Rugby World Cup 2011

Rugby World Cup 2011

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
23 Sep 11

Originally posted by CER
Tri-nations vs Six nations.
Which is the best, will be interesting and I'm sure it will be the tri-nations 🙂
Well, so far the 3N vs 6N games have been much closer than I anticipated.
Wales held their own against the boks and Ireland beat Australia.

This just shows that we don't play each other enough. Super Rugby and Tri Nations every year - We need to break out of our hemispheres a bit more. 2 or 3 games in end of year tours are not enough.

Moves
23 Sep 11

Originally posted by Crowley
Well, so far the 3N vs 6N games have been much closer than I anticipated.
Wales held their own against the boks and Ireland beat Australia.

This just shows that we don't play each other enough. Super Rugby and Tri Nations every year - We need to break out of our hemispheres a bit more. 2 or 3 games in end of year tours are not enough.
I must agree with you, and when they do play, most of the time the players are tired or injured after a hectic season( Currie Cup, Super rugby and Tri-Nations. It would be great if the top 3 6n teams vs the 3n teams in a tournament every second year.

Moves
23 Sep 11

Originally posted by CER
I must agree with you, and when they do play, most of the time the players are tired or injured after a hectic season( Currie Cup, Super rugby and Tri-Nations. It would be great if the top 3 6n teams vs the 3n teams in a tournament every second year.
Any one from 4 teams can win the 6 nations every year, would be unfair to leave any of them out in such a tournament. Add Argentina into the 7 and you've got yourself a tournament, every 2 years is a stretch but why not every 4 years between world cups?

Probably not going to happen any time soon but would be nice to see.

rc

Moves
24 Sep 11
2 edits

Originally posted by Trev33
Any one from 4 teams can win the 6 nations every year, would be unfair to leave any of them out in such a tournament. Add Argentina into the 7 and you've got yourself a tournament, every 2 years is a stretch but why not every 4 years between world cups?

Probably not going to happen any time soon but would be nice to see.
The gap between the top teams and the emerging ones was demonstrated recently by Aussies against USA, its still pretty big. More so than I had envisioned at the beginning, thought it was going to be really much closer.

Moves
24 Sep 11

France aren't even trying 😞😵

Moves
25 Sep 11

Argentina will beat Scotland.
Like it was ever in any doubt 😵

p

Moves
25 Sep 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
The gap between the top teams and the emerging ones was demonstrated recently by Aussies against USA, its still pretty big. More so than I had envisioned at the beginning, thought it was going to be really much closer.
The gap between Scotland and Argentina is pretty big !
Going home before the post cards again ( Dick dastardly snigger 😏😏 )

Moves
25 Sep 11

Originally posted by phil3000
The gap between Scotland and Argentina is pretty big !
Going home before the post cards again ( Dick dastardly snigger 😏😏 )
It is only going to get bigger as Argentina becomes part of the Tri-nations next year. Scotland still have a chance to make the next round.

p

Moves
25 Sep 11

Originally posted by CER
It is only going to get bigger as Argentina becomes part of the Tri-nations next year. Scotland still have a chance to make the next round.
The next round of drinks back in a scottish pub !

New York

Moves
25 Sep 11

I'd like to see the return of full tours. I hate these trips to somewhere for one game. I'd like to see the All Blacks in South Africa, doing a lions-style tour. 3 tests, games against the Stormers, Sharks, President's XV etc. I'll go to a country for that, not for one game.

When the All Blacks played Munster a couple of years back, that was a real occasion - almost more than the test with the Irish.

Another thing, England are doing their bit with the Churchill Cup, but what are NZ/Aus/SA doing? How hard can it be to send a divisional XV to the US or Japan for a few games? It all comes down to money, sadly.

Moves
25 Sep 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
That's unfair, look at the first round of matches not the third when the minnows are too tired because of their unfavorable fixture lists. Look at Russia today, 3 games in 11 days. Samoa who had a real chance of beating Wales had to play 4 days before the Welsh match while Wales had 6 or 7 days to recover. Romania almost beating Scotland but having to field a weakened side against England to rest their players for the Georgia match a few days later. Unless you're one of the preserved top sides you've been royally fecked in this RWC.

rc

Moves
26 Sep 11
1 edit

Originally posted by phil3000
The next round of drinks back in a scottish pub !
sure thing, once we kick your A$$

rc

Moves
26 Sep 11

That's unfair, look at the first round of matches not the third when the minnows are too tired because of their unfavorable fixture lists. Look at Russia today, 3 games in 11 days. Samoa who had a real chance of beating Wales had to play 4 days before the Welsh match while Wales had 6 or 7 days to recover. Romania almost beating Scotland but having to field a ...[text shortened]... s later. Unless you're one of the preserved top sides you've been royally fecked in this RWC.
fair enough, but dont talk to me until after the England game, i am preparing my mind, in the distance i hear the banners full of cheer!

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
26 Sep 11

That's unfair, look at the first round of matches not the third when the minnows are too tired because of their unfavorable fixture lists. Look at Russia today, 3 games in 11 days. Samoa who had a real chance of beating Wales had to play 4 days before the Welsh match while Wales had 6 or 7 days to recover. Romania almost beating Scotland but having to field a ...[text shortened]... s later. Unless you're one of the preserved top sides you've been royally fecked in this RWC.
That's what happens when you're a favourite. This happens in any basically any sports tournament.

Moves
26 Sep 11

Originally posted by Swiss Toni
I'd like to see the return of full tours. I hate these trips to somewhere for one game. I'd like to see the All Blacks in South Africa, doing a lions-style tour. 3 tests, games against the Stormers, Sharks, President's XV etc. I'll go to a country for that, not for one game.

When the All Blacks played Munster a couple of years back, that was a real occ ...[text shortened]... send a divisional XV to the US or Japan for a few games? It all comes down to money, sadly.
I would also like to see the return of the full tours, with condition is that they do not field a so called " B-side " team to play the clubs/PresidentXV, they deserve the respect and the oppertunity to play best.

During the "Super XV" tournament we also have a Vodacom cup for our provincial teams which also includes a team from Argentina and Namibia taking place at the same time. We also have our main local tournament that begins in August, Our rugby season begins in February and ends in October if you do not include the end of year tour. I guess we could do more for the development of rugby in the smaller unions.