If masks work why is covid increasing?

If masks work why is covid increasing?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
17 Nov 20

@metal-brain said
They don't work. I covered this pretty well in the science forum.

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/science/the-science-of-face-masks.187031

U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams explained specifically why they don't work early on.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/surgeon-general-explains-masks-public-coronavirus

He then explained the reasons why.

“On an individua ...[text shortened]... ring face masks all day could do more harm than good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHF1FE4sCDs
“ They don't work. I covered this pretty well in the science forum.”
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Yeah I’m not getting a clear picture of the science forum buckling under the weight of your intellect.

Fighting for menโ€™s

right to have babies

Moves
17 Nov 20

@trev33 said
Do they help enough for the environmental cost though?
Why can’t people just dispose of them properly, surely it’s not that difficult.

Z

Moves
17 Nov 20

@cheesemaster said
@vivify

Covid is increasing world wide.
Do you blame Trump for everything?๐Ÿ™„
nowhere does it increase like in the US. The more thorough the mask use is the less it increases.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
17 Nov 20

@cheesemaster said
People want an optimistic President.
Not "doom and gloom" Biden
...this is why more people voted for Biden than for Trump?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
17 Nov 20

@cheesemaster said
More people use them now than the first wave.
I don't even see people without them now ๐Ÿค”
you know About probabilty? The more People infected are around the ore they can infect...So talsk About incidence, but be Aware that we still are at the very low percentage of poeple who had it.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
17 Nov 20

@cheesemaster said
I don't think masks work.
Just my opinion.
If you wear a mask and I fart you smell it.
Bacteria and virus particles are smaller than fart particles.
I think masks are just a "safety blanket" to make people calmer.

People are wearing masks more than ever and covid numbers are higher than ever.
Maybe your fart "particles" are bigger than Virus and Bacteria, what you smell are not the particles, but molecules which are far smaller than nay Virus.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
17 Nov 20

@metal-brain said
They don't work. I covered this pretty well in the science forum.

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/science/the-science-of-face-masks.187031

U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams explained specifically why they don't work early on.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/surgeon-general-explains-masks-public-coronavirus

He then explained the reasons why.

“On an individua ...[text shortened]... ring face masks all day could do more harm than good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHF1FE4sCDs
Thread 187322

This is the way to link threads. I wonder how many scientist you convinced.

Moves
17 Nov 20

@cheesemaster said
I don't think masks work.
Just my opinion.
If you wear a mask and I fart you smell it.
Bacteria and virus particles are smaller than fart particles.
I think masks are just a "safety blanket" to make people calmer.

People are wearing masks more than ever and covid numbers are higher than ever.
Don't you have some "reverse mortgages" to peddle?
I guess life's been hard ever since they cancelled Magnum PI.

๐Ÿ˜บ

รœber-Nerd

Moves
17 Nov 20

@cheesemaster said
If masks work why are we seeing record numbers of covid when more people wear masks now than the first wave?
Because masks are only part of the solution.

More people wearing masks isn't going to help unless a) other measures are also implemented and b) there is a high level of compliance. If three people in a closely packed crowd of 500 wear masks, it isn't going to help much, even if those three people represent a threefold increase over the previous crowd.

The reason why America is seeing record numbers of infections is that a) the Trump administration has failed to set a coherent policy, and b) many Trump supporters in particular, taking their cue from Trump's own behaviour, have resisted practically all of the sensible, science-based recommendations put to them. Take a look at news photos of the Trump supporters who recently rallied near the WH: most of the people in the crowd were not wearing masks.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
17 Nov 20

@moonbus

I really don't think policy is the end-all, be-all moonbus.
Look at the UK, Italy, and others. if policies there worked, we'd be doing them

รœber-Nerd

Moves
17 Nov 20
2 edits

@earl-of-trumps said
@moonbus

I really don't think policy is the end-all, be-all moonbus.
Look at the UK, Italy, and others. if policies there worked, we'd be doing them
Several EU countries got it wrong, at least as wrong as the US (with its lack of policy and low compliance); they had the right policies but they did not stick to them, they relaxed the lockdowns too soon.

Look at the countries which got it right though: NZ, Singapore, etc. They had coherent policies, high compliance, and did not relax the lockdowns before the reproduction-rate was under control for an extended period of time. They are now able to re-open their economies and start recovering. The EU and the USA are both still struggling to get the reproduction-rate under control and are nowhere near returning their economies to business as usual.

รœber-Nerd

Moves
17 Nov 20
1 edit

@cheesemaster said
People want an optimistic President.
Not "doom and gloom" Biden
Yeah, optimistic, like "this will just go away by Easter." "OK, summer." "Er, ahh, there's a vaccine in the pipeline, maybe be announced by Nov 2." "We're turning the corner" as the US hits new records almost daily.

That's more like misty optics.

m

Moves
17 Nov 20

@moonbus said
Several EU countries got it wrong, at least as wrong as the US (with its lack of policy and low compliance); they had the right policies but they did not stick to them, they relaxed the lockdowns too soon.

Look at the countries which got it right though: NZ, Singapore, etc. They had coherent policies, high compliance, and did not relax the lockdowns before the reproductio ...[text shortened]... reproduction-rate under control and are nowhere near returning their economies to business as usual.
And if you want to focus on EU, then you can draw a comparison between UK, Italy, France vs Germany.
What is one country doing right that the other 3 countries aren't ?

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
17 Nov 20

@mghrn55

South Dakota, US, with its 800.000 population is having huge spike. More than have people have it, it is thought. And it is so low population density.

Meanwhile, China, with 1.4 Billion has fewer new cases than SD.

MB

Moves
18 Nov 20

@shavixmir said
Wow! I am truly amazed and impressed!
You have written something which isn’t paranoid delusional and is actually spot on.

Yes. Masks are only of a small influence.
Yes. There is a serious chance of people getting a false sense of security.

But as prime minister Rutte (the Netherlands) said: “All measures, even those that only help a little, have to be used now to lo ...[text shortened]... s around their faces anyway.. or white hoods on. Really don’t know what your problem is with it all.
They may not help at all. There is evidence that they may do more harm than good. Most people are not wearing masks properly and nobody is trying to get them to.