Assertions about The Unknowable God

Assertions about The Unknowable God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
26 Jan 23

@fmf said
No, it isn't a mistake. Cognition means thoughts and thinking and it gives rise to things like aspirations. Faith is thoughts/thinking and opinions and aspirations. Faith is a function of cognition.
Faith is a function of the spirit, the thing you deny or don't know exists, therefore "cognitive function" is your default position.

F

Moves
26 Jan 23

@josephw said
You're missing some vital information. God needs nothing from man. Man has nothing to give to God.
Your God figure "needs" faith from men. Your God figure "needs" obedience from men. Your God figure "needs" repentance from men. Your God figure "needs" worship from men. Your God figure "needs" love from men. Your God figure "needs" this that and the other.

F

Moves
26 Jan 23

@josephw said
Faith is a function of the spirit, the thing you deny or don't know exists, therefore "cognitive function" is your default position.
Faith is a set of interlocking opinions about the universe, about its creator, and about the believers themselves. These opinions, speculations, observations, and deductions originate in the brain.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
26 Jan 23

@fmf said
Religions are defined by their scriptures ~ and religious beliefs are defined by the narratives laid out in those scriptures. These narratives result in specific beliefs about the God figures at the centre of those religions. The same goes for Christianity. To try to argue that Christianity - and the beliefs attendant thereto - are somehow not a religion is weak and strange.
"Religion" is defined by its practice.

The thing that is "weak and strange" is your insistence in defining the terms based on the narratives found in the very books you deny have Devine origin.

Is it you that defines God? Or is it you that God defines?

Again you must fall to the default position based on the fact that you don't really know for certain what you're talking about, yet you'll continue to argue from that position.

F

Moves
26 Jan 23

@josephw said
"Religion" is defined by its practice.
"Religion" is defined by the tenets of its belief system and the perceived identity of the God figure its believers worship.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
26 Jan 23

@fmf said
Faith is a set of interlocking opinions about the universe, about its creator, and about the believers themselves. These opinions, speculations, observations, and deductions originate in the brain.
Faith is...not what you think it is.

F

Moves
26 Jan 23

@josephw said
The thing that is "weak and strange" is your insistence in defining the terms based on the narratives found in the very books you deny have Devine origin.
Your religion is a set of beliefs based on the content of the Bible.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
26 Jan 23

@fmf said
"Religion" is defined by the tenets of its belief system and the perceived identity of the God figure its believers worship.
"Religion" is what man does when he lacks faith in God.

F

Moves
26 Jan 23

@josephw said
Again you must fall to the default position based on the fact that you don't really know for certain what you're talking about, yet you'll continue to argue from that position.
If your latest 'debating point' is that you don't think I know what I am talking about, then so be it.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
26 Jan 23

@fmf said
Your religion is a set of beliefs based on the content of the Bible.
My faith is based on the revealed word of God found in the Bible.

I have no religion.

F

Moves
26 Jan 23

@josephw said
"Religion" is what man does when he lacks faith in God.
No, you have it wrong. "Religion" is when a group of people have faith in the same God figure based on the teachings in their scriptures.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
26 Jan 23

@fmf said
If your latest 'debating point' is that you don't think I know what I am talking about, then so be it.
Don't post like a hypocrite. You don't think I know what I'm talking about either.

F

Moves
26 Jan 23

@josephw said
My faith is based on the revealed word of God found in the Bible.

I have no religion.
Your belief that "the revealed word of God found in the Bible" is the central tenet of your religion and just stating something like that is the very essence of faith and religious belief.

F

Moves
26 Jan 23
1 edit

@josephw said
Don't post like a hypocrite. You don't think I know what I'm talking about either.
You are using the word "hypocrite" incorrectly. I have experiential knowledge of life-changing faith. Having had faith and having lost faith, and having spent 40+ years conversing with people who have always had faith, people who have lost faith, and people who have gained faith, I probably have keener insights into the nature of faith than you do.

F

Moves
26 Jan 23

@josephw said
Faith is...not what you think it is.
Do you believe your faith causes a supernatural transformation in you that enables you to know that your Christian faith and beliefs are true?