Coercion and deterrence and assertions

Coercion and deterrence and assertions

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
05 Jan 22

@fmf said
Being "told" by someone to "believe something", the existence of which cannot be proven, does not alter the fact it is essentially being hidden from those who don't believe what that "someone" claimed was true.
If God tells you something are you going to believe it?

God is the final authority. You can question God's created all day long, but don't believe a word they say.

God isn't "hiding" anything, and if He does, well, that's His prerogative.

But God certainly isn't hiding Jesus under a basket. Jesus is hanging on a cross in full view of the whole world.

Jesus is the way of escape from death.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
05 Jan 22

@josephw

Oop! Bathroom break time.

F

Moves
05 Jan 22

@josephw said

God is the final authority. You can question God's created all day long, but don't believe a word they say.

But God certainly isn't hiding Jesus under a basket. Jesus is hanging on a cross in full view of the whole world.

In terms of your rhetoric, you seem to be channeling Dasa.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
05 Jan 22

@josephw said

I'd certainly be inclined to believe something that god told me. Did god tell you to believe in him, josephw?

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
05 Jan 22

@fmf said
In terms of your rhetoric, you seem to be channeling Dasa.
Dasa wasn't, or isn't a Christian.

I merely used simple words to describe the scriptural concepts with regards to what you posted about in your post I replied to.

And now you're deflecting away from it with your usual tactic.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Jan 22

@josephw

Just to let you know -
Dasa is FMF's favorite person to compare people with.

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
05 Jan 22

@fmf said
If supernatural punishment meted out by a creator entity to people after they die was a reality...

and the threat of it was intended as some kind of blend of coercion and deterrence [or warning]...

what would be the moral purpose of essentially keeping this reality hidden from those still alive ~ aside from unprovable assertions made by people reciting religious dogma?

Where is the "divine" and moral logic in this arrangement?
Interesting point which I agree with. It would be pointless.

The threat of a big stick without even knowing that there is a big stick?

Are you thinking in terms of eternal punishment for the dead, that kind of thing? In don't personally believe in the eternal torment stuff.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
05 Jan 22

@avalanchethecat said
I'd certainly be inclined to believe something that god told me. Did god tell you to believe in him, josephw?
I believe whatever God tells me.

I've got the edge on whoever denies God's existence.

That belief sticks in the craw of the disbeliever.

But isn't that the reason for all these debates?

Naysayer vs believer. Forever and always the crux of the matter.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
05 Jan 22

@sonship said
@josephw

Just to let you know -
Dasa is FMF's favorite person to compare people with.
Dasa was probably the most prolific of the delusional.

Hence FMF's favorite method for denigrating and deflecting away from the challenge of addressing simple concepts expressed against his obfuscations of the same.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
05 Jan 22

@medullah said
Interesting point which I agree with. It would be pointless.

The threat of a big stick without even knowing that there is a big stick?

Are you thinking in terms of eternal punishment for the dead, that kind of thing? In don't personally believe in the eternal torment stuff.
That's your right to not believe in eternal punishment.

Let no mere mortal judge you for your beliefs.

All I can say is that you should be certain that your belief isn't only based on personal conviction.

Christians have as a final authority an external object upon which they base their beliefs.

The disbeliever has only Himself. He claims there's no evidence for the existence of a creator.

Personally I find that belief self deceiving.

Moves
05 Jan 22

I am as certain about you being wrong as you are that I am wrong. The creator God stands at the apex of creation and knows that not a blade of grass sways in the wind or a cow releases wind without the express intention of his will. He is deluded in that way like all the creator Gods in all the universes in existence. And so it goes...

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Jan 22

@fmf said
Being "told" by someone to "believe something", the existence of which cannot be proven, does not alter the fact it is essentially being hidden from those who don't believe what that "someone" claimed was true.
Have you opened a Holy Bible?

Why are you relying on other people to tell you about the afterlife?

Why not open a Holy Bible, read it and sincerely ask God to enlighten you about what you don’t understand?

Isn’t that a wiser course than relying on fallible men to tell you about the afterlife when they’ve never been there?

Why not go to the Source?

Moves
05 Jan 22

@PB1022 Which one? Is there a list of readings that you approve? Will you read my list or only your own? Why should your judgement be preferred over others? What if you are wrong?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Jan 22

@josephw said

<<But God certainly isn't hiding Jesus under a basket. Jesus is hanging on a cross in full view of the whole world.>>

He’s no longer on the cross. That’s why I don’t like crucifixes.

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
05 Jan 22

Well we do seem to have slipped well and truly into God and Bible mode, so if we are talking in terms of Hell the bible doesn't support eternal torment if that's the general direction/theme.