“I believe every word in the bible”

“I believe every word in the bible”

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
10 Jul 20
1 edit

@kingdavid403 said
I've studied many great supposed Christian Theologians who felt God's Holy Word was not accurate.
Presumably, you think that NOT believing that the Bible is accurate ~ or NOT believing that [what you say is] "the Word of God" is actually true ~ is of absolutely no consequence, right?

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
10 Jul 20
2 edits

@fmf said
Presumably, you think that NOT believing that the Bible is accurate ~ or NOT believing that [what you say is] "the Word of God" is actually true ~ is of absolutely no consequence, right?
Not for salvation, no. It is one Great path in diligently seeking Him out tho. To each his, or her, own.

F

Moves
10 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
I am not a Christian.
What better person than you to start a thread on this subject? I'll be there, go for it. You can reference me and my posts if you wish.
I do not believe there is any "salvation". I believe death is the end. Your assertions about not needing to believe in Jesus are meaningless to me. So, if you think THAT makes me a good person to start a thread on YOUR Christian beliefs, then ~ if you will forgive me ~ that makes it sound like your belief in "salvation" is something very wishy-washy.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
10 Jul 20

@fmf said
I do not believe there is any "salvation". I believe death is the end. Your assertions about not needing to believe in Jesus are meaningless to me. So, if you think THAT makes me a good person to start a thread on YOUR Christian beliefs, then ~ if you will forgive me ~ that makes it sound like your belief in "salvation" is something very wishy-washy.
lol, think as you wish.
Your assertions about not needing to believe in Jesus are meaningless to me.
Then why do you want me to start the thread?

F

Moves
10 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
lol, think as you wish.
Your assertions about not needing to believe in Jesus are meaningless to me.
Then why do you want me to start the thread?
Because the airing of the competing theologies about this issue would make an absorbing discussion. This forum would benefit from it. I would read every single post with interest.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
10 Jul 20
1 edit

@fmf said
Because the airing of the competing theologies about this issue would make an absorbing discussion. This forum would benefit from it. I would read every single post with interest.
Ugh...
Edit: There it is. Looking forward to seeing you there; as you said. 🙂

F

Moves
10 Jul 20
1 edit

@kingdavid403 said
Ugh...
Edit: There it is. Looking forward to seeing you there; as you said. 🙂
Good job.

If I contribute, it would be on the moral coherence of what people are attributing to the creator being they perceive.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
10 Jul 20

@fmf said
Good job.

If I contribute, it would be on the moral coherence of what people are attributing to the creator being they perceive.
Awesome. I'm sure there will be plenty for you to comment on soon. Buckle up!

Moves
10 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
Part 11
Okay, at the time this occurred, I was living in a strict Christian recovery program (not Teen Challenge); and, had been for around six months. It was stricter living than a damn Christian Catholic monk. I say this because Catholic monks at least had their wine, and many are well known to drink too much; as Luther, the Catholic monk turned Protestant founder. ...[text shortened]... hours earlier. What an awesome loving God we serve. 😊
This is what changed my mind. Thoughts?
Some years ago I went to see a stage production of "The Chosen" by Chaim Potok.

It ends with a quotation from the Babylonian Talmud:

"Both these and these are the words of the Living God."

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
10 Jul 20
5 edits

@caesar-salad said

It ends with a quotation from the Babylonian Talmud:

"Both these and these are the words of the Living God."
Exactly correct. 🙂 Awesome... Thank you.
Edit, and I hope I don't lose your like:
Jesus is also mixed into, or accepted by almost ALL other religions; even tho there are wars.

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
10 Jul 20

@caesar-salad said
It ends with a quotation from the Babylonian Talmud: "Both these and these are the words of the Living God."
So?

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
10 Jul 20
2 edits

@ghost-of-a-duke said
If we were talking about any ordinary 5 year old then I would say he wasn't accountable at all. Problem is, we all talking about the Jesus of whom John said, ". . . And in him is no sin."

So the question remains, Is the Jesus Thomas describes compatible with the one we find in John? (And I'm not sure, in this context, the age of Jesus or his humanity matters, as J ...[text shortened]... ver said Jesus was sinless 'after' the age of 5).

Edit: Is Jesus sinless or 'borderline' sinless?
Hey Duke,
What do you think about these scriptures of Jesus in Isiah?

[Isiah 7:14-16 NKJV] 14 "Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel. 15 "Curds and honey He shall eat, that He may know to refuse the evil and choose the good. 16 "For before the Child shall know to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land that you dread will be forsaken by both her kings.
Does this mean Jesus had sin in Him? No of course. What do you think it means? I don't know at this time. 🤔 🤔 🤔

Moves
11 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
Hey Duke,
What do you think about these scriptures of Jesus in Isiah?

[Isiah 7:14-16 NKJV] 14 "Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel. 15 "Curds and honey He shall eat, that He may know to refuse the evil and choose the good. 16 [b]"For before the Child shall know to refuse ...[text shortened]... us had sin in Him? No of course. What do you think it means? I don't know at this time. 🤔 🤔 🤔
Usually, that kind of language is figurative (and invariably land-related in the OT). We see similar in Deuteronomy 1:39:

'And the little ones, whom you said would become captives— your children who do not know good from evil, will enter the land I give them and possess it.'

The more I have looked into the Gospel of Thomas the more I understand why it had been discarded. It simply isn't compatible with the sinless Jess presented in the other Gospels and undermines the sanitized image of Him that they project.

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
11 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
Exactly correct. 🙂 Awesome... Thank you.
Edit, and I hope I don't lose your like:
Jesus is also mixed into, or accepted by almost ALL other religions; even tho there are wars.
What is it he has actually said?

Seriously, what?

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
11 Jul 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Usually, that kind of language is figurative (and invariably land-related in the OT). We see similar in Deuteronomy 1:39:

'And the little ones, whom you said would become captives— your children who do not know good from evil, will enter the land I give them and possess it.'

The more I have looked into the Gospel of Thomas the more I understand why it had been ...[text shortened]... ess Jess presented in the other Gospels and undermines the sanitized image of Him that they project.
The more I have looked into the Gospel of Thomas the more I understand why it had been discarded. It simply isn't compatible with the sinless Jess presented in the other Gospels and undermines the sanitized image of Him that they project.
Yes, I feel the same also.
However, all the other Gospels speak of Jesus when He was 12 disappearing from His parents and traveling party to preach and learn from the Jews at the temple. His parents had traveled a whole day without Jesus until they realized He was not there. That's got to be 15 or 20 miles by foot; and then, they had to turn around and go back and find Him the next day. Anyways, the whole incidence seems somewhat sinful to me as a somewhat disobedient child. Either way, He had his parents somewhat worried. Thoughts on that?