Assertions about The Unknowable God

Assertions about The Unknowable God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
25 Jan 23

Why do some people say that God is unknowable and beyond human imagination, while also making assertions about God and Its attributes?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
25 Jan 23

@kevin-eleven said
Why do some people say that God is unknowable and beyond human imagination, while also making assertions about God and Its attributes?
Yeah, that's crazy.

Maybe it's like this - what is known about God is revealed by God, what is not know about God is his infiniteness because we don't have the capacity as created beings to comprehend the infinite.

Does that help?

F

Moves
25 Jan 23
1 edit

@josephw said
what is known about God is revealed by God, what is not know about God is his infiniteness because we don't have the capacity as created beings to comprehend the infinite.
This doesn't bode well for religions like yours, then - with its folklore, and detailed claims, and anthropomorphized characters - all recorded in books, rote learned and recited.

If there is a creator entity, perhaps as much as we can presently know about the nature of that entity is found in the universe and its contents.

Maybe that's all we can know about the ostensible creator entity for now.

Maybe the revelation is ongoing.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Jan 23

@kevin-eleven said
I don't know why do people say that God is unknowable when He says when we seek Him with all our hearts we will find Him. Someone is mistaken.

F

Moves
25 Jan 23

@kellyjay said
I don't know why do people say that God is unknowable when He says when we seek Him with all our hearts we will find Him. Someone is mistaken.
If "unknowable" to you can be rendered "knowable" simply through a search process based on the emotions and aspirations originating from "all your heart", then it is surely about as subjective as one can possibly get. You are talking about FAITH and not objective KNOWLEDGE.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
25 Jan 23

@kevin-eleven said
I don’t know anyone who’s said that, so I can’t help you.
Sorry.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
25 Jan 23

@kellyjay said
Paul spoke about God being an unapproachable light (possibly in Timothy) and Isaiah 55:8-9 says:

For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

That sounds pretty unknowable to me.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
25 Jan 23

@kevin-eleven said
there is no dark side of the moon
it's all dark

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Jan 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Paul spoke about God being an unapproachable light (possibly in Timothy) and Isaiah 55:8-9 says:

We can not reach up and pull Him to us, but He can reach us. On His terms which is Jesus Christ who is both our means to God, and is also the end, being God.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
25 Jan 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said

Is that really "unknowable", though, or just "smarter"?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
25 Jan 23

@bigdogg said
Is that really "unknowable", though, or just "smarter"?
I'd say both. Can an ant ever be said to know an elephant? (Even if the elephant tried to make itself known to the ant).

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Jan 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I'd say both. Can an ant ever be said to know an elephant? (Even if the elephant tried to make itself known to the ant).
Can you understand God without God’s Spirit?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
25 Jan 23

@kellyjay said
Can you understand God without God’s Spirit?
God doesn't exist.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Jan 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
God doesn't exist.
As if you know.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
25 Jan 23

@kellyjay said