1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 15:46
    @kingdavid403 said
    I know I was a Christian for decades with total faith in Jesus aka God; and, I sincerely did not believe the whole Bible to be accurate or true.
    What happened to change your mind?
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 15:57
    @kingdavid403 said
    Humm.... I know I was a Christian for decades with total faith in Jesus aka God; and, I sincerely did not believe the whole Bible to be accurate or true. It was not cherry picking either. I believe that God will show all true followers or worshipers in time; some sooner than others. Kinda like Paul, but maybe not so harshly or God intervened. However, everyone has a different walk.
    Practically what criteria did you use to decide which parts to believe and which parts to reject?
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 15:59
    @divegeester said
    But faith in what exactly?
    In terms of believing the entire bible to be the word of God.
    Faith in God essentially and trusting Him that every word in the Bible belongs there. If not how on earth do you decide which words aught to be there and which word aught not to be there?
  4. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 18:153 edits
    @divegeester said
    But faith in what exactly?
    In terms of believing the entire bible to be the word of God.
    For I, Godly faith is well explained in Hebrews chapter 11.
    [Heb 11:1-7 NKJV]

Chapter 11,
    "1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2 For by it the elders obtained a [good] testimony. 3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible. 4 By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts; and through it he being dead still speaks. 5 By faith Enoch was taken away so that he did not see death, "and was not found, because God had taken him"; for before he was taken he had this testimony, that he pleased God."
    "6 But without faith [it is] impossible to please [Him], for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and [that] He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. 7 By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saving of his household, by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith."..... You can read the rest of Hebrews chapter 11 out of your own Bibles.
  5. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 18:23
    @dj2becker said
    Practically what criteria did you use to decide which parts to believe and which parts to reject?
    Well, I wouldn't say I rejected anything. I just didn't believe that all Old Testament writings were still completely accurate today after all the translations by man, time, and culture. I always thought the New Testament was fairly accurate.
  6. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 18:27
    @divegeester said
    What happened to change your mind?
    That will take sometime. I will put it together and post it sometime tomorrow. As long as I don't die in the mean time or something major happens. 🙂
  7. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 18:451 edit
    @dj2becker said
    Faith in God essentially and trusting Him that every word in the Bible belongs there. If not how on earth do you decide which words aught to be there and which word aught not to be there?
    If not how on earth do you decide which words aught to be there and which word aught not to be there?
    Well, Evangelicals are currently trying, and have changed words in many of the newer translations of the Bible; which they control. Any newer Tyndale published translations; NIV, NKJV, KJV, etc. They all Have words added and taken away from them to fit THEIR personal beliefs which are NOT Biblical. Especially to fit their current political beliefs on abortion etc. It's really getting to the point that One needs to learn how to use a good concordance to translate the original Greek and Hebrew Scriptures.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 19:151 edit
    @dj2becker said
    This is two separate parts;

1) why trust god that the bible itself is infallible, complete and not to be added to in any way? On what evidence?

2) deciding which words to believe - once part one is answered, then this question comes into play.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 19:16
    @kingdavid403 said
    That will take sometime. I will put it together and post it sometime tomorrow. As long as I don't die in the mean time or something major happens. 🙂
    Ok I shall look forward to reading it, thank you in advance.
    Please don’t be offended if I challenge you about it.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 19:20
    Imagine this hypothetical scenario:

A new Christian unexposed to any Christian doctrine or teaching (other than the gospel of salvation itself) asks you these questions...

“Why should I believe the bible?”
    “Why should I believe it all?”
    “Why isn’t other historical scripture just as holy?”

Etc.

I feel these are important questions.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 19:222 edits
    @divegeester said
    Why?

This is a straight question to all but of course Christians and including myself.

I’ve been brought up to believe that the bible is the complete and infallible word of God. Nothing can be added to it and nothing taken away.

Why? How do we know this?

There is a text in the New Testament which states “all scripture is useful for teaching” (words to that ...[text shortened]... God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness”
    I’ve been brought up to believe that the bible is the complete and infallible word of God. Nothing can be added to it and nothing taken away.

Do you still believe this? If not what changed your mind ?
  12. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 19:281 edit
    @divegeester said
    Ok I shall look forward to reading it, thank you in advance.
    Don't worry, I will not. 🙂
    However, there's really nothing to challenge. Either you believe me or not. It will be your choice to believe me or not on what 'changed MY mind.'
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 19:32
    @dj2becker said

Do you still believe this? If not what changed your mind ?
    I’m not sure I’ve ever believed it, but I did accept it for many years. Now I’m just not sure and am asking the question.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 19:36
    @kingdavid403 said
    Don't worry, I will not. 🙂
    However, there's really nothing to challenge. Either you believe me or not. It will be your choice to believe me or not on what 'changed MY mind.'
    Well I might believe some bits and not others. So far I’ve not been particularly blown over by your reasoning about the ark for example.
  15. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 19:571 edit
    @divegeester said
    Well I might believe some bits and not others. So far I’ve not been particularly blown over by your reasoning about the ark for example.
    Well, I don't blow anyone. lol 🙂 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree