"Sins" that are not in the Bible

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
28 Apr 21

@mike69 said

Why don’t we talk about you?
If you see a Forum Topic here called Rajk999 then feel free to talk about me. The topic we are in is called Spirituality. Lets stick with that.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
28 Apr 21

@mike69 said

In truth All your concerned with is finding things in the Bible you think prove that Gods words are flawed and dishonest along with Christians.
Do you have some examples of this?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
28 Apr 21

@bigdoggproblem said
Good question!

Strangely, the Bible verse seems indifferent as to whether the slave has actually done something wrong, or not. The only insight we get is '[the slave] is [the master's] money'.

It sounds like the Bible thinks I may beat my slave if he causes me financial harm of pretty much any kind.

I think physical assault is an extremely excessive punishment ...[text shortened]... e slave.

I think the very idea of one person owning another person is egregiously, morally wrong.
The bible supports corporal punishment. There is no need to go into details about what punishment is appropriate for what offence. The bible rarely does that. A slave or servant is the property of the master, sometimes for life and sometimes for a specified period.

You are free to make your moral judgments about that but you really cannot do that fairly. We do not live in such a time where every surrounding nation wants you destroyed and these nations were constantly at war. Many slaves were prisoners of war. I would say judging by todays standards they got a good deal. They get to live.

Personally if I lived in those times and I owned agricultural property I would have had a few dozen slaves working for me.

rain

Moves
28 Apr 21
1 edit

@rajk999 said
You are free to make your moral judgments about that but you really cannot do that fairly. We do not live in such a time where every surrounding nation wants you destroyed and these nations were constantly at war. Many slaves were prisoners of war. I would say judging by todays standards they got a good deal. They get to live.
You do realize that the Bible was used in the U.S. to justify slavery, correct? And that supporters of slavery (or those who deny how evil it was) have also claimed U.S. slaves "liked" being slaves or weren't treated "that bad" right?

If God is allegedly so moral that he'll throw people into an eternal hellfire for "sin", why isn't he moral enough to denounce slavery?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
28 Apr 21

@rajk999 said
The bible supports corporal punishment. There is no need to go into details about what punishment is appropriate for what offence. The bible rarely does that. A slave or servant is the property of the master, sometimes for life and sometimes for a specified period.

You are free to make your moral judgments about that but you really cannot do that fairly. We do not live ...[text shortened]... in those times and I owned agricultural property I would have had a few dozen slaves working for me.
"There is no need to go into details about what punishment is appropriate for what offence."

Have you thought this through?

Seems like an asinine statement, to me.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
28 Apr 21
2 edits

@vivify said
You do realize that the Bible was used in the U.S. to justify slavery, correct? And that supporters of slavery (or those who deny how evil it was) have also claimed U.S. slaves "liked" being slaves or weren't treated "that bad" right?

If God is allegedly so moral that he'll throw people into an eternal hellfire for "sin", why isn't he moral enough to denounce slavery?
Nothing there makes sense to me as Im not an American so I care nothing for the US Govt and what they do. People use any holy book to justify just about any deed. That does not make the holy book wrong or immoral.

Let me repeat. Slavery in the time of the Jews was justified on the grounds that these were mostly pows, who wanted the Jews annihilated. Instead of killing them in war, God told the Jews to capture them and use then for work and other things. There are rules to follow and the core rule was to be fair to the slaves ie treat them well, release them after a while etc.

Personally I think the bible teaching was fair. What the US Govt [or anyone else for that matter] did is of no interest to me, neither does it make the bible teaching on this matter immoral.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
28 Apr 21

@bigdoggproblem said
"There is no need to go into details about what punishment is appropriate for what offence."

Have you thought this through?

Seems like an asinine statement, to me.
Yes. I thought it through. I said .. The bible supports corporal punishment. There is no need to go into details about what punishment is appropriate for what offence.

If that bible had to go through every detail of what could transpire to require punishment then it would be a cumbersome book.

God requires masters to be fair and just to their slaves, because masters also have a master in heaven who will judge their actions.

rain

Moves
30 Apr 21
1 edit

@rajk999 said
God requires masters to be fair and just to their slaves, because masters also have a master in heaven who will judge their actions.
That is logically impossible. There is no way to be "fair and just" to someone you are actively enslaving.

This reminds me of Ariel Castro, who chained 3 girls in his basement against their will for 10 years, and told the police he always treated them well.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Apr 21
1 edit

@vivify said
That is logically impossible. There is no way to be "fair and just" to someone you are actively enslaving.

This reminds me of Ariel Castro, who chained 3 girls in his basement against their will for 10 years, and told the police he always treated them well.
What utter BS, and what does that have to do with the bible. In the bible people who became slaves did something WRONG, deserving DEATH or severe punishment. Insead of death or severe punishment which had no real value, they had to work until their wrongdoing was canceled. This is fair and just.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Apr 21

@rajk999 said
What utter BS, and what does that have to do with the bible. In the bible people who became slaves did something WRONG, deserving DEATH or severe punishment. Insead of death or severe punishment which had no real value, they had to work until their wrongdoing was canceled. This is fair and just.
That's not true. Captives obtained through warfare became slaves.

rain

Moves
30 Apr 21

@rajk999 said
This is false. The bible explicitly states that the Israelites can't make slaves out of their own people (Leviticus 25:42). Slaves were prisoners of war, not criminals.

There is absolutely nothing "fair" or "just" about enslaving people.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Apr 21

I think the bible also has rules for financial bondage, where the poor are able to sell themselves into slavery. Hard to argue that they did something deserving of punishment.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Apr 21

@avalanchethecat said
That's not true. Captives obtained through warfare became slaves.
I said that already.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Apr 21

@vivify said
This is false. The bible explicitly states that the Israelites can't make slaves out of their own people (Leviticus 25:42). Slaves were prisoners of war, not criminals.

There is absolutely nothing "fair" or "just" about enslaving people.
Yes there is.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Apr 21
1 edit

@avalanchethecat said
I think the bible also has rules for financial bondage, where the poor are able to sell themselves into slavery. Hard to argue that they did something deserving of punishment.
Yes. They incurred debts which they could not repay. I wont assume they were all poor.