a hotel room?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 11:09
    @divegeester said
    By “not unravelled” do mean him not rapping someone in a hotel room?
    The rape accusation happened AFTER the Douglas loss.

That fight was the pivotal point in his life.
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 11:24
    @chaney3 said
    Best fighter ever?

I think so.
    I’ll agree because you didn’t use the term boxer
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Aug '19 11:28
    @whodey said
    Having an ear fetish.

All the greats had one like Van Goh
    And Noddy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree