The City of water

The City of water

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
01 May 19

@sonship said
If the fine calibration of many constants of the universe to exquisite precision a religious tradition or knowledge from the discipline of science ?
Science examines the way the universe works. Religious tradition asserts that because it was supposedly created, humans must be capable of being immortal if they worship the creator and do his or her bidding. I think the two traditions serve different purposes.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 May 19

@FMF

I find the mythology you subscribe to to be not provable and not believable.

Many find your explanation of the grounding of human dignity to be flimsy as well as not believable and unprovable.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 May 19
2 edits

@FMF

Science examines the way the universe works. Religious tradition asserts that because it was supposedly created, humans must be capable of being immortal if they worship the creator and do his or her bidding. I think the two traditions serve different purposes.

When an Insurance Company sends out detectives to examine if a house fire was truly an accident or may have had intelligent and deliberate causes, are they being religious ?

When a Crime Forensics lab examines evidences related to the death of someone to ascertain the probability of accident of foul play, are they being religious ?

F

Moves
01 May 19

@sonship said
You just have the cultural effect of a sociological phenomenon which kind of serves the purpose but at bottom is only a religio / sociological effect?
I think the thing that I said that prompted this clumsy question was expressed clearly and concisely enough for you to know what I believe. Religious traditions are a manifestation of the human need to govern the societies and cultures they form while at the same time have a psychological role for humans as individuals.

F

Moves
01 May 19

@sonship said
When an Insurance Company sends out detectives to examine if a house fire was truly an accident or may have had intelligent and deliberate causes, are they being religious ?
"Religion": the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods and particular systems of faith and worship related to those supernatural beings.

I will answer questions about "religious" things that are based on the above definition.

I have no idea what the religious beliefs of any given insurance company detectives are.

F

Moves
01 May 19

@sonship said
When a Crime Forensics lab examines evidences related to the death of someone to ascertain the probability of accident of foul play, are they being religious ?
I can't know what the religious beliefs of such people are.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 May 19
1 edit

@FMF

Religious traditions are a manifestation of the human need to govern the societies and cultures they form while at the same time have a psychological role for humans as individuals.

Why should there be this NEED to "govern the societies and cultures they form" in the first place?

From where did this need to "govern" come about?

F

Moves
01 May 19

@sonship said
At bottom, without the psychological side effect of religious traditions, there is no real human dignity.
I think human dignity is real. I don't have any reason to think there is a supernatural dimension to it.

F

Moves
01 May 19

@sonship said
Why should there be this NEED to "govern the societies and cultures they form" in the first place?
In order to survive and work effectively.

F

Moves
01 May 19

@sonship said
From where did this need to "govern" come about?
We humans are social beings.

F

Moves
01 May 19

@sonship said
Many find your explanation of the grounding of human dignity to be flimsy as well as not believable and unprovable.
That is your prerogative and theirs, whoever those many are. I am not asking you to agree with me.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 May 19
1 edit

@FMF

I don't know.

Do you know anything ?

Do you know that you are not 15 minutes old only ?

Do you know the earth is revolving around the sun ?

Do you know that it is not standing still with the universe moving instead around it ?
Do you know it either way with 100% certainty?

Someone shows you a fossil and says that it is an ancestor of another living thing, a descendant, that evolved into another body plan. Do you know that that organism of which you have a fossil, had any offspring at all ?

F

Moves
01 May 19

@sonship said
@FMF

I don't know.

Do you know anything ?
Yes.

You are sounding facetious.

Are you building me to calling me names that allude to faeces and urine again?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 May 19
1 edit

@FMF

That is your prerogative and theirs, whoever those many are. I am not asking you to agree with me.

And it is your prerogative to state things like you are so sure of them with an inadequate and flimsy explanation.

Now what is the differene between Mt. Everest and Mr. Everest figure ?

Is everything to which you may say there is a "figure" necessarily not real ?

Does saying "God figure" assure that God is not real ?

F

Moves
01 May 19

@sonship said
And it is your prerogative to state things like you are sure of them with a inadequate and flimsy explanation.
I don't think my perspective is based on inadequate or flimsy explanations.