1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 17:50
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    It wasn't 'my' understanding. It was the biblical understanding.
    By the way, it's odd how much this post makes you sound like josephw and sonship.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 18:05
    @rajk999 said
    To get the free gift into your analogy we can stick Covid in there. Covid stopped the world from flying. Covid is analogous to the sin of Adam which came upon all men – both those who sinned and those who did not. Lets assume that Pfizer came up with 100% perfect vaccine and issued it to everyone through one instantaneous act. All people were vaccinated and can now fly… that ...[text shortened]... said not all people will use it, as thee are things to do to use the free gift of the plane ticket..
    This is a very interesting analogy.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 18:19
    @rajk999 said
    Now back to your analogy. I would say that your analogy describes the gift of God, eternal life, there is work to be done and things to do before you get on that plane. It does not describe the free gift or that part of eternal life [justification] that man did nothing to earn.
    The "work to be done", as you put it, in my analogy corresponds to "the packing, the taxi, the trip, the check-in, the departure lounge, and the boarding". This is analogous to walking the walk, so to speak.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 18:42
    @fmf said
    By the way, it's odd how much this post makes you sound like josephw and sonship.
    I made the statement as an atheist. Clearly (on account of my atheism) it is not my personal understanding/belief but what is clearly written in the bible and relating to the passages from scripture I presented you with.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 19:07
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I made the statement as an atheist. Clearly (on account of my atheism) it is not my personal understanding/belief but what is clearly written in the bible and relating to the passages from scripture I presented you with.
    Our interpretations differ. There are no "personal sentiments" in play. You can riff on that - as if it's a debating point - all you like.

Do have an analogy for the "free gift" in question?
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 19:10
    @fmf said
    Our interpretations differ. There are no "personal sentiments" in play. You can riff on that - as if it's a debating point - all you like.

Do have an analogy for the "free gift" in question?
    I didn't mention personal sentiments.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 19:13
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    It was packed with personal sentiment rather than biblical understanding.
    You mentioned them here. You've mentioned them over and over and over again over the last few days
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 19:18
    @fmf said
    You mentioned them here. You've mentioned them over and over and over again over the last few days
    Then stop sharing them. (Your personal sentiments).
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 19:23
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Then stop sharing them. (Your personal sentiments).
    I'm sharing my interpretation, not my personal sentiments. Riffing on this is just you deflecting.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 20:18
    @fmf said
    The "work to be done", as you put it, in my analogy corresponds to "the packing, the taxi, the trip, the check-in, the departure lounge, and the boarding". This is analogous to walking the walk, so to speak.
    Correct. The very little that one needs to do to benefit from the free flight is like the Christian walk and the good works one must do to get eternal life as Jesus clearly explained.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 20:291 edit
    @rajk999 said
    Correct. The very little that one needs to do to benefit from the free flight is like the Christian walk and the good works one must do to get eternal life as Jesus clearly explained.
    This was more or less a key element of my Christian faith [and the Christians I moved amongst... and still do to this day!] for nearly three decades and I arrived at it through a holistic consideration of what the Bible teaches.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 20:45
    @fmf said
    This was more or less a key element of my Christian faith [and the Christians I moved amongst... and still do to this day!] for nearly three decades and I arrived at it through a holistic consideration of what the Bible teaches.
    Many have gone down your road and disagreed with the church dogma. Its interesting that you can disagree with the church and still be in line with what Jesus preached.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 20:51
    @rajk999 said
    Many have gone down your road and disagreed with the church dogma. Its interesting that you can disagree with the church and still be in line with what Jesus preached.
    I lost my belief in the things Christians claim about the identity of Christ and the significance of his death.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 20:59
    @fmf said
    I lost my belief in the things Christians claim about the identity of Christ and the significance of his death.
    I dont think that matters or matters very little. What is critical is that you clearly [judging from you posts over the years], hold the teachings of Jesus Christ in high regard, being a model for righteous living. This and this alone, provided you are able to live the life Jesus said, places you miles above church Christians who belittle the teachings of Christ as works salvation, and have cast aside these commandments.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 21:01
    @rajk999 said
    I have no opinion on this matter.
    Dodge noted.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree