Coercion and deterrence and assertions

Coercion and deterrence and assertions

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 22

@fmf said
Take it to the Science Forum, spanky!
If the theory of evolution were science - and not the atheists’ pantheistic religion - I would, skipper!

F

Moves
06 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
If the theory of evolution were science - and not the atheists’ pantheistic religion - I would, skipper!
Tell the folks on the Science Forum that you've got some very, very strong opinions about evolution and the fossil record, and while you're at it maybe you can ask them to tell you what trilobites are.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 22

@fmf said
Tell the folks on the Science Forum that you've got some very, very strong opinions about evolution and the fossil record, and while you're at it maybe you can ask them to tell you what trilobites are.
You don’t need to know what trilobites are to know the theory of evolution is a fairy tale. Does this website have a forum for fairy tales? Maybe I could discuss it over there.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Jan 22
1 edit

@fmf said
What's also interesting about the idea that there is some imperative to "believe something" that one is "told" by religionists is that what I am being "told" about supernatural punishment by, say, sonship is totally different from what I am being "told" about supernatural punishment by, say, Suzianne.
The thing is, if you are going to judge truth by the person you are hearing it from, it isn't the truth that matters to you but the messenger, a bit of a pride thing.

1 Corinthians 1:19-21
English Standard Version
For it is written,

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.”

Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.

Moves
06 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
The thing is, if you are going to judge truth by the person you are hearing it from, it isn't the truth that matters to you but the messenger, a bit of a pride thing.
Why do you think he lives in Indonesia now, instead of Cantabridgia?

F

Moves
06 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
The Bible was created by people making assertions about [and through] the messages about supernatural things that it contains. Nobody living has seen any proof that the threat of divine punishment ~ that Christians believe in because their literature tells them it is true ~ is actually something real.

F

Moves
06 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
1 Corinthians 1:19-21
English Standard Version
For it is written,

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.”
More people telling me supernatural stuff they are unable to establish as being true.

F

Moves
06 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.
This is evidence of nothing other than what your beliefs are.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Jan 22

@fmf said
More people telling me supernatural stuff they are unable to establish as being true.
Truth isn't tricky to figure out, as long as you don't put blinders on to avoid seeing it.

Moves
06 Jan 22

@fmf said
If only the greeting-card industry had occurred earlier.

F

Moves
06 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
Truth isn't tricky to figure out, as long as you don't put blinders on to avoid seeing it.
More assertions. Perhaps you do not understand what this thread topic is about.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 22

@fmf said
The Bible was created by people making assertions about [and through] the messages about supernatural things that it contains. Nobody living has seen any proof that the threat of divine punishment ~ that Christians believe in because their literature tells them it is true ~ is actually something real.
<<Nobody living has seen any proof that the threat of divine punishment ~ that Christians believe in because their literature tells them it is true ~ is actually something real.>>

I take it you don’t believe NDEs?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 22

@fmf said
If other statements and assertions in the Holy Bible are true, why wouldn’t you trust what it says about divine punishment?

F

Moves
06 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
If other statements and assertions in the Holy Bible are true, why wouldn’t you trust what it says about divine punishment?
The Holy Bible is little more than some people telling some other people that some stuff they believe about supernatural things is true.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Jan 22
2 edits

@fmf said
More assertions. Perhaps you do not understand what this thread topic is about.
That is the thing about people; the only thing we can do is acknowledge the truth when we see it, declare it to others with what we think, by making assertions. For example, if you believe in a common ancestor through evolution, even if true, the declaration is still just an assertion; if false, it is still just an assertion.

If your truth detector is set up to look at anything said to see assertions are being made, you will never be without things to set assertion finder alarm bells off.