Why the Bible?

Why the Bible?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
263d

God, as envisioned by Christians is all powerful, all knowing, ever present everywhere, all loving and all good.

So why would he leave the instructions on how to avoid being tortured alive by him for eternity to a team of Roman scholars who pull together ancient texts written by random group of disparate ancient writers hundreds and sometimes thousands of years previously and then have the entire population of the world, billions upon billions of his creations, rely on that collective work being interpreted accurately thousands of year later by the likes of KellyJay and Josephw?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
263d

@divegeester said
God, as envisioned by Christians is all powerful, all knowing, ever present everywhere, all loving and all good.

So why would he leave the instructions on how to avoid being tortured alive by him for eternity to a team of Roman scholars who pull together ancient texts written by random group of disparate ancient writers hundreds and sometimes thousands of years previo ...[text shortened]... tive work being interpreted accurately thousands of year later by the likes of KellyJay and Josephw?
Why would he?

He wouldn't and didn't.

F

Moves
263d

@suzianne said
Why would he?

He wouldn't and didn't.
Whoosh

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
263d

@suzianne said
Why would he?

He wouldn't and didn't.
Are you pretending that you don’t know about the doctrine of eternal suffering?

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
262d
1 edit

@divegeester said

So why would he leave the instructions on how to avoid being tortured alive by him for eternity to a team of Roman scholars who pull together ancient texts written by random group of disparate ancient writers hundreds and sometimes thousands of years previo ...[text shortened]... tive work being interpreted accurately thousands of year later by the likes of KellyJay and Josephw?
So why would he leave the instructions on how to avoid being tortured alive by him for eternity to a team of Roman scholars who pull together ancient texts written by random group of disparate ancient writers hundreds and sometimes thousands of years previously....

This is a distortion of the facts. The process of compiling a standard bible culminated in 382 as the Council of Rome, which was convened under the leadership of Pope Damasus, promulgated the 73-book scriptural canon. These were not simply a team of Roman scholars but were a team of bible scholars from many different backgrounds and countries. They had to draw clear lines of distinction between books that are truly inspired by God and originated in the apostolic period, and those which only claimed to have these qualities. This was a rigorous and intense process that included many hours of research and verification, which has been confirmed countless times in the last 1700 years under academic and archeological scrutiny.

- Your suggestion that this was just a bunch of Romans scholars making random judgement calls is clearly off the mark.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
262d

@mchill said

Your suggestion that this was just a bunch of Romans scholars making random judgement calls is clearly off the mark.
If you want to pretend that this nuisance is the key point of my OP, then go ahead.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
262d
1 edit

@divegeester said
If you want to pretend that this nuisance is the key point of my OP, then go ahead.
This is a legitimate refutation of your suggestion that a bunch of Roman scholars made unsubstantiated and random decisions regarding the accepted cannon. If you want to pretend I'm wrong, then go ahead.

F

Moves
262d

@mchill said
They had to draw clear lines of distinction between books that are truly inspired by God and originated in the apostolic period, and those which only claimed to have these qualities. This was a rigorous and intense process that included many hours of research and verification, which has been confirmed countless times in the last 1700 years under academic and archeological scrutiny.
You actually believe that the claim that ancient Hebrew and Christian scriptures are divinely inspired has been "verified" through the "rigorous and intense" work of "academics"?

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
262d
3 edits

@fmf said
You actually believe that the claim that ancient Hebrew and Christian scriptures are divinely inspired has been "verified" through the "rigorous and intense" work of "academics"?
No, I believe the scriptural authenticity, and translation accuracy of the Hebrew and Christian scriptures of laying out God's divine plan for humanity in a logical timeline from the beginning of human history through to the future of our planet is what the academics were trying to verify. There were hundreds of books brought forward for consideration, deciding what to include was not a 5 min. job.

-- Instead of trying to poke holes in the Bible, why don't you work on your endgames. At least you can improve at something. 😏

F

Moves
262d

@mchill said
No, I believe the scriptural authenticity, and translation accuracy of the Hebrew and Christian scriptures of laying out God's divine plan for humanity in a logical timeline from the beginning of human history through to the future of our planet is what the academics were trying to verify.
"No"? But wait. You are STILL claiming that "academics" through "rigorous and intense" have "verified" "God's divine plan for humanity" as laid out in Hebrew and Christian scriptures.

I don't see how they have done anything of the sort.

The notion that God has communicated his "divine plan for humanity" to you through ancient texts is a matter of faith; it is not something that is "verified" by "academics".

F

Moves
262d

@mchill said
Instead of trying to poke holes in the Bible, why don't you work on your endgames. At least you can improve at something.
Thanks for the advice. However, it's your claim that I am "poking a hole in", not the Bible.

F

Moves
262d

@mchill said
There were hundreds of books brought forward for consideration, deciding what to include was not a 5 min. job.
The number of books "brought forward for consideration" has no bearing whatsoever on the veracity of claims about how some of those books were deemed to be of supernatural provenance.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
262d

@mchill said
This is a legitimate refutation of your suggestion that a bunch of Roman scholars made unsubstantiated and random decisions regarding the accepted cannon. If you want to pretend I'm wrong, then go ahead.
I didn’t use the words “bunch” or “unsubstantiated”. If you want to pretend I did, then go ahead.

If you want to continue to avoid the point of my OP, as you usually do, then go ahead.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
262d

@mchill said
Instead of trying to poke holes in the Bible, why don't you work on your endgames. At least you can improve at something.
Oh dear; you are already downshifting into Very Rusty mode.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
262d

@mchill
Try this version of my OP and let’s see what you got.

So why would he leave the instructions on how to avoid being tortured alive by him for eternity to a team of Roman and other scholars who pull together ancient texts written by group of disparate ancient writers hundreds and sometimes thousands of years previously and then have the entire population of the world, billions upon billions of his creations, rely on that collective work being interpreted accurately thousands of year later by the likes of KellyJay and Josephw?