www.answering-islam.org

www.answering-islam.org

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
29 Apr 18

Originally posted by @fmf
What do you offer instead? Gloom. Fatalism. Impotence. Superstition. Maybe that cocktail has the power to fix the world's problems, although I don't see it myself.
Don't pretend to be ignorant about what the Bible teaches concerning the thing we're discussing.

What can be more positive than peace on earth? Man ain't gonna achieve it. That's realism.

If you don't want to believe the Bible, then believe history. You may make a temporary fix now, but eventually everything ends up burned and buried over by succeeding generations that make the same errors of governance again.

That is until Jesus returns.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
29 Apr 18

Oh well, you tried to come up with something trite, again. Didn't seem to work though.
You seem to resort to ad hominem when your arguments don't work.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
29 Apr 18

Originally posted by @secondson
They are a huge factor. I've heard that as much as 30% of biblical prophecy has been fulfilled.

Prophecy is a major component of the Bible that sets it aside from all other religions and their so-called scriptures.
Respectfully sir, the Koran also contains prophecies that its adherents would claim have been fulfilled. I appreciate you want to view the Bible as unique in this regard, but the evidence doesn't support this. The well known prophecy from the Koran foretells the formation of the state of Israel (but there are others, and more I'm sure that I'm not aware of).

'And after him We said to the Children of Israel, ‘Dwell Ye in the promised land; and when the time of the promise of the Latter Days come, We shall bring you together out of various people.” (17:105)

Again, respectfully, how would you respond if a non-Christian referred to the Bible as your 'so-called scripture'?

F

Moves
29 Apr 18
1 edit

What can be more positive than peace on earth? Man ain't gonna achieve it. That's realism.
The earth is more peaceful now than it has been for centuries, fewer wars, fewer people affected by wars, people have more security etc. etc. If you think your prayers have helped bring this about, then good for you. Certainly billions of people who are benefiting from the changes for the better have been praying to their various god figures. It can do no harm as far as I am concerned.

F

Moves
29 Apr 18

You seem to resort to ad hominem when your arguments don't work.
I am not sure what "argument" you think you have been putting forward. You seem to me to have simply been reciting something to me that you have rote learned that lingers stubbornly - and gets recited over and over again - regardless of events and facts on the ground.

F

Moves
29 Apr 18

Don't pretend to be ignorant about what the Bible teaches concerning the thing we're discussing.
I have had a look at "the thing we're discussing" for myself and the Bible teaches us nothing about it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Apr 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
You tell me? Have you looked into it? Are prophecies even a determining factor for religious truth?
Dodging yet another basic theological question? How many have you dodged in just the last 48 hours? A dozen?

Your claim of having a degree in theology is revealed as a fabrication more and more every day.

But keep digging, Heartpence.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Apr 18

Respectfully sir, the Koran also contains prophecies that its adherents would claim have been fulfilled. I appreciate you want to view the Bible as unique in this regard, but the evidence doesn't support this. The well known prophecy from the Koran foretells the formation of the state of Israel (but there are others, and more I'm sure that I'm not a ...[text shortened]... y, how would you respond if a non-Christian referred to the Bible as your 'so-called scripture'?
Are you aware that Judaism and Christianity predate Islam?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
29 Apr 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
Are you aware that Judaism and Christianity predate Islam?
Of course. Why?!

Are you aware that Hinduism predates Judaism and Christianity?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
29 Apr 18

Originally posted by @romans1009

Dodging yet another basic theological question? How many have you dodged in just the last 48 hours? A dozen?
Remind me, weren't you the chap who thought the immaculate conception referred to the birth of Jesus? (Or was that the other chap? )

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
29 Apr 18

Respectfully sir, the Koran also contains prophecies that its adherents would claim have been fulfilled. I appreciate you want to view the Bible as unique in this regard, but the evidence doesn't support this. The well known prophecy from the Koran foretells the formation of the state of Israel (but there are others, and more I'm sure that I'm not a ...[text shortened]... y, how would you respond if a non-Christian referred to the Bible as your 'so-called scripture'?
I appreciate your thoughtful post Ghostly sir. I'll try to reply in kind.

"Respectfully sir, the Koran also contains prophecies that its adherents would claim have been fulfilled."

Having not read much of the Koran, but based on what I've heard from those who are more familiar with its content, it appears Mohamed borrowed heavily from the Old Testament, so it's no surprise that what prophecies the Koran contains would have some fulfillment.

As far as my response to non-Christians referring to the Bible as 'so-called scripture' is concerned, I would not be personally offended. I worship the God of the Bible. Not a book. Besides, what difference does it make how people characterize the Bible? Not one jot or tittle will ever pass away anyway. I'm not worried. 🙂

w

Moves
29 Apr 18
1 edit

I have often consulted the Answering Islam website over the years ~ maybe the last time was in about January. I just tried to have a look and it has been blocked by Indonesia's Ministry of Communications and Information.

The reason given is that it falls foul of the SARA principle ~ stands for "Suku , Agama, Ras, dan Antar Golongan" ~ disallowing 'hate spee ...[text shortened]... ot sure what exact day the decision was made to block it, but it was a bad day for this country.
Thank God they blocked it.

Can you imagine people discussing things that might offend you?

We all need to come together and think and act the exact same way in order to maintain our utopia.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
29 Apr 18

I have had a look at "the thing we're discussing" for myself and the Bible teaches us nothing about it.
Does your vocabulary contain the word 'extrapolate'?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
29 Apr 18
1 edit

I appreciate your thoughtful post Ghostly sir. I'll try to reply in kind.

[b]"Respectfully sir, the Koran also contains prophecies that its adherents would claim have been fulfilled."

Having not read much of the Koran, but based on what I've heard from those who are more familiar with its content, it appears Mohamed borrowed heavily from the Old ...[text shortened]... le characterize the Bible? Not one jot or tittle will ever pass away anyway. I'm not worried. 🙂[/b]
🙂 Fair enough.

Okay, how about a Hindu prophecy that can't be attributed to the OT? This one is rather interesting:

'As the Earth thus becomes crowded with a corrupt population, whoever among any of the social classes shows himself to be the strongest will gain political power.' (Srimad Bhagavatam 12.2.7)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Apr 18

Of course. Why?!

Are you aware that Hinduism predates Judaism and Christianity?
For the obvious reason that prophecies cited in Islamic “holy” texts may have simply been borrowed from the Old Testament.

What in Judaism or Christianity was “borrowed” from Hinduism?