1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 08:031 edit
    What is the relationship between one's ego and one's moral compass?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 08:08
    @FMF
    Or is it the id responsible for morally unsound acts?
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Mar '23 15:33
    That's too simplistic. A lot goes into "morally unsound" acts, like culture, poverty level, mental health, etc., which also factor into what even defines "morally unsound" .
  4. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    30 Mar '23 17:54
    @vivify said
    That's too simplistic. A lot goes into "morally unsound" acts, like culture, poverty level, mental health, etc., which also factor into what even defines "morally unsound" .
    And the larger group that doesn’t fit into your mindset.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '23 21:361 edit
    @vivify said
    No one would dispute that "a lot goes into" what external factors shape the perception and definition of what is morally sound and what is morally unsound in the interactions between people.

These things have been discussed here many times and there is no suggestion that they should be ignored.

Asking a different specific question in this instance ~ about the relationship between the ego and the id ~ is not "too simplistic". It's simply a specific aspect of the issue, that's all.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '23 21:46
    @mike69 said
    And the larger group that doesn’t fit into your mindset.
    When your or my mindset ~ our own moral compasses ~ do not "fit" with the "larger group" then differences in terms of what you and I, and they, hold to be right and wrong and "moral" and "immoral", if they become serious disagreements or conflicts, will then manifest themselves in legal and judicial ways. That is why people are sometimes sanctioned for matters of conscience.
  7. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    30 Mar '23 21:54
    @FMF
    And when the accepted compass is moved?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '23 22:28
    @mike69 said
    @FMF
    What do you mean by "moved"? Everyone's moral compass is unique and it develops as we grow and experience things in life; the perceptions and dispositions and decisions it's responsible for are an almost definitive component of each person's character and identity.

These things shift and adapt over time, even if we may not be very different, at our essence, at 20 than we are at 40.

What do you mean, specifically, by a moral compass being "moved"?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '23 22:35

Removed by poster

10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '23 23:52
    @mike69 said
    @FMF
    I just read your question again and saw it in a different light. By "accepted" do you been "accepted by the larger group"?

If so, could you give an example or two of what "moved" means?

Remember, for me a moral compass is a personal attribute, function, facility etc.

A nation or a group of people doesn't have what I see as a moral compass. They will have shared values or laws or traditions, but moral compasses belong to individuals who use them to govern their interactions with others.

moral compass = an individual's conscience.

A group of people does not have "a conscience".
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Apr '23 19:22
    @fmf said
    I just read your question again and saw it in a different light. By "accepted" do you been "accepted by the larger group"?

If so, could you give an example or two of what "moved" means?

Remember, for me a moral compass is a personal attribute, function, facility etc.

A nation or a group of people doesn't have what I see as a moral compass. They will have shared values ...[text shortened]...

moral compass = an individual's conscience.

A group of people does not have "a conscience".
    fmf,
    Are you working on trying to sound intelligent? It just doesn't seem to be working for you. 🙂

-VR
  12. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 00:19
    @fmf said
    What is the relationship between one's ego and one's moral compass?
    I don’t understand the six red thumbs on this one?

If you are puffed up with pride (big ego) you will respond differently from a person who is humble?

Isn’t that the point of Ezekiel when satan is exposed as a renegade cherub where his pride (ego) has caused his own downfall .

You guys are just being mean for the sake of it - this was a perfectly legit question.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 04:29
    @medullah said
    I don’t understand the six red thumbs on this one?
    Have a scan through this

Thread 196081
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 06:04
    @medullah said
    Isn’t that the point of Ezekiel when satan is exposed as a renegade cherub where his pride (ego) has caused his own downfall .
    On this thread, by "ego" I do not mean pride or big-headedness.

By "ego" I mean ... “the part of the mind that mediates between the conscious and the unconscious and is responsible for reality testing and a sense of personal identity”. [Not my own definition.]

Meanwhile, the "id" is ... "the part of the mind in which innate instinctive impulses and primary processes are manifest."[Again, not my own definition.]
  15. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    02 Apr '23 06:20
    @fmf said
    On this thread, by "ego" I do not mean pride or big-headedness.

By "ego" I mean ... “the part of the mind that mediates between the conscious and the unconscious and is responsible for reality testing and a sense of personal identity”. [Not my own definition.]

Meanwhile, the "id" is ... "the part of the mind in which innate instinctive impulses and primary processes are manifest."[Again, not my own definition.]

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree