1. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 06:22
    Sorry. Are you just trying to figure out and describe what actually goes into the ego? Exterior and interior influences.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 07:071 edit
    @mike69 said
    Sorry. Are you just trying to figure out and describe what actually goes into the ego? Exterior and interior influences.
    Are you just trying to figure out and describe what actually goes into the ego?

No.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 09:29
    @fmf said
    @FMF
    Or is it the id responsible for morally unsound acts?
    I would say it more boils down to a malfunctioning ego (Freud's ego). Ego is meant to be a mediator between the id and the conscious mind, and by allowing the id a greater rein in the acts it allows, the ego is not mediating as it should.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 09:31
    @mike69 said
    It's okay (and requires no comment) if you don't understand the question as posed.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 09:331 edit
    @fmf said

These things shift and adapt over time, even if we may not be very different, at our essence, at 20 than we are at 40.
    I am a vastly different person at (or after) 40 than I was at 20.

This is the ultimate goal of a life well-lived, growth as an autonomous, fully-realized person.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 09:471 edit
    @suzianne said

This is the ultimate goal of a life well-lived, growth as an autonomous, fully-realized person.
    I have had an interesting and eventful life - one that I feel has been well-lived - that has educated, molded and changed me considerably but my core moral compass was prettly well set by the age of 20 and has been resilient and consistent ever since.
  7. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 13:091 edit
    @divegeester said
    Have a scan through this

Thread 196081
    Totally agree with you - make it for all forums.
  8. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 13:18
    @fmf said
    On this thread, by "ego" I do not mean pride or big-headedness.

By "ego" I mean ... “the part of the mind that mediates between the conscious and the unconscious and is responsible for reality testing and a sense of personal identity”. [Not my own definition.]

Meanwhile, the "id" is ... "the part of the mind in which innate instinctive impulses and primary processes are manifest."[Again, not my own definition.]
    The only thing I’ve read to do with the Id was a cartoon strip called the Wizard of ID

It sounds a bit like the subconcious?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 13:35
    @medullah
    The "id" is ... "the part of the mind in which innate instinctive impulses and primary processes are manifest."[Not my own definition.]

Perhaps this corresponds to what theists refer to as the "soul"?
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 14:511 edit
    @fmf said
    @medullah
    The "id" is ... "the part of the mind in which innate instinctive impulses and primary processes are manifest."[Not my own definition.]

Perhaps this corresponds to what theists refer to as the "soul"?
    Freud's "id" is the more base, "animal" part of our brain.

I think the soul elevates us from the animals, not making us more like them.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 15:28
    @suzianne said

I think you are understating the difference between humans and other animals. According to Freud, "...the id is the source of all psychic energy, making it the primary component of personality and present from birth..." like the "soul" supposedly is [not my words].
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 15:43
    @suzianne said

@suzianne,
    Then when you hit 60 you will be different again.

-VR
  13. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 17:22
    @suzianne said
    It's okay (and requires no comment) if you don't understand the question as posed.
    I understand it as FMF knew, hence his one word answer showing no interest in debating it. Would you care to, please explain your understanding of the subject.
  14. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 18:06
    @suzianne said

Please explain the base animal part or our brain.

Please explain your understanding here.
  15. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 18:23
    @suzianne said

Now analyze your idea of this completeness and how you got to where you are now along with at the other stages of life mentioned. Do you see how your consciousness in both these directions has formed your Id and it doesn’t necessarily mean in a good way. Be truthful within, how complete are you really In the Word. You are how you’ve made sense of the world, Bible, and life and found a way to live in happiness with yourself and likeminded and not with all your fellow humans. May the next stage fill your real soul with real wisdom, knowledge, and the ability to use it correctly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree