This old chestnut, again

This old chestnut, again

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Apr 21
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
And 'spirit' has long had a non-religious interpretation.
We are talking specifically about “spirituality” but I can see why you would prefer to contest the more multi-meaning word “spirit”.

E.g.
he has “spirit” (character) rather than he has A spirit (supernatural)

Vodka is a “spirit”

Paint brush cleaner is white “spirit”

“Spirituality” is not conjugated with character, vodka, paint brush cleaner.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Apr 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Altruism, for example, is simply an act where our primary motivation isn't self-interest.
Can you find me a definition from a respectable source which includes the specific “primary motivation”.

Thanks

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Apr 21

Based on your definition then giving a massage to your wife is altruism?

What about taking your own child to school?

S. Korea

Moves
12 Apr 21

@fmf said
I interpret "spirituality" to mean those metaphysical aspects of our human condition ~ the "human spirit" perhaps, or what religious people might refer to as our "souls" ~ where our capacity - as unique individuals - for abstraction allows us to question who we are and affect one another in non-physical ways.
So you are starting to use spiritual in a way that corresponds to psychological.

F

Moves
12 Apr 21

@philokalia said
So you are starting to use spiritual in a way that corresponds to psychological.
Well, personally, I think your recent conversion to the Orthodox Catholic Church, if it is to be understood, is perhaps best seen through a prism that combines psychology and anthropology, if that is the sort of thing you're getting at?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
12 Apr 21

@philokalia said
Fundamentally, psychology is the study of the psyche, which itself relates to the sense of self, of conscious personality, of spirit. (Or even the soul).

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
12 Apr 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Fundamentally, psychology is the study of the psyche, which itself relates to the sense of self, of conscious personality, of spirit. (Or even the soul).
At the risk of appearing repetitive or argumentative, I am really surprised that someone of your background and atheistic attitude would think stuff like you have posted here about the scientific approaches to the workings of what it ostensibly just a few pounds of, albeit complex, organic material powered by electrical impulses, oxygen and nutrients.

Myself of course being a believer in souls and the such totally agrees with your observation that there is more to the human condition that can be explained by science.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
12 Apr 21
1 edit

@divegeester said
Can you find me a definition from a respectable source which includes the specific “primary motivation”.

Thanks
It relates to a paper written by Christine Clavien on altruistic emotional motivation and specifically her focus on psychological altruism.

Altruism is where a person acts for the benefit of another and where self-interest is not the primary motivator, a selfless concern for the well-being of others. This is reflected in dictionary definitions (such as the Cambridge Dictionary, for example) which states a 'willingness to do things that bring advantages to others, even if it results in disadvantage for yourself.'

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
12 Apr 21

@divegeester said
At the risk of appearing repetitive or argumentative, I am really surprised that someone of your background and atheistic attitude would think stuff like you have posted here about the scientific approaches to the workings of what it ostensibly just a few pounds of, albeit complex, organic material powered by electrical impulses, oxygen and nutrients.

Myself of course ...[text shortened]... es with your observation that there is more to the human condition that can be explained by science.
I believe in spirit and soul in an entirely non-religious context and flag the word you used yourself 'complex' as particularly significant. It is the complexity of the brain (which we barely understand the workings of) that gives the psyche its je ne sais pas.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
12 Apr 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
It relates to a paper written by Christine Clavien on altruistic emotional motivation and specifically his focus on psychological altruism.

Altruism is where a person acts for the benefit of another and where self-interest is not the primary motivator, a selfless concern for the well-being of others. This is reflected in dictionary definitions (such as the Cambridg ...[text shortened]... ness to do things that bring advantages to others, even if it results in disadvantage for yourself.'
Firstly I believe there is lots of goodness in the world outside of theism.

I accept that people do nice things for other people where the primary motivation is doing a nice thing for another person.

However these things are not done without some sort of emotional self-reward.

That is my point.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
12 Apr 21
2 edits

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I believe in spirit and soul in an entirely non-religious context and flag the word you used yourself 'complex' as particularly significant. It is the complexity of the brain (which we barely understand the workings of) that gives the psyche its je ne sais pas.
As I replied to this point earlier (perhaps you missed it), the fact that something is complex is not an excuse to replace a scientific explanation with a metaphysical or even religious one.

Because early man didn’t understand where the sky, the earth and themselves came from, they invented...Gods who created them.

What you are saying here is exactly the same thing - actually it’s the same rationale not the same thing - and I confess to including the word “complex” as a bait to draw this out. Sorry.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
12 Apr 21

@divegeester said
Firstly I believe there is lots of goodness in the world outside of theism.

I accept that people do nice things for other people where the primary motivation is doing a nice thing for another person.

However these things are not done without some sort of emotional self-reward.

That is my point.
Some sort of emotional self-reward (or a warm fuzzy feeling) doesn't negate or undo the act of altruism, that's my point. Primary motivator allows for such secondary feelings.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
12 Apr 21

@divegeester said
As I replied to this point earlier (perhaps you missed it), the fact that something is complex is not an excuse to replace a scientific explanation with a metaphysical or even religious one.

Because early man didn’t understand where the sky, the earth and themselves came from, they invented...Gods who created them.

What you are saying here is exactly the same thing ...[text shortened]... ot the same thing - and I confess to including the word “complex” as a bait to draw this out. Sorry.
The complexity of the brain has a dimension that we don't fully understand. It is this unknown dimension that contains the spirit, the sense of self. I am not looking to the heavens for an explanation. I fully accept biological reasons beyond our current understanding. I am not dipping my toes into non-scientific origin.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
12 Apr 21
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Some sort of emotional self-reward (or a warm fuzzy feeling) doesn't negate or undo the act of altruism, that's my point. Primary motivator allows for such secondary feelings.
Without the “warm fuzzy feelings” of self reward many acts of so-called altruism wouldn’t happen. There is a reason evolution has put the “warm fuzzy feeling” right up there to be felt as a warm and fuzzy sense of bio-chemical reward.

It’s biological evolution in step with social evolution. That is the scientific approach.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
12 Apr 21
2 edits

@ghost-of-a-duke said
The complexity of the brain has a dimension that we don't fully understand. It is this unknown dimension that contains the spirit, the sense of self. I am not looking to the heavens for an explanation. I fully accept biological reasons beyond our current understanding. I am not dipping my toes into non-scientific origin.
The “sense of self” is not called “spirit”, this is your own personal conflation. To conflate “spirit” as in a person’s character, sense of self determination etc, with a spiritual soul, is downright delusional.

I’m surprised you are even attempting it.