Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Sep '20 00:42
    @lemondrop said
    sad news
    I don't know what the nomination process is a month or so from an election
    Condolences to her family.

Now for the politics; it's interesting. Moscow Mitch will surely push any nominee through before Biden's inauguration but you wonder if he'll wait until after the election. There's a number of vulnerable Republican Senators who's re-election prospects won't be helped by a vote for the type of rabid right winger that conservatives are going to insist on. But he'll still have the votes in the lame duck session.

This just magnifies the necessity of a Democratic Senate and House which could pass legislation creating additional SCOTUS seats next year.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Sep '20 00:50
    Condolences to RGB's family. She'll be ranked with greats like Thurgood Marshall.

Remember when Mitch stopped Obama by concocting some BS about "presidents can't nominate in in election year"? Then when asked what if it was Trump, he said "I'd fill it"? This is the scum that oozes throughout the Republican party.
  5. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '20 00:52
    @dendron said
    Passed away today. What happens now?
    for her, I guess trying to answer why she allowed so many babies to be killed.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Sep '20 00:55
    @mott-the-hoople said
    Well, when you have rapists like Kavanaugh...
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Sep '20 01:48
    @vivify said
    Well, when you have rapists like Kavanaugh...
    Mott's quote above is proven. This one is not. This exemplifies the weakness in these threads..Just throw it out there, hope it sticks.
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    19 Sep '20 03:21
    @dendron said
    The name is Ginsburg.
  9. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    19 Sep '20 03:45
    @dendron said
    Mott's quote above is proven. This one is not. This exemplifies the weakness in these threads..Just throw it out there, hope it sticks.
    The statement is not proven because it is false.
    Babies are not killed if they haven't been born yet.
    Like Mott so strenuously pointed out in another thread, the US is a land of laws.
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    19 Sep '20 04:19
    @mghrn55 said
    The statement is not proven because it is false.
    Babies are not killed if they haven't been born yet.
    Like Mott so strenuously pointed out in another thread, the US is a land of laws.
    Well put.

As for what happens now... Republican hypocrisy oozing it’s fetid sweat all over us.
  11. Subscribermoonbusonline
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Sep '20 04:491 edit
    @dendron said
    Trump will nominate his candidate and the Senate will rubber-stamp the candidate in record time, before January. It will hinge on abortion. This appointment will be Trump’s legacy. If the American public smell a rat, then Republicans will suffer massive defeats in the next Senate elections.

My predictions.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Sep '20 06:211 edit
    @mott-the-hoople said
    I don't know, do they actually kill babies where you come from?

No wonder you think everyone kills babies.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Sep '20 06:22
    @dendron said
    Not exactly.

Nowhere in the US is it legal to kill babies.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '20 08:14
    @dendron said
    no dear, it's not proven. Supporting legislation to allow women to abort a bundle of cells is not "killing babies".

Vivify made a mistake. He shouldn't have replied to a bad statement without pointing out how bad it is.

You didn't have a baby killer and a potential rapist on the supreme court. You had a legislator advocating for women rights and a potential rapist.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '20 08:16
    @no1marauder said
    Condolences to her family.

Now for the politics; it's interesting. Moscow Mitch will surely push any nominee through before Biden's inauguration but you wonder if he'll wait until after the election. There's a number of vulnerable Republican Senators who's re-election prospects won't be helped by a vote for the type of rabid right winger that conservatives are going to ...[text shortened]... Democratic Senate and House which could pass legislation creating additional SCOTUS seats next year.
    Can senate democrats filibuster the vote until Biden is sworn in?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree