"Sins" that are not in the Bible

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Apr 21

@rajk999 said
Yes. They incurred debts which they could not repay. I wont assume they were all poor.
Slavery is an odious institution which should be condemned by all right-thinking persons. There is no reasonable argument to the contrary.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Apr 21

@rajk999 said
I said that already.
You said that slaves were people who had done something wrong, deserving of death or punishment. Do you argue that the civilian populace of defeated city-states were such?

rain

Moves
30 Apr 21

@avalanchethecat said
I think the bible also has rules for financial bondage, where the poor are able to sell themselves into slavery. Hard to argue that they did something deserving of punishment.
Leviticus 25:39:

"If any of your fellow Israelites become poor and sell themselves to you, do not make them work as slaves."

rain

Moves
30 Apr 21

@rajk999 said
Yes. They incurred debts which they could not repay. I wont assume they were all poor.
This is the second post in a row where you stated something false about the bible you claim to know about.

Even if they incurred debts, slavery wasn't allowed as a punishment.

So both of your "justifications" for slavery (criminality, debt) were both on falsehoods. Therefore, your claim that the treatment of slaves in the Bible as "just" is just as fallacious (and immoral).

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Apr 21

@avalanchethecat said
Slavery is an odious institution which should be condemned by all right-thinking persons. There is no reasonable argument to the contrary.
I did that already. I condemned the type of slavery practiced by modern man a couple hundred years ago. I do not condemn the type of slavery condoned by God in which the master must treat his slaves justly. They are two distinct types of institutions. The fact that you and others cannot see that and constantly try to equate them means that something is amiss with your ability differentiate different shades of gray. Go fix that.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Apr 21

@vivify said
This is the second post in a row where you stated something false about the bible you claim to know about.

So both of your "justifications" for slavery (criminality, debt) were both on falsehoods. Therefore, your claim that the treatment of slaves in the Bible as "just" is just as fallacious (and immoral).
Let me check some references and get back to you. Dont get your panties in a twist.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Apr 21

@rajk999 said
I did that already. I condemned the type of slavery practiced by modern man a couple hundred years ago. I do not condemn the type of slavery condoned by God in which the master must treat his slaves justly. They are two distinct types of institutions. The fact that you and others cannot see that and constantly try to equate them means that something is amiss with your ability differentiate different shades of gray. Go fix that.
Slavery is the owning of one man by another. That you argue to justify it degrades you.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Apr 21

@avalanchethecat said
Slavery is the owning of one man by another. That you argue to justify it degrades you.
Im in good company. Worry about yourself.

rain

Moves
30 Apr 21
1 edit

@rajk999 said
Dont get your panties in a twist.
Hmm, I wonder if that's considered a "sin" too.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Apr 21

@rajk999 said
Im in good company. Worry about yourself.
Hmm, did you think I was worrying about you?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
01 May 21
1 edit

@vivify said
This is false. The bible explicitly states that the Israelites can't make slaves out of their own people (Leviticus 25:42). Slaves were prisoners of war, not criminals.

There is absolutely nothing "fair" or "just" about enslaving people.
Quoting a single passage out of context is the surest way to misunderstanding.

If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing. (Exodus 21:2 KJV)

The bible does not use the word slave, and there are rules on how to treat Jewish servants who are bought. Jews were allowed to buy other Jews as servants and there are rules to follow.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
01 May 21

@vivify said
Leviticus 25:39:

"If any of your fellow Israelites become poor and sell themselves to you, do not make them work as slaves."
Read a bit more instead of cherry picking. They can work as servants for 6 years and set free in the 7th. The bible does not use the word slave. Changing the wording of the bible leads to false doctrines.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
01 May 21

@vivify said

Debt Slavery in Ancient Israel

The first two laws in the Covenant Code deal with debt slavery,[3] an institution in which a person who is extremely poor or in debt can sell himself into bondage for a certain amount of time to pay off his debts or to achieve basic subsistence.

A man can be sold into slavery for up to 6 years; he cannot be acquired permanently unless he chooses to do so (Exodus 21:2-6).
A man in debt (or poverty) may sell his daughter to another man, but only if the purchaser agrees to take her as a wife, not as a slave (Exodus 21:7-11).

https://www.thetorah.com/article/the-bibles-evolving-effort-to-humanize-debt-slavery

rain

Moves
01 May 21
1 edit

@rajk999 said
Quoting a single passage out of context is the surest way to misunderstanding.

If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing. (Exodus 21:2 KJV)

The bible does not use the word slave, and there are rules on how to treat Jewish servants who are bought. Jews were allowed to buy other Jews as servants and there are rules to follow.
You (falsely) accuse me of quoting a passage out of context, then quote a passage out of context.

Leviticus 25:42-44:

42 Because the Israelites are my servants, whom I brought out of Egypt, they must not be sold as slaves. 43 Do not rule over them ruthlessly, but fear your God.

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

You have no argument. The Bible clearly denounces slavery for Israelites, but allows foreigners to be slaves. This is why the word "slave" wasn't used in your passage.

So your claim that slavery was used to punish criminals is flat out false and your twisting biblical passages just to win an internet argument. Shows how much you value your own religion.

The matter is closed. There is no "fair and just" way to have slavery, despite your attempts to defend it.

rain

Moves
01 May 21

@rajk999 said
Read a bit more instead of cherry picking. They can work as servants for 6 years and set free in the 7th. The bible does not use the word slave. Changing the wording of the bible leads to false doctrines.
Yes, they can be servants. Not slaves.

Discussion over.