Coercion and deterrence and assertions

Coercion and deterrence and assertions

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
05 Jan 22

If supernatural punishment meted out by a creator entity to people after they die was a reality...

and the threat of it was intended as some kind of blend of coercion and deterrence [or warning]...

what would be the moral purpose of essentially keeping this reality hidden from those still alive ~ aside from unprovable assertions made by people reciting religious dogma?

Where is the "divine" and moral logic in this arrangement?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
05 Jan 22

@fmf said
If supernatural punishment meted out by a creator entity to people after they die was a reality...

and the threat of it was intended as some kind of blend of coercion and deterrence [or warning]...

what would be the moral purpose of essentially keeping this reality hidden from those still alive ~ aside from unprovable assertions made by people reciting religious dogma?

Exactly who is doing this "hiding" of this information?

Refusing to believe something you've been told doesn't mean it's being "hidden" from you.

F

Moves
05 Jan 22
1 edit

@suzianne said

It'd be the creator entity supposedly meting out the supernatural punishment. Nobody living has seen any proof that these threats are about something real.

Refusing to believe something you've been told doesn't mean it's being "hidden" from you.

Told by whom?

People can't be expected to simply "believe something" because of assertions citing religious dogma.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Jan 22

@suzianne said

Do you believe everything you have been told Suzianne?

F

Moves
05 Jan 22

@divegeester said
What's also interesting about the idea that there is some imperative to "believe something" that one is "told" by religionists is that what I am being "told" about supernatural punishment by, say, sonship is totally different from what I am being "told" about supernatural punishment by, say, Suzianne.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Jan 22
1 edit

@fmf said

The teaching of eternal suffering and all the convoluted incoherent ideological nonsense which goes along with it is, in my opinion, one of the biggest barriers to people opening up to the idea of the existence of a loving god.

If people are indeed going to go into this imaginary torture chamber of eternal flames, it is primarily because of propagation of the idea of an eternal torture chamber of eternal flames.

F

Moves
05 Jan 22

@divegeester said
The teaching of eternal suffering and all the convoluted incoherent ideological nonsense which goes along with it is, in my opinion, one of the biggest barriers to people opening up to the idea of the existence of a loving god.

If people are indeed going to go into this imaginary torture chamber of eternal flames, it is primarily because of propagation of the idea of an eternal torture chamber of eternal flames.
The moral incoherence, it must be said, is alienating [to put it mildly] and it taints all other messages and assertions that come in its wake.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Jan 22
2 edits

@fmf said
The moral incoherence, it must be said, is alienating [to put it mildly] and it taints all other messages and assertions that come in its wake.
Elsewhere I have asserted my opinion on an alternative, and I’ll repeat it here:

- Prior to calvary there was a less than perfect destination for mankind “represented” by hell and lakes of fire
- at Calvary Jesus Is described as descending into the hellish place, overcoming it and picking up the keys - metaphorical images.
- therefore hell (such as whatever it was) is done away with.
- Christ died for ALL. ALL sins are paid for. Mankind is bought with a price and redeemed.
- salvation is worked out here on Earth, through faith.
- falling away, backsliding may have consequences but that consequence cannot be hell as it’s been done away with.
- THIS is the good news, it’s wonderful.
- people can experience this eternal salvation now today in this life through faith.
- to it is totally simple, morally coherent and importantly it is a transferable message to those seeking.

This is my belief, my interpretation of scripture, my opinion of how a loving creator has rescued his creation from the grip of extinction.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
05 Jan 22

@fmf said

It'd be the creator entity supposedly meting out the supernatural punishment. Nobody living has seen any proof that these threats are about something real.

Told by whom?

People can't be expected to simply "believe something" because of assertions citing religious dogma.
But to your point, is it really being "hidden"?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
05 Jan 22

@divegeester said
That's not his point.

He's complaining that such info is being somehow "hidden" from him.

F

Moves
05 Jan 22

@suzianne said
But to your point, is it really being "hidden"?
Yes.

There is no evidence that it is real.

Assertions by religious people are not evidence.

Their certainty and earnestness do not lend any weight to their assertions.

Whether the supernatural punishment [exacted on the dead] is real or not is, for all intents and purposes, kept secret from those still living.

F

Moves
05 Jan 22

@suzianne said
He's complaining that such info is being somehow "hidden" from him.
Being "told" by someone to "believe something", the existence of which cannot be proven, does not alter the fact it is essentially being hidden from those who don't believe what that "someone" claimed was true.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
05 Jan 22

@fmf said

Your premise is flawed.

"Everlasting destruction" isn't a theory to be philosophically debated by the created.

Eternal separation from the life of God is a clear and unequivocal doctrine taught by Jesus, and clearly elaborated and collaborated on by the entire bible.

The scriptures are the final authority and the sole source of knowledge concerning eternal damnation and punishment.

Provision has been made for all to escape death.

F

Moves
05 Jan 22

@josephw said
Your premise is flawed.

"Everlasting destruction" isn't a theory to be philosophically debated by the created.

Eternal separation from the life of God is a clear and unequivocal doctrine taught by Jesus, and clearly elaborated and collaborated on by the entire bible.

The scriptures are the final authority and the sole source of knowledge concerning eternal damnation and punishment.

Provision has been made for all to escape death.
Thank you for the five assertions you have made here. Rather than addressing my OP, though, you seem to have simply illustrated what I am talking about instead.

F

Moves
05 Jan 22

@josephw said
If this is what you believe, then feel free to not debate it.