Brunei's new laws

Brunei's new laws

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
06 Apr 19

@fmf said
A wide range of immoral acts are illegal and incur punishments and this deters people from doing such things. Doesn't that rather undermine the idea that "morality cannot be legislated"?
I think you have a skewed perspective relative to what "deters" people from committing immoral acts.

After all, God said " thou shalt not commit adultery", but that doesn't stop some people, a lot of people, from doing it.

Obedience to a moral code of conduct is fundamentally based on the love of, and for, the moral law giver. Fear of reprisal is a motivator for the unjust, but for the justified the prime motivator is gratitude and love for the one whose love, for us, has no equal.

Moves
06 Apr 19

Come on Dive show some balls for once.

F

Moves
06 Apr 19

@secondson said
I think you have a skewed perspective relative to what "deters" people from committing immoral acts.
I think it is, first and foremost, embrace of the shared benefits of morally sound behaviour. Credible threats of retribution, if one falters, hammer observerance home.

F

Moves
06 Apr 19

@secondson said
Obedience to a moral code of conduct is fundamentally based on the love of, and for, the moral law giver.
Belief in "the love of, and for, the moral law giver" contribures, sure, but this is not evidence of there actually being a god or gods.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Apr 19

@fmf said
I am sure he was a lovely man.

Something from him and someone highly skilled in art work.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Apr 19

@secondson said
Obedience to a moral code of conduct is fundamentally based on the love of, and for, the moral law giver.
That is completely and utterly wrong.

If it were true why would there be a disproportionate
amount of theists in prison compared to atheists?

Atheists are more moral and more law-abiding.

Moves
06 Apr 19

@wolfgang59 said

Whose thumb did you suck those stats out of?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Apr 19

@dj2becker said
Whose thumb did you suck those stats out of?
They are easily available and have been posted on this forum many times.

If you dont believe me do your own research.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Apr 19

@wolfgang59 said

By whose standards their own?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Apr 19

@kellyjay said
By whose standards their own?
By the standards of society and the legislature which makes the laws they break.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Apr 19

@wolfgang59 said
By the standards of society and the legislature which makes the laws they break.
Okay, back tracking this conversation to earlier posts, your right.

F

Moves
07 Apr 19

@secondson said
Obedience to a moral code of conduct is fundamentally based on the love of, and for, the moral law giver. Fear of reprisal is a motivator for the unjust, but for the justified the prime motivator is gratitude and love for the one whose love, for us, has no equal.
The "fear of reprisal" thing doesn't work on people who don't believe that there is anything real to justify or instil the "fear". That's why the threats of being 'tormented in burning flames for eternity' are morally incoherent with regard to non-Christians and other non-believers. There is no threat of "eternal torment" or "love" of a supernatural being that's motivating me to a morally sound person.

Moves
07 Apr 19

@wolfgang59 said
They are easily available and have been posted on this forum many times.

If you dont believe me do your own research.
Do the stats reflect how many turned to theism after entering prison?

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
07 Apr 19
1 edit

@dj2becker said
I believe God ultimately dictates good and evil. Does your belief in God not influence in any way how you differentiate between right and wrong?
The question you seem to be unable to answer is why you think the execution of homosexuals is morally wrong.

Telling me Jesus said “he who casts the first stone” at Mary is you using a cowards escape from facing up to the fact that adultery is still a sin and Jesus didn’t say it wasn’t, nor did he say executing her was morally wrong.

I’m not asking you to “throw the first stone”, I’m not asking you to legitimise homosexuality, I’m not asking you to claim you personally are without sin, I’m asking you a straightforward question if executing homosexuals for being homosexuals is morally wrong.

And you can’t give a straight answer.
Like sonship won’t give straight answers
Like Galveston75 won’t give straight answers
Like KellyJay won’t give straight answers

What’s the common theme...intellectual dishonesty.

Moves
07 Apr 19
2 edits

@divegeester said
The question you seem to be unable to answer is why you think the execution of homosexuals is morally wrong.

Telling me Jesus said “he who casts the first stone” at Mary is you using a cowards escape from facing up to the fact that adultery is still a sin and Jesus didn’t say it wasn’t, nor did he say executing her was morally wrong.

I’m not asking you to “throw t ...[text shortened]... rs
Like KellyJay won’t give straight answers

What’s the common theme...intellectual dishonesty.
What do you believe the ‘straight answer’ should be that we all supposedly don’t have the intellectual honesty to acknowledge?

I still notice that you haven’t answered a single question.