“I believe every word in the bible”

“I believe every word in the bible”

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
09 Jul 20
5 edits

@KingDavid403
Here's a good video on the debate. Gives both sides etc.

Edit: Some Scriptures I found interesting in Isiah that might pertain:
[Isiah 7:14-16 NKJV] 14 "Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel. 15 "Curds and honey He shall eat, that He may know to refuse the evil and choose the good. 16 "For before the Child shall know to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land that you dread will be forsaken by both her kings."

F

Moves
10 Jul 20
1 edit

@kingdavid403 said
Take it as you wish. It is what it is. 🙂
But you do understand, though, that what you describe as "copies" of what were "the original" texts, no matter how earnest you are about your beliefs and assertions ["It is what is", as you say], you do not know what "the originals" were exactly, and you do not know how faithful and accurate the "copies" were, right?

I mean, you really don't even know what century the oldest existing "copies" date back to, yes?

What if the copyists were even only a little bit as slapdash and as blase about your own assumptions and convictions? And then if all this were mutiplied by countless centuries?

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
10 Jul 20

@fmf said
But you do understand, though, that what you describe as "copies" of what were "the original" texts, no matter how earnest you are about your beliefs and assertions ["It is what is", as you say], you do not know what "the originals" were exactly, and you do not know how faithful and accurate the "copies" were, right?

I mean, you really don't even know what century the oldest ...[text shortened]... ut your own assumptions and convictions? And then if all this were mutiplied by countless centuries?
I've already given my story (and I'm sticking with it), and I've answered all these questions of yours already.

F

Moves
10 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
I've already given my story (and I'm sticking with it), and I've answered all these questions of yours already.
Good for you if you are sincere about what you believe. But do you think you are really making a strong case for the assertions you are making about "original" texts and the quality of "copies"?

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
10 Jul 20
2 edits

@fmf said
Good for you if you are sincere about what you believe. But do you think you are really making a strong case for the assertions you are making about "original" texts and the quality of "copies"?
Yes, I do.
[2 Titus 3:16 NIV] "16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,"
Good enough for me right there. Notice the word ALL.
As I said before, A Bible is not required for salvation, or to have a relationship with God. If it's not for you, then so be it.

F

Moves
10 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
Yes, I do.
[2 Titus 3:16 NIV] "16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,"
Good enough for me right there. Notice the word ALL.
A quote from one of the texts we are talking about? That's your go-to part of the "strong case" you are making?

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
10 Jul 20

@fmf said
A quote from one of the texts we are talking about? That's your go-to part of the "strong case" you are making?
lol... Yep. 🙂

F

Moves
10 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
Don't get the wrong end of the strick. We are similar in what is arguably a fundamental way. You assume the copies of the "original" texts are "well copied and preserved" - you JUST DO, AND THAT'S THAT - although you aren't really making a strong case.

Meanwhile, I assume the copies of the "original" texts are not "well copied and preserved" - I JUST DO NOT, AND THAT'S THAT - although I am not really making a strong case. We are both being honest. We are not so different.

F

Moves
10 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
As I said before, A Bible is not required for salvation, or to have a relationship with God. If it's not for you, then so be it.
So you believe that people from religions that don't refer to the Bible can have "salvation" too?

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
10 Jul 20

@fmf said
Don't get the wrong end of the strick. We are similar in what is arguably a fundamental way. You assume the copies of the "original" texts are "well copied and preserved" - you JUST DO, AND THAT'S THAT - although you aren't really making a strong case.

Meanwhile, I assume the copies of the "original" texts are not "well copied and preserved" - I JUST DO NOT, AND THAT'S THAT - although I am not really making a strong case. We are both being honest. We are not so different.
Well sir, you can study that out just as well as I can. Please let me know what you find. I'm not in this forum to write 2000 word essays. Sorry. 🙂

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
10 Jul 20
1 edit

@fmf said
So you believe that people from religions that don't refer to the Bible can have "salvation" too?
Of course! They do not have to be any religion.

F

Moves
10 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
Well sir, you can study that out just as well as I can.
What have you made of Bart D. Ehrman's work on this issue? Have you studied it?

F

Moves
10 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
Of course! They do not have to be any religion.
How does a Jew, for instance, who believes that Jesus was a fake and an imposter get "saved"?

F

Moves
10 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
I'm not in this forum to write 2000 word essays. Sorry.
Does this mean that, if you were to write a 2,000-word essay about the issue of texts being copied over thousands of years, you could make a stronger case than you do by simply quoting 2 Titus 3:16?

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
10 Jul 20

@fmf said
What have you made of Bart D. Ehrman's work on this issue? Have you studied it?
no, do you have a link?