This old chestnut, again

This old chestnut, again

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
12 Apr 21

@divegeester said
Yes I do believe that, absolutely.
But you find me a scientist who believes it.

Besides this is an explosion of the word “spirituality” which I assert gets hijacked by those who do not believe in spirits, souls, or indeed anything supernatural.
It is not a case of atheists hijacking the word, it's you mistakenly believing you have a monopoly to it.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
12 Apr 21

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
12 Apr 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
It is not a case of atheists hijacking the word, it's you mistakenly believing you have a monopoly to it.
I hardly ever use it.

You’re welcome to use it of course, just know that when you do I’ll be chuckling at your pretentiousness.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
12 Apr 21

@divegeester said
I hardly ever use it.

You’re welcome to use it of course, just know that when you do I’ll be chuckling at your pretentiousness.
But you previously used the word 'object.'

Have you reconsidered your objection?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
12 Apr 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Again, psychology is to do with the psyche.

'Psyche comes from the Greek psykhe, which means “the soul, mind, spirit, or invisible animating entity which occupies the physical body.'

www.vocabulary.com
I know where the word comes from. The origin of the word doesn’t mean the discipline isn’t a science.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
12 Apr 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
But you previously used the word 'object.'

Have you reconsidered your objection?
No I object on an intellectual level, but you are MOST welcome to make yourself look pretentious by using it.

Have a go...

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
12 Apr 21

@divegeester said
Yes I do believe that, absolutely.
But you find me a scientist who believes it.

Besides this is an explosion of the word “spirituality” which I assert gets hijacked by those who do not believe in spirits, souls, or indeed anything supernatural.
You don't actually have to believe in these things to accept the possibility of their existence.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
12 Apr 21

@avalanchethecat said
You don't actually have to believe in these things to accept the possibility of their existence.
Of course.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
12 Apr 21

@divegeester said
No I object on an intellectual level, but you are MOST welcome to make yourself look pretentious by using it.

Have a go...
Apologies. I didn't know you had such a level.

Moves
13 Apr 21

In a time of chestnuts, it's good to have a rowan wand.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
13 Apr 21
1 edit

@divegeester said
This is a class example of a non-sequitur.

Yes a theist can be a scientist, but it does not logically follow that a scientist can be committed to a spiritual belief.

Unless like ghost of a duke you wish to conflate spirituality with the meditative concepts related to consciousness. Which I maintain are simply cognitive processing.
“ Yes a theist can be a scientist, but it does not logically follow that a scientist can be committed to a spiritual belief. ”

This is a classic case of making a statement without any rationale in support of it. It does not logically follow that a scientist, by virtue of being a scientist, is excluded from a spiritual belief.
I do not think I’m making the same argument as Ghost, I’m not interested in conflating spirituality with psychology or religion, as I’ve mentioned I think the latter is the antithesis of spirituality whilst the former is probably unrelated to it, if it exists at all.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
13 Apr 21

@divegeester said
Of course.
Then... can we not all, atheist and believer alike, consider the spiritual?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
13 Apr 21
1 edit

@avalanchethecat said
Then... can we not all, atheist and believer alike, consider the spiritual?
Sure, if you believe in the metaphysical, that which appertains to spirits and souls.

If one doesn’t believe in spirits and souls etc, then talking about being more “spiritual” is a misnomer in my opinion. Calling the meditative experience, seeking inner calm or centredness, or whatever makes sense from a biological and scientific POV. That which can be rationalised as an aspect of the working of the mind.

It’s not really about atheism, it’s more about does one believe in spirits or consciousness outside of the body, perhaps astral projection etc all that type of stuff I would say is “spirituality”. What happens within the mind and body is biological science.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
13 Apr 21

@divegeester said
Sure, if you believe in the metaphysical, that which appertains to spirits and souls.

If one doesn’t believe in spirits and souls etc, then talking about being more “spiritual” is a misnomer in my opinion. Calling the meditative experience, seeking inner calm or centredness, or whatever makes sense from a biological and scientific POV. That which can be rationalised a ...[text shortened]... of stuff I would say is “spirituality”. What happens within the mind and body is biological science.
But, as I say, it is possible to not hold a belief in these things but to allow that they might nevertheless still exist. I don't currently hold any belief in spirits and souls, but I'm not absolutely certain that I am right. I find value in discussing the subject with others to find their views and the basis for their beliefs, and I accept that their paradigm may more accurately represent reality than my own.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
13 Apr 21

@divegeester said

It’s not really about atheism, it’s more about does one believe in spirits or consciousness outside of the body, perhaps astral projection etc all that type of stuff I would say is “spirituality”. What happens within the mind and body is biological science.
I believe in a spirit 'inside' the body. It makes us who we are. Sometimes there is a disconnect with this spirit, which is where therapies comes in, like mindfulness or CBT. It is religion that seeks to give this spirit an other world dimension.