1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Jul '22 00:07
    Banned posters keep returning under new accounts only to continue the same behavior that got them banned.

A waiting period should be implemented like for provisional ratings. A certain number of games must be played before getting a rating; this should be used for new posters to slow down the time before a banned poster returns to the forums.

This would be especially useful for posters who get banned multiple times as some of them may get tired of putting in the effort just to troll.
  2. Standard memberBeowulf
    Misfit King
    Moves
    21 Jul '22 02:10
    @vivify

Try buying a membership before you complain.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '22 06:251 edit
    @beowulf said
    @vivify

Try buying a membership before you complain.
    On a side note; Very Rusty has for years referred to non subscribing complainants, such as vivify here, as “non sub scum”.

This is a phrase which should be banned here at RHP.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '22 06:26
    @vivify said
    Banned posters keep returning under new accounts only to continue the same behavior that got them banned.
    Can you give an examples of these posters who keep returning and some indication of the behaviour which has gotten them banned please?
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Jul '22 06:45
    @divegeester said
    On a side note; Very Rusty has for years referred to non subscribing complainants, such as vivify here, as “non sub scum”.

This is a phrase which should be banned here at RHP.
    So I understand that that order of letters should be banned?

Or "scum" as such, as with the more colloquial term for excrements?
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    21 Jul '22 08:21
    @divegeester said
    When was the last time he did that?
  7. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    21 Jul '22 08:23
    @divegeester said
    Can you give an examples of these posters who keep returning and some indication of the behaviour which has gotten them banned please?
    It would be especially interesting to compare their behavior with your behavior.
  8. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    21 Jul '22 08:33
    @vivify said
    How can they be positively identified?

I imagine they would have to re-register using a different email address, and might even use a VPN to falsify their location or IP subnet.

If they are subscribers but not spies, how would they come up with a payment method associated with a different name and billing address?
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Jul '22 15:216 edits
    @kevin-eleven said
    How can they be positively identified?

I imagine they would have to re-register using a different email address, and might even use a VPN to falsify their location or IP subnet.

If they are subscribers but not spies, how would they come up with a payment method associated with a different name and billing address?
    That's irrelevant. A waiting period for new members similar to provisional ratings would slow the banned posters from returning. Exceptions could be made for paying members, but most of these banned accounts tend to be non-subs.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Jul '22 16:02
    @vivify said
    That's irrelevant. A waiting period for new members similar to provisional ratings would slow the banned posters from returning. Exceptions could be made for paying members, but most of these banned accounts tend to be non-subs.
    We plainly have some people coming back almost instantly with a new name. I agree that a waiting period before they can use the forums would be beneficial. And some of those coming back get to come back simply because they pony up the dough. So I'd be against an exemption for paying members. If you're going to have a waiting period for the forums, it should be for ALL new usernames. People who are brand new usually don't post right away anyways. They tend to test the waters first. It was almost a year after I joined before I made my first post. This is how we figure out someone new is actually a returner, because they post right away, talking about other users like they know them.
  11. Standard memberBeowulf
    Misfit King
    Moves
    21 Jul '22 23:10
    Sorry I'm late.

I brought a box of tissues.
  12. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 00:192 edits
    @vivify and @Suzianne: Thank you. Those are good points.

A problem is that a waiting period for posting would restrict real newcomers because of a very small number of troublemakers -- not necessarily a win for the troublemakers, but almost.

"Welcome! The forums are the heart of RHP, but keep your mouth shut for a month. Enjoy the site!"

Admittedly and unfortunately, the atmosphere in some of the sub-forums might already cause some newcomers to hesitate a while before participating.

Similar to @Suzianne, I think it was a year or so before I started posting in the forums. What a bad idea that turned out to be! πŸ˜‰

Also: speaking as someone who was falsely identified as a returning banned member (Robbie Carrobie) and mistreated accordingly by my own personal Javert, I request that everyone be careful with their paranoid witch-hunts.
  13. Standard memberBeowulf
    Misfit King
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 00:22
    Amen πŸ˜”
  14. Standard memberBeowulf
    Misfit King
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 00:253 edits
    🎡 πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
    Oh beautiful for heroes proved
    In liberating strife
    Who more than self, their country loved
    And mercy more than life

America!, America! may God thy gold refine
    'Til all success be nobleness
    And every gain divined. πŸŽ΅πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

Ladies and Gentlemen!

Elvis Presley!!

YouTube
  15. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 01:29

Removed by poster

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree