1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 09:37
    Christians believe in some acts as a "sin" even though the Bible doesn't even mention it.

Perhaps the biggest one:

Abortion. Not mentioned anywhere in the Bible. Christians believe it's a sin because it's the killing of an unborn, which in the minds of Christians, amounts to murder.

Drug use. Christians are okay with drinking since even Jesus did so, but not okay with drunkenness. *As far as I know*, drunkenness is considered irresponsible, but not a sin. Extrapolating from this, it could be argued that Marijuana use is not a sin, so long as you're not stoned off your arse.

Masturbation. Not mentioned in the Bible. Christians believe it's a sin because sexual thoughts often accompany the act. But then there's the question of what if masturbation is done simply because the person enjoys the feeling, rather than being motivated by some thought? Catholics feel the act itself is a sin, due to a misinterpretation of an OT text about "spilling seed".

Suicide. Back in my church days, I often heard suicide was one of the most serious sins. The Bible also doesn't mention this one.

Gambling. Not mentioned in the Bible. I'm not sure exactly why this one is believed to be a sin, usually by more traditional Christians.

Wasting food. I think this was a saying that originated a few generations ago. I don't know if anyone still says this, but I've heard this before.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 09:50
    @vivify said
    Christians believe in some acts as a "sin" even though the Bible doesn't even mention it.
    robbie carrobie was adamant that oral sex was "sinful".
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 09:51
    @vivify said
    Sex trafficking?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 10:10

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 10:27
    @vivify said

Perhaps the biggest one:

Abortion. Not mentioned anywhere in the Bible. Christians believe it's a sin because it's the killing of an unborn, which in the minds of Christians, amounts to murder.

Drug use. Christians are okay with drinking since even Jesus did so, but not oka ...[text shortened]... iginated a few generations ago. I don't know if anyone still says this, but I've heard this before.
    Good thread idea. Ok I’ll provide some initial thoughts...

Abortion.
    Someone in the OT was reprimanded by God for “spilling his seed on the ground” (can’t remember without looking it up). While this isn’t abortion it is probably linked to the Catholic creed of not using contraception.

Drug use
    One could quite strongly argue that John was high as a kite when he wrote Revelation (I wouldn’t but someone could), although I’m not familiar with any hallucinogenics growing wild on Patmos.

Masturbation
    Is strongly inferred to be wrong by Jesus who said “any man who looks at a woman and lusts after her in her heart, commits adultery”. Pretty clear.

Suicide
    One could argue that Jesus committed suicide. I wouldn’t, but someone could.

Gambling
    No thoughts on this other than I put my savings into premium bonds and effectively gamble the interest or the chance of winning a prize.

Wasting food
    It could be argued, I wouldn’t but someone could, that all the baskets of left over food from the feeding of the thousands was “wasted food”.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 10:28
    @fmf said
    Didn’t he once say that he found his wife’s genitalia repellent?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 10:40
    @divegeester said
    Masturbation
    Is strongly inferred to be wrong by Jesus who said “any man who looks at a woman and lusts after her in her heart, commits adultery”. Pretty clear.
    Too much information about you "strongly inferred" here, divegeester, methinks.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 10:42
    @divegeester said
    Didn’t he once say that he found his wife’s genitalia repellent?
    Yes, and he believed marital rape was acceptable because it was "not logically possible".
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 11:15

Removed by poster

10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 15:31
    @fmf said
    Catholics believe this. They also believe anal sex is sinful, even between married hetero couples.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 15:32
    @fmf said
    Sex trafficking?
    That's pretty much kidnapping, rape and prostitution all rolled into one. Safe to say that one would be a "sin".
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 15:46
    @vivify said

Perhaps the biggest one:

Drug use. Christians are okay with drinking since even Jesus did so, but not oka ...[text shortened]... iginated a few generations ago. I don't know if anyone still says this, but I've heard this before.
    I have to disagree that the bible omits certain sins. I think they are all covered in the bible. Its just that you have to be able to see the application of the underlying principle rather that the specific case or situation.

Eg In the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus the man was selfish and lacked compassion and ignored the needs of the poor man outside his door. The story can be easily applied to a man in dire need of some wifi to use Facebook or Whatssapp to send a message to he daughter in hospital after an accident. Helping the needy is the principle and its not all about food and clothes.

Abortion is murder. It does not have to be mentioned in the bible. I would imagine that murder is permitted in some cases but Jesus will judge these sins. Drug use is abusing your body with God gave to you. So is alcohol the use of which bible encourages, but not in excess where it causes drunkenness. Same with drugs.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 16:121 edit
    @divegeester said
    Good thread idea. Ok I’ll provide some initial thoughts...

Abortion.
    Someone in the OT was reprimanded by God for “spilling his seed on the ground” (can’t remember without looking it up). While this isn’t abortion it is probably linked to the Catholic creed of not using contraception.

Drug use
    One could quite strongly argue that John was high as a kite when he wr ...[text shortened]... e could, that all the baskets of left over food from the feeding of the thousands was “wasted food”.
    I think many of these sins Jesus only can judge since he knows the heart and intent of man. I think the overall principle is that if someone would sin if they were given the opportunity then they are guilty, as if they had actually committed that sin. Many sins are not actually committed because people dont have a chance to do it but if they could, they would.

Eg. I live in a corrupt political environment where stealing, misallocation of funds, kickbacks and bribery is rampant. On many occasions the topic of discusion is corruption by govt officials, and it does not take long for someone to blurt out - .. anyway if I were in office, I would do the same thing .. . That is a confession of guilt. According to Christ, that person has sinned.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 16:16
    @rajk999 said
    I have to disagree that the bible omits certain sins.
    That's not what I was saying.

I pointed out how there are acts believed to be "sins" by Christians, though there's no actual Biblical basis for it. For example, gambling, or using certain drugs like marijuana.

Abortion is an exception, you can argue that since you're killing a life, that amounts to murder. But then that gets into the "what is a life", "when does life start", "what about rape/incest/health of the mother/etc", which has been done to death.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Mar '21 16:23
    @vivify said
    That's not what I was saying.

I pointed out how there are acts believed to be "sins" by Christians, though there's no actual Biblical basis for it. For example, gambling, or using certain drugs like marijuana.

Abortion is an exception, you can argue that since you're killing a life, that amounts to murder. But then that gets into the "what is a life", "when does life start", "what about rape/incest/health of the mother/etc", which has been done to death.
    Things like gambling and drug use, would fall into the same category as living a life of drunkenness. Alcohol in moderate use is not a sin but drunkenness is a sin. Same with gambling, and drug abuse.

My point is that the bible cannot possible mention all sins, but the principle of what makes it a sin is there.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree