1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Apr '21 19:52
    @divegeester said
    In science it’s called a brain.
    Brain function is a tangible thing, something we can monitor and observe. A person's spirit falls outside of this.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '21 19:521 edit
    @indonesia-phil saidmple, if an atheist like myself sees a beautiful sunset, I might say that it 'moves my spirit', which seems fair enough to me, but if you object to the 's' word, give us another one which doesn't offend your literary sensibilities.
    Do you have a metaphysical spirit?

If you don’t have a metaphysical spirit to move, then saying that the sunset “moved your spirit” is just pseudo-ethereal meaningless waffle describing a nice warm emotional feeling.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '21 19:531 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Brain function is a tangible thing, something we can monitor and observe. A person's spirit falls outside of this.
    Do you have a metaphysical spirit “outside” of your brain ?
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Apr '21 19:57
    @divegeester said
    Do you have a metaphysical spirit?
    Where in the brain would you locate a person's zest for life?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '21 19:57
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Is that a yes or a no?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '21 19:58
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    In their brain.

Are you sure you work in mental health! 😂
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Apr '21 20:04
    @divegeester said
    In their brain.

Are you sure you work in mental health! 😂
    Could you pinpoint it?

I do not believe we have consciousness outside of ourselves but the human spirit is a far more complicated affair than simple brain function. It is everything we have ever experienced, and I don't just mean memory. Having worked for many years with people with dementia I have seen spirit even when the brain has started to fail. Spirit is the very petrol in our engine, something that can be damaged without any physical injury. It can be broken and lost.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '21 20:051 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Could you pinpoint it?
    I’ll answer then once you’ve told me wether or not you have a metaphysical spirit “outside” of your brain 🧠

😃
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '21 20:06
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I do not believe we have consciousness outside of ourselves but the human spirit is a far more complicated affair than simple brain function. It is everything we have ever experienced, and I don't just mean memory. Having worked for many years with people with dementia I have seen spirit even when the brain has started to fail. Spirit is the very petrol in our engine, something that can be damaged without any physical injury. It can be broken and lost.
    Right, so this is something metaphysical or...not?
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Apr '21 20:10
    @divegeester said
    Our spirit is contained within ourselves and in how we relate to the world.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Apr '21 20:10
    @divegeester said
    This warrants a more thoughtful response.

'I do not believe we have consciousness outside of ourselves but the human spirit is a far more complicated affair than simple brain function. It is everything we have ever experienced, and I don't just mean memory. Having worked for many years with people with dementia I have seen spirit even when the brain has started to fail. Spirit is the very petrol in our engine, something that can be damaged without any physical injury. It can be broken and lost.'
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '21 20:19
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    This warrants a more thoughtful response.

'I do not believe we have consciousness outside of ourselves but the human spirit is a far more complicated affair than simple brain function. It is everything we have ever experienced, and I don't just mean memory. Having worked for many years with people with dementia I have seen spirit even when the brain has started to ...[text shortened]... n our engine, something that can be damaged without any physical injury. It can be broken and lost.'
    Haha.

Okay sonship.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '21 20:20
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Our spirit is contained within ourselves and in how we relate to the world.
    But not in our brain?

So where?
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Apr '21 20:30
    @divegeester said
    But not in our brain?

So where?
    You are trying to simplify something that simply isn't simple. Of course the brain enables the spirit, but it is not something one can point to like a liver or a big toe. Think of spirit in the same way you would think of character or personality, or a sense of humour. Spirit is the source of our individuality.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '21 21:42
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    You are trying to simplify something that simply isn't simple. Of course the brain enables the spirit, but it is not something one can point to like a liver or a big toe. Think of spirit in the same way you would think of character or personality, or a sense of humour. Spirit is the source of our individuality.
    It’s a very simple question I’m asking you, is what you call your spirit something metaphysical or...not?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree