“I believe every word in the bible”

“I believe every word in the bible”

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
08 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
There were no copying errors. They (Great Christian scholars of those days who had original copy's of all manuscripts) they would hire dozens of scribes at a time to copy those writings word for word. All the copy's by the scribes were gone over very carefully to make sure that they were word for word; otherwise they would not get paid or even worse etc.
Even with all that double checking, the human brain finds that sort of work tedious.

So, some of the checkers are mound to let minor mistakes go by, because of reasons such as: didn't want to bother, didn't want to get another person in trouble, etc.

In the first days, the books were not so well known yet, and were often copied by less than scholarly people. It was likely one person reading aloud, and another writing it down.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
08 Jul 20

@dj2becker said
Do you think a few copying errors can completely change the narrative?
Well, I will use my newfound omniscience and state that yes, much like biological evolution, many small changes over time can make big changes in the narrative.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
08 Jul 20

A favorite example from a grammar book:

Pardon impossible, to be sent to Siberia.
Pardon, impossible to be sent to Siberia.

The position (not even addition, nor omission) of the lowly comma completely changes the narrative.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
08 Jul 20
5 edits

@bigdoggproblem said
Even with all that double checking, the human brain finds that sort of work tedious.

So, some of the checkers are mound to let minor mistakes go by, because of reasons such as: didn't want to bother, didn't want to get another person in trouble, etc.

In the first days, the books were not so well known yet, and were often copied by less than scholarly people. It was likely one person reading aloud, and another writing it down.
No matter, they were extremely tedious in their copies and gone over dozens if not hundreds of times before approved. As I said, The penalty could be death if otherwise. They did not play around.
Also, in ALL days the books were well known to the people of that area and beyond. Even the great philosophers all read God's Holy Word that was written at that time. Socrates, Plato, etc. They got much of their wisdom from those parts of the Bible. Socrates was publicly sentenced and put to death; for preaching of our One True God. His crime: 'Corrupting the youth.' Greece had many false gods at that time and as we know, they didn't mess around.

Moves
08 Jul 20
1 edit

@bigdoggproblem said
Well, I will use my newfound omniscience and state that yes, much like biological evolution, many small changes over time can make big changes in the narrative.
It’s still an assumption without any actual evidence. You can’t ‘know’ that the current narrative did change unless you have a different narrative to compare it to.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
08 Jul 20

@dj2becker said
It’s still an assumption without any actual evidence. You can’t ‘know’ that the current narrative did change unless you have a different narrative to compare it to.
Not only did it change, some books were dropped entirely. Take for example the Gospel of Thomas, out of fashion now, but once regarded as canonical and authoritative by many branches of Christianity of the past. So, how does that work? A book is 100% accurate and inspired, until a group of humans decide to discard it?

Moves
08 Jul 20
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Not only did it change, some books were dropped entirely. Take for example the Gospel of Thomas, out of fashion now, but once regarded as canonical and authoritative by many branches of Christianity of the past. So, how does that work? A book is 100% accurate and inspired, until a group of humans decide to discard it?
Either you believe it was divinely inspired or you don’t. If you do, then you have to believe God would ultimately ensure that the right narrative got to us. If you don’t you can just as well stash it with the rest of your fictional books.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
08 Jul 20

@dj2becker said
Either you believe it was divinely inspired or you don’t. If you do, then you have to believe God would ultimately ensure that the right narrative got to us. If you don’t you can just as well stash it with the rest of your fictional books.
If you don't know, just say so.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
No matter, they were extremely tedious in their copies and gone over dozens if not hundreds of times before approved.
Citation?
Evidence?

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
08 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
When I changed my mind it was 25 years ago. Until then I did not believe the whole Bible to be completely accurate. I was most certain that through all the translations over thousands of years, and everything that has happened since then, there is NO way the Bible could be completely accurate.
Then, I found what I thought to be a complete contradiction in ...[text shortened]... s, it is true. I was dying of a terminal illness at that time and given 6 months to a year to live.
Part 11
Okay, at the time this occurred, I was living in a strict Christian recovery program (not Teen Challenge); and, had been for around six months. It was stricter living than a damn Christian Catholic monk. I say this because Catholic monks at least had their wine, and many are well known to drink too much; as Luther, the Catholic monk turned Protestant founder.
I prayed and fasted for a couple days and did not sleep much at all. I could not share this knowledge as I would be kicked out for being a descension worker. I asked to be excused from the day activities (prayer time, Bible Studies, work, school, etc.) and I used my health conditions as an excuse. I went into a light sleep like an opioid nod; you’re asleep but not really. Anyone that’s done opioids as an addiction knows what I’m speaking of.
Anyways, I had been praying for a couple days for God to show me which account was the true account. While praying this prayer I nodded off into this light sleep; and then, God chuckled and spoke to me in my head at this time (this is the only time God has ever spoke to me auditable; and, this is the only vision I have ever had). He then said: All versions are true; and, My Word you have is true; and there’s much more.
Then, I was taken back in a vision to the crucifixion scene. It was pitch black and one could not see their hand in front of their face without a fire. There were people gathered around in groups of around 12 or so at each fire they had going. It was so dark I could not even see Jesus or the criminals faces; I could only slightly see their feet and they were not more than thirty feet away from me in this vision. The vison then ended; it was not long, maybe a minute, and that is all I saw in this vision.
This vision showed me the kaos, grief, and confusion going on. This showed me how some witnesses saw and heard some things; and, others heard and saw other things. God showed me through this, how at first, both thieves’ did hurl insults at Jesus; and then, the one repented later right before death. Now my faith was greatly strengthened! Jesus just saved him right before death when he was just hurling insults at Him a couple hours earlier. What an awesome loving God we serve. 😊
This is what changed my mind. Thoughts?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
There were no copying errors.
Citation?
Evidence?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
Up until this time as a Christian, I rested my salvation on what Jesus said and did for the thief on the cross that repented. These discrepancies or contradictions shook my faith to its core.
Your salvation was dependent for 25 years on an account which you have only read in one of the Gospels?

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
08 Jul 20
3 edits

@ghost-of-a-duke said
It didn't change. I agree with you about Gospel of Thomas, Peter, Apollo, etc.
The Catholics do have many books and children's books of the accounts given in those books. However, they still did not add it to the Cannon as they should have ( my opinion and clearly yours). Those Gospels went much more into the early years of Jesus when a child. It was too magical for them. There were others also.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Jul 20

@kingdavid403 said
EDIT: I'm gonna throw in a little drama here; however, as God is my witness, it is true. I was dying of a terminal illness at that time and given 6 months to a year to live.
We are all dying, it’s not a drama.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Jul 20
1 edit

@kingdavid403 saidThen, I was taken back in a vision to the crucifixion scene. It was pitch black and one could not see their hand in front of their face without a fire. There were people gathered around in groups of around 12 or so at each fire they had going. It was so dark I could not even see Jesus or the criminals faces; I could only slightly see their feet and they were not more t ...[text shortened]... hours earlier. What an awesome loving God we serve. 😊
This is what changed my mind. Thoughts?
This is quite an account, thank you.

Edit

I’ll have a think about it, but the crux of it resonates.

My initial thought is that I think you should consider anchoring your faith in Christ himself rather than in the alignment of text which can be dislodged by many things.