Why do high IQ people so often amount to nothing?

Why do high IQ people so often amount to nothing?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G

Moves
04 Apr 23

Harumph harumph

Planet Rain

Moves
04 Apr 23

@fmf said
Sorry, forgive me for contemplating my navel and lamenting the pitiful circumstances of my life. Indulge me, please. Why do so many people with very high IQs amount to nothing?
Why are so many complete morons successful?

Maybe it's connections. Morons like small talk, and small talk, however vacuous, greases the gears of the job market, establishes connections, and so on. "It's not what you know, but who you know."

Now, the high-IQ folks are disproportionately averse to small talk. Or so the received wisdom frames it. And though they may be brilliant in many things, it's often uninteresting to them to attempt to monetize their ideas or discoveries.

There. I've taken a stab at it.

IP

Moves
04 Apr 23

'And your wise men don't know how it feels, to be thick as a brick'

Ian Anderson, a long time ago...

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
04 Apr 23
3 edits

@fmf said
Sorry, forgive me for contemplating my navel and lamenting the pitiful circumstances of my life. Indulge me, please. Why do so many people with very high IQs amount to nothing?
I asked something like this a few months ago.

A young lady I knew in school had perfect grades and was one of only 2 students out of 650 to ace her SAT test, scoring a perfect 1600, and she did it as a sophomore competing against senior students 2-3 years older than her. She could have been a doctor, lawyer, award winning mathematician etc. but her only priority was to get married and raise children. Today she is a twice divorced grandmother living in a single wide trailer in a mobile home park. Perhaps these people simply have different plans for their life-

I'm inclined to agree with Ghost of a Duke's quote from Edison: “Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration.” It takes more than talent and IQ to amount to something.

A great piece of work on this subject is Angela Duckworth's book. Grit - The Power of Passion and Perseverance. 🙂

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
04 Apr 23

@soothfast said
Why are so many complete morons successful?

Maybe it's connections. Morons like small talk, and small talk, however vacuous, greases the gears of the job market, establishes connections, and so on. "It's not what you know, but who you know."

Now, the high-IQ folks are disproportionately averse to small talk. Or so the received wisdom frames it. And though they may ...[text shortened]... sting to them to attempt to monetize their ideas or discoveries.

There. I've taken a stab at it.
You make some valid points here. Also a ruthless ability to trample over folks helps.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Apr 23

@mchill said
I asked something like this a few months ago.

A young lady I knew in school had perfect grades and was one of only 2 students out of 650 to ace her SAT test, scoring a perfect 1600, and she did it as a sophomore competing against senior students 2-3 years older than her. She could have been a doctor, lawyer, award winning mathematician etc. but her only priority was to get ...[text shortened]... of work on this subject is Angela Duckworth's book. Grit - The Power of Passion and Perseverance. 🙂
Different plans? Maybe. Different priorities, for sure.

Everyone has different ideas about what it means to "amount to something".

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Apr 23

@the-gravedigger said
You make some valid points here. Also a ruthless ability to trample over folks helps.
A total lack of empathy Like Bojo & trump

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
04 Apr 23

@badradger said
A total lack of empathy Like Bojo & trump
Agree.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Apr 23

@suzianne said
Different plans? Maybe. Different priorities, for sure.

Everyone has different ideas about what it means to "amount to something".
my Mam was really proud of all her kids, we all had a better life style than my parents ever had, 3 of us opened our own companies all bought our own homes, now our kids are out performing us, both my kids have degrees and both teach.but we all lack that killer instinct that would take us up to the next level.

Moves
04 Apr 23

@badradger said
my Mam was really proud of all her kids, we all had a better life style than my parents ever had, 3 of us opened our own companies all bought our own homes, now our kids are out performing us, both my kids have degrees and both teach.but we all lack that killer instinct that would take us up to the next level.
Some folks aspire to “greatness”, some to “mediocrity”, some just don’t. 🤔

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Apr 23
1 edit

@great-big-stees said
Some folks aspire to “greatness”, some to “mediocrity”, some just don’t. 🤔
And some are great but others just smell like one.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
04 Apr 23

i sit onna mountain watching clouds go by
not contemplating what i haven't done
when asked by folks why i am this way
i tell them om mani padme hum

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
04 Apr 23

@mchill said - "I'm inclined to agree with Ghost of a Duke's quote from Edison: “Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration.” It takes more than talent and IQ to amount to something."
----------------------------------------------

I read a funny (but true) story about this a long time ago. Yeah, on *paper* lol

Anyway, A doctor quit his practice and spent his life's savings developing a life-saving medical device.
The doctor soon went out of business, as he lacked marketing and advertising skills and ability to get investors.

Meanwhile, a man went into business selling pet rocks and quickly became a millionaire.

lol

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
06 Apr 23

@earl-of-trumps said
@mchill said - "I'm inclined to agree with Ghost of a Duke's quote from Edison: “Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration.” It takes more than talent and IQ to amount to something."
----------------------------------------------

I read a funny (but true) story about this a long time ago. Yeah, on *paper* lol

Anyway, A doctor quit his practic ...[text shortened]... eanwhile, a man went into business selling pet rocks and quickly became a millionaire.

lol
Life is funny like that Earl!

My boss knew nothing about the job but had a management degree in business and became a millionaire.

-VR

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
06 Apr 23

@very-rusty said
Life is funny like that Earl!

My boss knew nothing about the job but had a management degree in business and became a millionaire.

-VR
One prof in a local college would tell his students for assignment,
"your company sells 12 oz. cans of air. make a marketing scheme."