1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 13:461 edit
    Why?

This is a straight question to all but of course Christians and including myself.

I’ve been brought up to believe that the bible is the complete and infallible word of God. Nothing can be added to it and nothing taken away.

Why? How do we know this?

There is a text in the New Testament which states “all scripture is useful for teaching” (words to that effect - needs a citation pls as I’m on my phone) - but what is “all scripture” or more pertinently what WAS regarded as being all scripture” at that time of writing?

Thoughts...

Edit:
    2Tim. 3 Verses 16
    All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness”
  2. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 14:315 edits
    @divegeester said
    Why?

This is a straight question to all but of course Christians and including myself.

I’ve been brought up to believe that the bible is the complete and infallible word of God. Nothing can be added to it and nothing taken away.

There is a text in the New Testament which states “all scripture is useful for teaching” (words to that ...[text shortened]... God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness”
    Protestant's removed about seven books of the original Bible 1400 years after the New Testament was written. All Old Testament books too.
    https://www.scripturecatholic.com/deuterocanonical-books-new-testament/
    This link shows how all those removed books related to Jesus. Jesus even attended the feast of Maccabees, (dedication) in remembrance of the victory of Maccabees, all thanks to God. Do you think they should have removed those books from their supposed Bible? BTW, I'm not Catholic.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 16:47
    @divegeester said
    Why?

There is a text in the New Testament which states “all scripture is useful for teaching” (words to that ...[text shortened]... God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness”
    We know the opposite, actually. Before the printing press, no two copies of the Bible were the same word-for-word.
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 16:59
    @bigdoggproblem said
    We know the opposite, actually. Before the printing press, no two copies of the Bible were the same word-for-word.
    And things have been 'taken away,'
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 18:00
    @kingdavid403 said
    Protestant's removed about seven books of the original Bible 1400 years after the New Testament was written. All Old Testament books too.
    https://www.scripturecatholic.com/deuterocanonical-books-new-testament/
    This link shows how all those removed books related to Jesus. Jesus even attended the feast of Maccabees, (dedication) in remembrance of the victory of M ...[text shortened]... Do you think they should have removed those books from their supposed Bible? BTW, I'm not Catholic.
    Why not stop asking questions to avoid answering them.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 18:01
    I predict this being the shortest thread about one of the most important topics in Christianity.
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 18:09
    @divegeester said
    I predict this being the shortest thread about one of the most important topics in Christianity.
    If I was a Christian (it could happen) I would be more likely to think an infallible God inspired the writers of the bible but that the writers themselves were not infallible and were capable of errors.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 10:361 edit
    @bigdoggproblem said
    You ‘know’ this how exactly? Only really possible to prove a negative if you are omniscient.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 13:15
    @dj2becker said
    You ‘know’ this how exactly? Only really possible to prove a negative if you are omniscient.
    Do you have a comment on the content of my OP?
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 14:08
    @divegeester said
    Why?

Yes is the simple answer. All scripture is inspired by God, however the words scripture and bible has changed over the centuries and it is only God who can now determine what is and what is not His original words.

All scripture is given for reproof and correction and for instruction but knowledge and understanding of all Scripture is not a required for eternal life. Jesus made that point clear when He said that He was the way the truth and the life.
  11. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 14:25
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Not true at all.
  12. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 14:323 edits
    @divegeester said
    Why not stop asking questions to avoid answering them.
    I basically did answer it. The whole Bible is God breathed or God inspired. I find it extremely sinful that the protestant's in the early 1600's removed those books from the Bible to make their own Bible. I've read and studied them all and I find no reason what so ever that they removed them. Those books were all in the Old-Testament Bible when Jesus walked this earth. He never said one word against those books or any other. If something was wrong with them, He would have said so. Just as He did to the Pharisees and religious leaders of that day. Jesus basically told them (paraphrased) that they were full of it and not near God at all; and, that their teachings, new laws and rules, were evil and not of Him or His Father. Good enough for you?
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 14:442 edits
    @divegeester said
    Why?

I think it’s a matter of faith rather than a matter of ‘knowing’. The problem is that when you start cherry picking and only believe the parts that you like who is to say you should believe any of it at all? For me it’s all or nothing.
  14. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 15:112 edits
    @dj2becker said
    I think it’s a matter of faith rather than a matter of ‘knowing’. The problem is that when you start cherry picking and only believe the parts that you like who is to say you should believe any of it at all? For me it’s all or nothing.
    Humm.... I know I was a Christian for decades with total faith in Jesus aka God; and, I sincerely did not believe the whole Bible to be accurate or true. It was not cherry picking either. I believe that God will show all true followers or worshipers in time; some sooner than others. Kinda like Paul, but maybe not so harshly or God intervened. However, everyone has a different walk.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 15:45
    @dj2becker said
    I think it’s a matter of faith rather than a matter of ‘knowing’.
    But faith in what exactly?
    In terms of believing the entire bible to be the word of God.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree