Ruth Ginsberg

Ruth Ginsberg

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Sep 20

Passed away today. What happens now?

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
18 Sep 20

@dendron said
sad news
I don't know what the nomination process is a month or so from an election

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Sep 20

@lemondrop said
sad news
I don't know what the nomination process is a month or so from an election
Condolences to her family.

Now for the politics; it's interesting. Moscow Mitch will surely push any nominee through before Biden's inauguration but you wonder if he'll wait until after the election. There's a number of vulnerable Republican Senators who's re-election prospects won't be helped by a vote for the type of rabid right winger that conservatives are going to insist on. But he'll still have the votes in the lame duck session.

This just magnifies the necessity of a Democratic Senate and House which could pass legislation creating additional SCOTUS seats next year.

rain

Moves
19 Sep 20

Condolences to RGB's family. She'll be ranked with greats like Thurgood Marshall.

Remember when Mitch stopped Obama by concocting some BS about "presidents can't nominate in in election year"? Then when asked what if it was Trump, he said "I'd fill it"? This is the scum that oozes throughout the Republican party.

Moves
19 Sep 20

@dendron said
for her, I guess trying to answer why she allowed so many babies to be killed.

rain

Moves
19 Sep 20

@mott-the-hoople said
Well, when you have rapists like Kavanaugh...

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Sep 20

@vivify said
Well, when you have rapists like Kavanaugh...
Mott's quote above is proven. This one is not. This exemplifies the weakness in these threads..Just throw it out there, hope it sticks.

Read a book!

Moves
19 Sep 20

@dendron said
The name is Ginsburg.

m

Moves
19 Sep 20

@dendron said
Mott's quote above is proven. This one is not. This exemplifies the weakness in these threads..Just throw it out there, hope it sticks.
The statement is not proven because it is false.
Babies are not killed if they haven't been born yet.
Like Mott so strenuously pointed out in another thread, the US is a land of laws.

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
19 Sep 20

@mghrn55 said
The statement is not proven because it is false.
Babies are not killed if they haven't been born yet.
Like Mott so strenuously pointed out in another thread, the US is a land of laws.
Well put.

As for what happens now... Republican hypocrisy oozing it’s fetid sweat all over us.

Über-Nerd

Moves
19 Sep 20
1 edit

@dendron said
Trump will nominate his candidate and the Senate will rubber-stamp the candidate in record time, before January. It will hinge on abortion. This appointment will be Trump’s legacy. If the American public smell a rat, then Republicans will suffer massive defeats in the next Senate elections.

My predictions.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Sep 20
1 edit

@mott-the-hoople said
I don't know, do they actually kill babies where you come from?

No wonder you think everyone kills babies.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Sep 20

@dendron said
Not exactly.

Nowhere in the US is it legal to kill babies.

Z

Moves
19 Sep 20

@dendron said
no dear, it's not proven. Supporting legislation to allow women to abort a bundle of cells is not "killing babies".

Vivify made a mistake. He shouldn't have replied to a bad statement without pointing out how bad it is.

You didn't have a baby killer and a potential rapist on the supreme court. You had a legislator advocating for women rights and a potential rapist.

Z

Moves
19 Sep 20

@no1marauder said
Condolences to her family.

Now for the politics; it's interesting. Moscow Mitch will surely push any nominee through before Biden's inauguration but you wonder if he'll wait until after the election. There's a number of vulnerable Republican Senators who's re-election prospects won't be helped by a vote for the type of rabid right winger that conservatives are going to ...[text shortened]... Democratic Senate and House which could pass legislation creating additional SCOTUS seats next year.
Can senate democrats filibuster the vote until Biden is sworn in?